Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10 mins CookTime:10 mins Cuisine:Indian
Mamidikaya Pulihora / Raw Mango Rice, is a South Indian rice recipe. It is mostly & frequently made during the green mango season i.e Indian summer lasting between feb to june.
Now-a-days, we find raw green mangoes, throughout the year. But, I believe the authentic taste of any recipe involving these green mangoes, is well established only with the one’s available during the peak season.
This, Mamidikaya Pulihora / Raw Mango Rice recipe is my first recipe of this season. It’s a Vegan, Gluten free, Travel food, Storage friendly, Prep Food, Kids Friendly left over rice recipe.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
My Main course recipes collection here⇒ Main Course
Traditional festive recipes here⇒ Traditional Indian Recipes for Festivals / Panduga Nayivedyalu
Dessert recipes collection here⇒ Desserts / Mithayi
- Chinthapandu Pulihora / Tamarind Rice
- Mamidikaya-Palakoora Pappu / RawMango-Spinach Dal / Lentil Stew
- Chickpea Sprouts & Mango Salad
- Rice (cooked) – With 1 cup of rice grains
- Raw Mango / Mamidikaya – 1( medium size)
- Cooking Oil – 4 tablespoons
- Dry Red Chillies – 5
- Green Chillies – 6
- Curry Leaves – 10
- Salt – 2 teaspoons (or) as per taste
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ teaspoon
Ingredients for Tempering:
- Urad dal / Minapappu / Split Black gram – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds / Aavalu – ½ teaspoon
- Chana dal / Split Yellow gram dal – 1 teaspoon
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Sesame Seeds – ½ teaspon
- Hing/Inguva/Asafoetida – ¼ teaspoon
- Cashew Nuts – 10
- Hing/ Inguva/ Asafoetida
- Cashew Nuts
- Curry Leaves
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Mamidikaya Pulihora / Raw Mango Rice‘:
- Firstly, get the rice cooked and keep it ready. (see Tips section)
- Wash, peel and grate the mango. (you need only ½ cup)
- Cut the green chillies length wise.
- Next, put a frying pan on stove top under medium flame.
- Add the oil, let it heat and then add all the items under ‘Ingredients for Tempering’.
- Saute the tempering items and then add the dry red chillies and curry leaves.
- Saute / Fry them until the red chillies darken in colour.
- Add the grated mango and slit green chillies.
- Saute them by stirring continuously, until the grated mango shrinks / its raw smell is gone.
- Then, add the salt and turmeric powder. Mix everything well.
- Transfer the cooked rice into the pan and mix everything thoroughly but gently.
- Switch the flame off after 2 mins. Transfer into a serving dish. Done!!
- You can use any type of non-flavoured rice for this recipe, i.e.flavoured rice like Basmati is not much suitable. I used Sona Masoori rice.
- Take care that the cooked rice is NOT sticky. Each grain needs to well separated.
- If using freshly cooked rice, you can spread the rice over a plate, dry it completely and then use it.
- Be careful, not to burn the tempering and grated mango.
- Adjust the salt and sour according to your taste.
- Mixing everything, using your bare hands, is the right way rather than using a ladle.
- Mamidikaya Pulihora / Raw Mango rice, stays good even for 2 days at room temperature and can be stored in fridge for a week.
- The taste of this, Mamidikaya Pulihora / Raw Mango rice is very much appetising.
- It can be served with chilled curd/yogurt and with any chutney/dip on the side. Or can be eaten as it is.
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category