Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10 mins CookTime:10 mins Cuisine:Indian
Mamidikaya Pulihora / Raw Mango Rice, is a South Indian rice recipe. It is mostly & frequently made during the green mango season i.e Indian summer lasting between feb to june.
Now-a-days, we find raw green mangoes, throughout the year. But, I believe the authentic taste of any recipe involving these green mangoes, is well established only with the one’s available during the peak season.
This, Mamidikaya Pulihora / Raw Mango Rice recipe is my first recipe of this season. It’s a Vegan, Glutenfree, Travel food, Storage friendly, Prep Food, Kids Friendly left over rice recipe.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips which I mentioned at the end.
My Main course recipes collection here⇒ Main Course
- Chinthapandu Pulihora / Tamarind Rice
- Mamidikaya-Palakoora Pappu / RawMango-Spinach Dal / Lentil Stew
- Chickpea Sprouts & Mango Salad
- Rice (cooked) – With 1 cup of rice grains
- Raw Mango / Mamidikaya – 1( medium size)
- Cooking Oil – 4 tablespoons
- Dry Red Chillies – 5
- Green Chillies – 6
- Curry Leaves – 10
- Salt – 2 teaspoons (or) as per taste
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ teaspoon
Ingredients for Tempering:
- Urad dal / Minapappu / Split Black gram – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds / Aavalu – ½ teaspoon
- Chana dal / Split Yellow gram dal – 1 teaspoon
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Sesame Seeds – ½ teaspon
- Hing/Inguva/Asafoetida – ¼ teaspoon
- Cashew Nuts – 10
- Hing/ Inguva/ Asafoetida
- Cashew Nuts
- Curry Leaves
- Firstly, get the rice cooked and keep it ready. (see Tips section)
- Wash, peel and grate the mango. (you need only ½ cup)
- Cut the green chillies length wise.
- Next, put a frying pan on stovetop under medium flame.
- Add the oil, let it heat and then add all the items under ‘Ingredients for Tempering’. ‘Ingredients for tempering’ added to the frying pan
- Sautee the tempering items and then add the dry red chillies and curry leaves. Dry Red Chillies and Curry Leaves added to the pan
- Saute / Fry them until the red chillies darken in colour.
- Add the grated mango and slit green chillies.Slit Green Chillies and Grated Mango added to the pan
- Saute them by stirring continuously, until the grated mango shrinks / its raw smell is gone.
- Then, add the salt and turmeric powder. Mix everything well. Salt and turmeric powder added to the pan
- Transfer the cooked rice into the pan and mix everything thoroughly but gently.
- Switch the flame off after 2 mins. Transfer into a serving dish. Done!!‘Pulihora’ ready to be served after all the tempering is blended well with rice
- You can use any type of non-flavoured rice for this recipe, i.e.flavoured rice like Basmati is not much suitable. I used Sona Masoori rice.
- Take care that the cooked rice is NOT sticky. Each grain needs to well separated.
- If using freshly cooked rice, you can spread the rice over a plate, dry it completely and then use it.
- Be careful, not to burn the tempering and grated mango.
- Adjust the salt and sour according to your taste.
- Mamidikaya Pulihora / Raw Mango rice, stays good even for 2 days at room temperature and can be stored in fridge for a week.
- The taste of this, Mamidikaya Pulihora / Raw Mango rice is very much appetizing.
- It can be served with chilled curd/yogurt and with any chutney/dip on the side. Or can be eaten as it is.
You can Pinit here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category