Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:2 mins CookTime:10 mins Cuisine:Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
In Telugu cuisine we call soup without lentils as ‘chaaru’. Generally, a spice powder called ‘chaaru podi’ specific to this South Indian Soup is added to this recipe. It adds flavour, aroma and improves the taste of this recipe.
But, when, there is not much time to make the fresh chaaru podi / spice powder or when the powder is out-of-stock in the pantry, Amma (Mom) used to make this quick fix soup/chaaru. This requires very few basic ingredients, where in black peppercorns play the main role.
This simple recipe is considered as a lay man’s comfort food and even a millionaire’s pleasure food. It is also called as Tamarind Soup / Chinthapandu Charu.
How to serve / use, ‘Andhra Chaaru / Instant Soup’:
The first best way to have this dish is, as a side with plain steamed rice, along with some crunchies like papad, fryums, or fries. And not to forget a dollop of ghee to be added after mixing the soup/chaaru with rice.
Mushy rice is the preferred texture of rice to go with this charu. If mushy rice isn’t available, use your palm to mush the rice while mixing it with this hot charu.
This soup / chaaru tastes equally good even when taken as it is. Being a mild in spice recipe its suitable for kids too.
You can even add some boiled noodles or any bread on the side, which makes it even more filling on the tummy.
Health Benefits of ‘Andhra Chaaru / Instant Soup’:
As per ayurveda, this recipe is considered and trusted for generations together as a simple and quick home remedy for instant relief from sniffy nose, sore thoat, cough and cold.
It rejuvenates the taste buds when used as a post recovery food for any minor illness to serious health recovery.
Tamarind is high in anti inflammatory & anti oxidant properties, that protects against cancer. The tamarind puree helps in reducing body weight.
Main purpose of this dish is to boost up the immunity, irrespective of age group.
To conclude, this soup is suitable for Vegetarian,Plant Based, Vegan, Gluten Free, Diabetic, Nut Free, Soya Free, Kids Friendly, Weight Loss, Low Cals, Anti-Inflammation, Medicinal Diets.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Other Soup recipes here⇒ Salads & Soups
Daily meal platters collection⇒ Daily Bhojanam / Thali / Meal Platter
- Pappu Pulusu / Indian Spicy Lentil Vegan Soup (Instant Pot, Stove Top)
- Tomato Dal / Lentil Stew / Tomato Pappu (Instant Pot, Stove Top)
- How to cook rice perfectly (Instant Pot / Stove Top)
- Water – 4 cups
- Chopped Tomatoes – 1 cup / from 2 medium size
- Black Peppercorn / Whole Black Pepper / Miryalu – 2 to 3 teaspoons
- Salt – as per taste
- Red Chilli Powder / Paprika / Chilli flakes – ¼ teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder / Pasupu – ¼ teaspoon
- Sugar / Jaggery – 3 teaspoons
- Tamarind thick puree – 2 tablespoons
- Chopped Coriander leaves – 2 tablespoons
- Drumsticks / Munakkada – 1 (optional)
Ingredients for Tempering : (optional)
- Mustard seeds / Aavalu – ¼ teaspoon
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – ¼ teaspoon
- Asafoetida / Hing / Inguva – half of ¼ teaspoon
- Dry Red Chillies – 3
- Curry Leaves – 5 to 6
- Cooking oil – 1 tablespoon
- Crushed Garlic – 1 teaspoon (optional)
- Black Peppercorn / Whole Black Pepper
Step wise pics Procedure for Instant Soup / Instant Chaaru (No Powder):
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- The main ingredient here is the freshly ground coarse black peppercorns / miriyalu. Don’t try to use black pepper powder, which doesn’t do justice to the dish.
- Try to make even without adding tomato and drumsticks too. It turns quite good.
- Yes, it perfectly fine to use canned / tinned tomato chunks.
- While using fresh tomatoes, just go for ripe ones.
- You can adjust the consistency, by reducing / increasing the water quantity.
- Addition of drum sticks can be skipped, which might not vary the taste of this soup / chaaru.
- Whole Foods Plant Based option: Avoid the ‘tempering’ section to make it oil-free. But, adding the tempering part, for sure makes the dish more aromatic.
- This, Instant Soup / Chaaru, is very light on the tummy but gives an absolute soothing feel to the throat.
- As shown in the below picture, we had it along with plain steamed white rice topped with homemade ghee and fryums.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Instant Soup / Andhra Chaaru (No Powder Needed)
- Sauce Pan / Vessel (for stove-top method)
- Small Frying pan (for tempering)
- 4 cups Water
- 2 count Ripe Tomatoes
- 3 teaspoons Black Peppercorn / Whole Black Pepper / Miryalu
- 2 teaspoons Salt (or as per taste)
- ¼ teaspoon Red Chilli Powder / Paprika / Chilli flakes
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder / Pasupu
- 3 teaspoons Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Tamarind puree
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Coriander leaves (Chopped)
- 1 count Drumsticks / Munakkada (optional)
Ingredients for Tempering:
- ¼ teaspoon Mustard seeds / Aavalu
- ¼ teaspoon Jeera / Cumin Seeds – ¼ teaspoon
- ⅛ teaspoon Asafoetida / Hing / Inguva
- 3 count Dry Red Chillies
- 5 to 6 count Curry Leaves
- 1 tablespoon Cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon Crushed Garlic (optional)
- Firstly, wash the tomatoes and drumsticks. Chop the tomatoes finely and drumsticks 1 inch length wise.On the kitchen counter, take the whole black pepper in between 2 kitchen towels, crush them coarsely, with the rolling pin.
- Take the veggies into a medium size steel vessel / sauce pan. Add all these>>> coarsely ground fresh black pepper, water, salt, turmeric powder, sugar, tamarind puree and red chilli powder / paprika. Give one gentle stir, put the vessel/pan on stove top under medium flame.
- Bring the soup to boil until it forms bubbles, just like the pic above. Add a tablespoon of chopped coriander leaves.Switch the flame off.
- Put a small frying pan on stove top under medium flame. All all the 'Ingredients for Tempering'. Keep stirring, let the mustard seeds splutter. Then switch the flame off.
- Transfer the 'tempering' onto the soup/chaaru. Give a mix and garnish with one more tablespoon of chopped coriander leaves.
- Transfer the soup / chaaru into a serving dish. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later use, Pinterest Link :
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category