Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:15 mins CookTime:10 mins Cuisine:Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
Sweet Corn & Cashew Rice, a very simple rice recipe, which is absolutely appealing to everyone, from toddlers to adults.
I got to make this just for the sake of my little son who is extremely fond of sweetcorn. My little one, likes to eat sweetcorn in any & every recipe, even in ice-cream, if there’s one such! 🙂 🙂
Generally, he is a very picky eater, and plays tantrums in having a kids meal. But, today when I made this as a Friday meal, he excitedly enjoyed eating without any jerk.
And, OMG!, I was so pleased & relieved after such happy scenes!!
Table of Contents:
Click to Expand / Collapse
- Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Sweet Corn Cashew Rice / Sweet Corn Indian Rice Recipe’:
- How to serve, ‘Sweet Corn – Cashew Rice (Vegan)’:
- Other recipes from my blog:
- Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Indian style Sweet Corn – Cashew Rice’:
- Short Video Clip:
- Tips & Storage:
- Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
- Recipe Card & Print:
Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Sweet Corn Cashew Rice / Sweet Corn Indian Rice Recipe’:
Vegan options: Plant based plain yogurt can be used instead whole milk yogurt. Or else, just go for coconut cream, it works greatly too.
Nut free options: Just eliminate using cashew nuts in this recipe. Alternatively you might add a handful sunflower seeds (or) raisins. Fry them same like cashew nuts before you add to the rice.
Rice variety to use: Basmati rice suits best, but any other rice variety can be used as well.
To use fresh corn kernels: Yes, instead of frozen sweet corn, you can use fresh corn kernels too. But in that case, get the kernels boiled separately before using in this recipe.
Whole Foods Plant Based / Oil Free Option: Just add frozen sweet corn in a glass bowl with very little water / broth, put it in microwave for 3-4 mins. Add all the spices to the bowl give a thorough mix. Then add this to the bowl of rice. Mix well. Garnish & Serve. Of course, you will have to eliminate the curd.
How to serve, ‘Sweet Corn – Cashew Rice (Vegan)’:
Sweet Corn – Cashew Rice, is so delectable that you will definitely go for a second serving! Its very much suitable for kids lunch box, picnics, short travels, parties, gatherings.
This main meal, doesn’t need any side. It can be happily relished just as it is. Or else you could have a chilled bowl of yogurt as a side.
Other recipes from my blog:
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Rice recipes collection⇒ Main Course
Appetiser recipes⇒ Starters / Snacks
Curry / Sabzi recipes collection⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
Collection of Lunch Boxes for my kids⇒ Lunch Box
- Rice – cooked with 1 cup of rice grains
- Sweet Corn – ½ cup (frozen)
- Cashew Nuts – ¼ cup
- Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Curd / Yogurt – ¼ cup
- Onions – 2 small (chopped)
- Green Chillies – 4 (slit length wise)
- Jeera / Whole Cumin Seeds – 1 teaspoon ( heaped)
- Jeera Powder / Cumin Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Fresh Coriander – a handful (chopped)
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Ginger – 1 teaspoon (chopped)
- Garlic – 1 teaspoon (chopped) (optional)
- Jeera / Whole Cumin
- Jeera Powder / Cumin Powder
- Curd / Yogurt
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Indian style Sweet Corn – Cashew Rice’:
In a large size pan, pour the cooking oil & let it heat under medium flame.
Add the cashew nuts, fry till they turn light brown colour. Set aside.
Add the jeera/cumin seeds, green chillies, chopped ginger, chopped garlic(optional) and finely chopped onions. Saute them.
Add the sweet corn, salt and turmeric powder. Stir fry them until the sweet corn cooks well.
Now, add the curd/yogurt and jeera / cumin powder, mix thoroughly.
Transfer the cooked rice and fried cashew nuts to the pan. Mix everything gently.
Add chopped coriander and serve. Done!!
Sweet Corn & Cashew Nut rice, in a serving tray!!
Short Video Clip:
Tips & Storage:
- This recipe can be made with leftover rice or with freshly cooked rice.
- If you are using freshly cooked rice, let it cool off completely (to room temperature) before adding to the pan, this is to avoid stickiness of the rice grains.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- Storage: It stays fresh up to a day at room temp, but is a make ahead rice recipe, can be stored in the refrigerator and be warmed before serving.
- The sweetness of corn, crunchiness of cashew nuts and mild flavour of cumin / jeera, is what this rice recipe tastes of.
- On the whole, this, Sweet Corn – Cashew Rice, is so delectable that you will definitely go for a second serving!
- We had it with tomato ketchup/sauce & Indian crisps, and my kids happily devoured it!!
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe Card & Print:
Sweet Corn – Cashew Rice (Quick & Easy, Vegan Rice Dinner)
- 1 cup Rice Grains (cooked)
- ½ cup Sweet Corn (frozen)
- ¼ cup Cashew Nuts
- 3 tablespoons Cooking Oil
- ¼ cup Curd/Yogurt
- 2 count Onions (small size) (chopped)
- 4 count Green Chillies (small size) (slit length wise)
- 1 heaped teaspoon Jeera / Whole Cumin Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Jeera / Cumin Powder
- Salt (or as per taste)
- 1 handful Fresh Coriander (finely chopped)
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ginger (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Garlic (chopped) (optional)
- In a large size pan, pour the cooking oil & let it heat under medium flame. Add the cashew nuts, fry till they turn light brown colour. Set aside
- Add the jeera/cumin seeds, green chillies, chopped ginger, chopped garlic(optional) and finely chopped onions. Saute them.
- Add the sweet corn, salt and turmeric powder. Stir fry them until the sweet corn cooks well.
- Now, add the curd/yogurt and jeera / cumin powder, mix thoroughly
- Transfer the cooked rice and fried cashew nuts to the pan. Mix everything gently.
- Add chopped coriander and serve. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category