Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10 mins CookTime:10-12 mins Cuisine:Indian
This, Simple Okra stir fry recipe is the basic curry I make with Bhindi/ Bendakaya. Its very simple but might be tough to get it non-sticky. I gave the tips I use to get it non-sticky even when the okra/ bhindi are not so fresh.
My kids love this stir fry so much, that they could eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner too.. haha.. Try this Vegan + Less Oil recipe of mine.
Table of Contents:
- Possible Alterations for this recipe, ‘Okra Stir Fry / Bhindi Tadka Sabzi’:
- How to make, ‘Aloo Bhindi Sabzi / Potato Okra Fry’:
- Health Benefits of ‘Tadka Bhindi / Okra Stir Fry Curry’:
- Other recipes from my blog:
- Short Video from my You Tube Channel:
- Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Indian Okra fry / Bhindi tadka / Bendakaya Thalimpu Kura’:
- Prep Work:
- Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
- Recipe Card & Print:
Possible Alterations for this recipe, ‘Okra Stir Fry / Bhindi Tadka Sabzi’:
Spices to add: You might add ¼ teaspoon of ground coriander / dhaniya powder for some extra aroma.
Adding other veggies: Veggies like>>> potato, carrot, cabbage, cauliflower, capsicum, onion. Adding any of these makes this fry more appetising.
How to make, ‘Aloo Bhindi Sabzi / Potato Okra Fry’:
Check the pic given below, I have added a large size potato (pieces), even before adding the okra / bhindi pieces. The final result tasted absolutely delicious.
One thing to remember is, add the other veggie first, fry for 5 mins and only then add the okra. This way, the okra / bhindi would not turn mushy. Anyhow, any other veggie takes more time to fry than okra / bhindi.
Health Benefits of ‘Tadka Bhindi / Okra Stir Fry Curry’:
Bhindi: One of the best reasons is that it is packed full of nutrients that are essential for good health. It has beneficial nutrients, vitamins, and minerals.
Helps to lower blood pressure, cholesterol levels and strengthen the immunity. Drinking okra water regulates blood sugar levels in diabetic patients.
To Conclude: This recipe is for Vegetarian, Vegan, Plant Based, Diabetic, Kids friendly, Gluten free, Low Cals, Weight Loss diets.
Other recipes from my blog:
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Curry / Koora recipes⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
Daily Meal Platters collection⇒ Bhojanam / Thali / Meal Platter
Lentil / Dal recipes collection⇒ Dal / Pappu / Lentil Stew
- Kakarakaya Vepudu / Karela / Bitter-Gourd Stir Fry
- Beetroot-Coconut Stir Fry / Beetroot-Kobbari Koora
- Thalimpu Senagala / Chana Tadka / Seasoned Chickpeas
Short Video from my You Tube Channel:
- Okra/ Bhindi/ Bendakaya – 250 gms
- Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Salt – 1½ teaspoons / as per taste
- Red Chilli powder/ Paprika – 1 teaspoon
- Jeera Powder / Cumin Powder – ¼ teaspoon (optional)
- Turmeric Powder/ Pasupu – ¼ teaspoon
- Garlic pods – 4 (optional)
Ingredients for Tempering:
- Urad dal / Minapappu / Split Black gram – ¾ teaspoon (optional)
- Chana dal / Senagapappu / Split Yellow Gram – ¾ teaspoon (optional)
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Mustard Seeds / Aavalu – ½ teaspoon
- Sesame Seeds/ Til/ Nuvvulu – ½ teaspoon
- Dry Red Chillies – 3
- Curry Leaves/ Karivepaku – 4 to 5
- Curry Leaves / Karivepaku
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Indian Okra fry / Bhindi tadka / Bendakaya Thalimpu Kura’:
- Firstly, wash the okra/ bhindi/ bendakaya thoroughly.
- Pat them dry on paper towels so that they don’t have water droplets on them.
- Cut them breadth wise into ¼ inch size pieces. Keep aside.
- Do not cut the okra/ bhindi into very tiny / very thin pieces which might make mushy.
- Try to dry / pat dry by any means after washing the okra/ bhindi. It means that water on this veggie makes it mushy, so try to get rid of.
- Prefer to use non-stick pan or cast-iron pan for frying.
- Do not add salt at the beginning of the stir fry.
- Do not cover the pan with lid at any point.
- Prefer to toss the pan or stir fry gently to avoid stickiness.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- Storage: This curry stays good up to 1 day at room temperature and up to 3-4 days when kept in refrigerator.
- The taste of this, okra fry / bhindi tadka, curry is medium in spice and texture is soft.
- It can be happily taken along with any rice, any bread, roti, chapati, paratha. or along with lettuce wrap too.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe Card & Print:
Okra Stir Fry / Bhindi Tadka / Bendakaya Thalimpu Koora
- Frying pan (for stove-top method)
- Kitchen knife
- 250 gms Okra/ Bhindi/ Bendakaya (2 cups when chopped)
- 3 tablespoons Cooking Oil
- 1½ teaspoons Salt (or as per taste)
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli powder/ Paprika
- ¼ teaspoon Jeera Powder / Cumin Powder (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder/ Pasupu
- 4 pods Garlic pods (optional)
Ingredients for Tempering:
- ¾ teaspoon Urad dal / Minapappu / Split Black gram (optional)
- ¾ teaspoon Chana dal / Senagapappu / Split Yellow Gram (optional)
- ½ teaspoon Jeera / Cumin Seeds
- ½ teaspoon Mustard Seeds / Aavalu
- ½ teaspoon Sesame Seeds/ Til/ Nuvvulu
- 3 count Dry Red Chillies
- 4 to 5 count Curry Leaves/ Karivepaku
- Firstly, wash the okra/ bhindi/ bendakaya thoroughly.Pat them dry on paper towels so that they don't have water droplets.Cut them breadth wise into 1 inch size pieces. Keep aside.
- Put a frying pan on stove top under medium flame, add the oil and heat it up.Add all the ‘Ingredients for tempering’ along with garlic pods (optional) and saute them.
- Now, add all the okra/ bhindi pieces into the pan and toss/stir fry in between.
- After 5 mins the pieces might be softened/ half cooked then add the salt and turmeric powder.Give everything a mix such that the salt is coated throughout the pieces.
- Leave it for 3-4 mins until its fully fried (as per your preference).And then add the red chilli powder and jeera / cumin powder (optional)
- Mix everything gently, let the flame be on for 2 more mins.Switch the flame off, transfer the fry/curry into a serving bowl. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later use, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category