Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10 mins CookTime:10-12 mins Cuisine:Indian
This, stir fry recipe is the basic curry I make with Okra/ Bhindi/ Bendakaya. Its very simple but might be tough to get it non-sticky. I gave the tips I use to get it non-sticky even when the okra/ bhindi are not so fresh.
My kids love this stir fry so much, that they could eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner too.. haha.. Try this Vegan+LessOil recipe of mine.
Health Benefits of Okra / Bhindi
One of the best reasons for consuming more okra is that it is packed full of nutrients that are essential for good health. Thanks to having lots of beneficial nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. Okra is not just delicious to eat but can be used to help lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels, improve your mood, and strengthen your immunity. Many people who have diabetes drink okra water to help regulate blood sugar levels (info from internet).
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
My other Curry/ Koora recipes here⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
Daily Meal Platters collection⇒ Bhojanam / Thali / Meal Platter
Lentil Stew / Dal recipes collection here⇒ Dal / Pappu / Lentil Stew
- Kakarakaya Vepudu / Karela / Bitter-Gourd Stir Fry
- Beetroot-Coconut Stir Fry / Beetroot-Kobbari Koora
- Thalimpu Senagala / Chana Tadka / Seasoned Chickpeas
RECIPE VIDEO FROM MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL:
- Okra/ Bhindi/ Bendakaya – 250 gms
- Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Salt – as per taste
- Red Chilli powder/ Paprika – 1½ teaspoons
- Jeera Powder / Cumin Powder – ¼ teaspoon (optional)
- Turmeric Powder/ Pasupu – ½ teaspoon
- Garlic pods – 4 (optional)
Ingredients for Tempering:
- Urad dal / Minapappu / Split Black gram – ¾ teaspoon (optional)
- Chana dal / Senagapappu / Split Yellow Gram – ¾ teaspoon (optional)
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Mustard Seeds / Aavalu – ½ teaspoon
- Sesame Seeds/ Til/ Nuvvulu – ½ teaspoon
- Dry Red Chillies – 3
- Curry Leaves/ Karivepaku – 4 to 5
- Curry Leaves/ Karivepaku
Procedure for ‘Okra fry / Bhindi tadka’:
- Firstly, wash the okra/ bhindi/ bendakaya thoroughly.
- Pat them dry on paper towels so that they dont have water droplets on them.
- Cut them breadth wise into 1 inch size pieces. Keep aside.
- Put a frying pan on stove top under medium flame, add the oil and heat it up.
- Add all the ‘Ingredients for tempering’ along with garlic pods (optional) and saute them.Finely fried, ‘Ingredients for Tempering’
- Now, add all the okra/ bhindi pieces into the pan and toss/stir fry in between. Bhindi/ Okra/ Bendakaya pieces added to the tempering
- After 5 mins the pieces might be softened/ half cooked then add the salt and turmeric powder.Salt and Turmeric powder added to the half fried Bhindi/ Okra/ Bendakaya
- Give everything a mix such that the salt is coated throughout the pieces.
- Leave it for 3-4 mins until its fully fried ( as per your preference).
- And then add the red chilli powder and jeera / cumin powder (optional).Red Chilli Powder/Paprika added to the pan fried Bhindi/ Okra/ Bendakaya
- Mix everything gently, let the flame be on for 2 more mins.
- Switch the flame off, tansfer the fry/curry into a serving bowl. Done!!
- Do not cut the okra/ bhindi into very tiny / very thin pieces which might make mushy.
- Try to dry / pat dry by any means after washing the okra/ bhindi. It means that water on this veggie makes it mushy, so try to get rid of.
- Prefer to use non-stick pan or cast-iron pan for frying.
- You can completely avoid the tempering part of the recipe.
- Do not add salt at the beginning of the stir fry.
- Do not cover the pan with lid at any point.
- Prefer to toss the pan or stir fry gently to avoid stickiness.
- Add the salt and chilli powder as per your taste.
- This curry stays good up to 1 day at room temperature and up to 3-4 days when kept in refrigerator.
- The taste of this, okra fry / bhindi tadka, curry is medium in spice and texture is soft.
- It can be happily taken along with any rice, any bread, roti, chapathi, paratha. or along with lettuce wrap too.Bhindi Tadka/ Okra Stir Fry/ Bendakaya Thalimpu in a serving dish
You can Pinit here for later use, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category