Recipes Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:1 hr CookTime:3 hrs Cuisine:Indian
Ugadi or Samvatsarādi is the New Year’s Day for the people of Andhra Pradesh, Telangana and Karnataka states in India. It is festively observed in these regions on the first day of the Hindu month of Chaitra (in March or April of the Gregorian calendar).
What is UGADI
According to a legend, God Brahma had created the vast universe on this auspicious day Ugadi, it is also said that the days, weeks, months and years were created in order to count time after which he had created all the other elements in the universe.
How is UGADI celebrated
The day is observed by drawing colourful patterns on floor called muggulu, mango leaf decorations on doors called toranalu, buying and giving gifts such as new clothes, giving charity to the poor, special bath followed by oil treatment, preparing and sharing a special food called pachadi, and visiting Hindu temples.
Finally we prepare delicious spread ,offer to God,share it among family and friends spreading the joy of this new beginning. Hence Ugadi the festival of New Year gives a feeling of joy, growth and prosperity.
What is UGADI PACHADI
The pachadi is a notable festive food that combines all flavors – sweet, sour, salty, bitter. In the Telugu Hindu traditions, it is a symbolic reminder that one must expect all flavors of experiences in the coming new year and make the most of them.
I prepared this platter/ bhojanam as an offering to God on the occasion of this festival.
My Festive Lunch Platters collection here⇒ Vindhu Bhojanam / Festive Lunch
My Daily Lunch Platters collection here⇒ Bhojanam / Thali / Meal Platter
This, Ugadi panduga bhojanam / Telugu new year festive platter has : [Please click on each link for its detailed recipe with pics]
- Ugadi Pachchadi / New Year Special Chutney
- Beerakaya Bajji / RidgeGourd Fritters / Turai ka Bhajiya
- Beerapottu Pachchadi / RidgeGourd Peel Chutney
- Stuffed Brinjal Dry Curry / GuttiVankaya Podi Koora
- Bendakaya Thalimpu / Bhindi Tadka/ Okra Stir Fry
- Mamidikaya-Palakoora Pappu / RawMango-Spinach Dal / Lentil Stew
- Instant Soup / Instant Chaaru (No Powder)
- Annam neyyi tho / Steamed White Rice (Instant Pot, Stove top) topped with homemade ghee or butter
- Mamidikaya Pulihora / Raw Mango Rice
- Gadda Perugu / Homemade Curd / Yogurt
My other Festive Thali collection here : Vindhu Bhojanam / Festive Lunch
You can Pin it here for later use , Pinterest Link :
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can find my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category