Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
Prep time:5 mins Cooking Time:10 mins Cuisine:Indian
The raw banana / plantain has fewer options to turn into a curry. And this recipe is one of those and THE most simple procedure to make in a few minutes. If you have sudden guests and have few raw bananas or plantain, you can try this quick curry.
It is called ‘Aratikaya’ in ‘TELUGU’ which is a South-Indian language.
I am quite happy, that whenever I try making this fry, I do get the crispy texture without sticking to the pan, same as my Mom used to make.
Just try this simple recipe of mine to appeal your family and guests. 🙂
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips which I mentioned at the end.
My Curry Collection here⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
- Raw Bananas / plantain – 4
- Cooking Oil – 4 tablespoons
- Salt – 1 and ½ tea spoons
- Red Chilli Powder – 2 teaspoons
- Turmeric Powder – half of ¼ teaspoon
- Red Chilly Powder
- Wash the raw bananas and cut into halves. (as shown in the pic )
- Peel the raw bananas / plantain.
- Cut them into pieces just as the size shown in the pic for reference.
- Put a non-stick pan on the medium flame of stovetop.
- Add 3 tablespoons of oil.
- Once the oil heats up, add all of the raw banana / plantain pieces.
- Mix everything such that the oil is coated to every piece.
- Continue to cook on medium flame.
- Keep mixing frequently i.e for every couple of minutes.
- After 5-6 minutes add the salt.
- Add ½ tablespoon of oil. Mix up everything.
- Texture of fry after adding salt should be just like pic below.
After adding the required salt
- After couple of minutes, the pieces will soften because of salt we added.
- Check the softness of the fry, by taking one piece and pressing against two fingers.
- It should mash up easily.
- At this stage add the red chilly powder and remaining ½ tablespoon of oil.
Final stage,before switching off flame.
- Give everything a mix and wait for couple of minutes to switch off.
- Raw Banana fry / Plantain fry / Aratikaya Vepudu is done!!! 🙂
- Cut the pieces such that they are neither very thick nor very thin. (follow the pic for reference)
- Cutting the vegetable is most important for the curry not to be sticky at the end.
- Keep mixing the pieces frequently so that it doesn’t stick to the pan.
- Do not add salt at the beginning.
- You can adjust the salt and red chilly powder as per your taste.
- Above Measurement of salt and chilly powder given as to match my family’s taste.
- Do not cover the pan with lid. Lid not necessary in this recipe.
- Raw banana / plantain curry / fry is a bit crispy but not sticky.
- If cooked by following all the instructions specified above the curry should be as perfect as shown in the pic below.
- This curry / fry is best to be served with white rice, brown rice, quinoa, millets, couscous.
Aratikaya Vepudu / Raw Banana fry / Plantain fry ready for serving!
You can Pinit here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category