Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10 mins CookTime:10 mins Cuisine: Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
Mamidikaya Pulihora / Raw Mango Rice, is a South Indian traditional rice recipe. Here, I am sharing Andhra style (South Indian state) preparation method. It is mostly & frequently made during the green mango season i.e Indian summer lasting between Feb and June.
Now-a-days, we find raw green mangoes, throughout the year. But, I believe the authentic taste of any recipe involving these green mangoes, is well established only with the one’s available during the peak season.
Table of Contents:
- About ‘Mango Pulihora’
- Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Mavidikaya Pulihora / Raw Mango Rice’:
- Other recipes from my blog:
- Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Mamidikaya Pulihora / Raw Mango Rice’:
- Prep Work:
- Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
- Recipe Card & Print:
About ‘Mango Pulihora’
Mamidikaya Pulihora / Raw Mango Rice, is a South Indian traditional rice recipe. Here, I am sharing Andhra style (South Indian state) preparation method.
For South Indian festivals, like Ugadi, Sree Rama Navami and Varalakshmi Vratham this recipe is very much opted in the festive platters. Here is my collection for⇒ Vindhu Bhojanam / Festive Lunch
This, Mamidikaya Pulihora / Raw Mango Rice recipe is my first recipe of this season. It’s a Vegan, Gluten free, Travel food, Storage friendly, Prep Food, Kids Friendly, left over rice recipe.
Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Mavidikaya Pulihora / Raw Mango Rice’:
The best suitable rice varieties, for this recipe are Sona Masoori rice and Basmati Rice. I have tried with both and the outcome is excellent.
For a perfect out come, a perfectly raw green mango is the pre-requisite. So, always give a taste test before using it.
In case, the mango is not that sour, either add double the quantity of grated mango. Or just add few tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice, after switching the flame off.
Nuts to be added: You can add both cashew nuts and peanuts. Or else, you can add only one of those nuts. Just remember NOT TO SKIP adding the nuts, except if you have nut allergy.
When to serve: You can serve the dish right away. But, for best taste, just leave the dish covered with lid for at least ½ hr. So that the sourness of mango, the flavour of tempering to be well sunk into the rice.
Other recipes from my blog:
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Main course recipes collection⇒ Main Course
Traditional festive recipes here⇒ Traditional Indian Recipes for Festivals / Panduga Nayivedyalu
Dessert recipes collection here⇒ Desserts / Mithayi
Related Posts with ‘RAW MANGO’:
- Chinthapandu Pulihora / Tamarind Rice
- Mamidikaya Palakoora Pappu / Raw Mango Spinach Dal (Instant Pot, Stove Top)
- Raw Mango & Coconut Chutney / Mamidikaya & Kobbari Pachadi
- Mamidikaya Perugu Pachadi / Raw Mango Yogurt Dip
- Mamidikaya Pappu / Raw Mango Dal
- Rice (cooked) – With 1 cup of rice grains
- Raw Mango / Mamidikaya – 1( medium size)
- Cooking Oil – 5 to 6 tablespoons
- Dry Red Chillies – 5
- Green Chillies – 6
- Curry Leaves – 10
- Salt – 2 teaspoons (or) as per taste
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ to ½ teaspoon
Ingredients for Tempering:
- Urad dal / Minapappu / Split Black gram – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds / Aavalu – ½ teaspoon
- Chana dal / Split Yellow gram dal – 1 teaspoon
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Sesame Seeds – ½ teaspon
- Hing/Inguva/Asafoetida – ¼ teaspoon
- Cashew Nuts – 10
- Peanuts / Palli – 10
- Hing/ Inguva/ Asafoetida
- Cashew Nuts
- Curry Leaves
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Mamidikaya Pulihora / Easy Raw Mango Pulihora Recipe’:
Firstly, get the rice cooked and keep it ready. (see Tips section) Here is my post showing how to cook rice perfectly. Link⇒ How to cook rice perfectly (Instant Pot / Stove Top)
Wash, peel and grate the mango. (you need ½ cup to 1 cup)
Cut the green chillies length wise.
- Take care that the cooked rice is NOT sticky. Each grain needs to well separated.
- If using freshly cooked rice, you can spread the rice over a plate, dry it at least partly and then use it. The rice should not be wet.
- The measurement of grated raw mango might be between ½ cup to 1 cup. Depends upon how sour the mango is.
- Be careful, not to burn the tempering and grated mango. If the tempering is burnt, its better to make it again in another fresh pan.
- Adjust the salt and sour according to your taste.
- After the switching the flame off, mixing everything, using your bare hands, is the right way rather than using a ladle.
- Storage: Mamidikaya Pulihora / Raw Mango rice, stays good even for 2 days at room temperature and can be stored in fridge for a week.
- The taste of this, Mamidikaya Pulihora / Raw Mango rice is very much appetising.
- It can be served with chilled curd/yogurt and with any chutney/dip on the side. Or can be eaten as it is.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe Card & Print:
Mamidikaya Pulihora / Raw Green Mango Rice
- Sauce Pan / Vessel (for stove-top method)
- with 1 cup of rice grains Rice (cooked)
- 1 count Raw Green Mango / Mamidikaya (medium size)
- 5 to 6 tablespoons Cooking Oil
- 5 count Dry Red Chillies
- 6 count Green Chillies
- 10 count Curry Leaves
- 2 teaspoons Salt (or as per taste)
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- Firstly, get the rice cooked and keep it ready. (see Tips section)Wash, peel and grate the mango. (you need ½ cup to 1 cup).Cut the green chillies length wise.
- Put a frying pan on stove top under medium flame. Add the oil, let it heat and then add all the items under ‘Ingredients for Tempering’.
- Saute the tempering items, keep stirring continuously. Then add the dry red chillies and curry leaves. Fry them until the red chillies turn dark in colour.
- Add the grated mango and slit green chillies. Saute them by stirring continuously, until the grated mango shrinks / its raw smell is gone.
- Then, add the salt and turmeric powder. Mix everything well.
- Transfer the cooked rice into the pan and mix everything thoroughly but gently.
- Switch the flame off after 2-3 mins, until everything warms up. Transfer into a serving dish. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category