Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:20 mins CookTime:Given Below Cuisine:Indian
Green Beans Masala Rice, made in my ELECTRIC PRESSURE COOKER, a quick one-pot meal made with fresh green beans, also called as French beans, as the main ingredient. I always wondered if there’s a one-pot meal just with these fresh beans… and here it is posting the recipe which I experimented.
In this recipe, I just included very few basic ingredients from the kitchen counter, as my target was to prepare a rice recipe without any major prep. It would be more tastier to have this, Green Beans Masala Rice, with a spicy curry on the side, though you can have it with any spicy sauce & raita too!!
Health Benefits of GREEN BEANS:
Green Beans are low in calories, low in fat, source of energy. But they are nutrient dense, rich in dietary fiber, folic acid, Vitamin C & K. Hence, these are good for pregnant ladies & feeding mothers.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Rice recipes collection here⇒ Main Course
Instant Pot recipes collection⇒ Instant Pot / Electric Pressure Cooker Recipes
Curry / Sabzi recipes collection⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
Raita recipes collection here⇒ Chutney / Dip
- Lentils & Veg Rice
- Pudina-Carrot Rice / Mint-Carrot Rice
- Sweet Corn & Cashew Rice
- Tri-Capsicum Chinese Fried Rice
- Uncooked Basmati Rice / Long Grain Rice – 1 cup
- Water – 1 cup (for soaking & cooking)
- Green Beans – ¾ cup (fresh / frozen)
- Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Onions – 2 (medium size)
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Garlic – 2 pods (optional)
- Bay leaves – 3
- Green Chillies – 2
- Black Cumin Seeds / Sha Jeera – 1 teaspoon
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
Fresh Coriander Leaves – 2 twigs
- Black Cumin Seeds
- Garam Masala Powder
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Green Beans Masala Rice’:
PREP WORK (for both methods):
- Wash the rice thoroughly 2 to 3 times. Add water and set aside for at least 20 mins.
- Chop the onions, beans, ginger and garlic (optional). Slit the green chillies length wise.
STOVE-TOP METHOD (time:15 mins)
INSTANT POT / ELECTRIC PRESSURE COOKER METHOD:
- Adjust the salt & spice, as per your taste.
- Rice:Water ratio for Stove top is 1:1½ ; Rice Cooker is 1:1¼; Instant Pot is 1:1.
- Soaking of rice is very important, this makes rice to cook fluffy.
- Instead of chopped ginger & garlic, you can add 1 teaspoon of ginger-garlic paste too.
- The quantity of water might slightly vary with the quality of the rice.
- The measurement for rice:water is main, for the cooked rice to have perfect texture.
- Stove-top pressure cooker: Just follow the same recipe as instant pot, but let the rice cook for 3 whistles.
- This, Green Beans Masala Rice, stays good for 2 days at room temperature.
- It can also be stored in refrigerator for a week, and can be re-heated before serving.
- It would be more tastier to have this, Green Beans Masala Rice, with a spicy curry on the side, though you can have it with any spicy sauce & raita too!!
- My kids had it just with the raita, but we both had Aloo korma as a side.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Green Beans Masala Rice
- Sauce Pan / Vessel (for stove-top method)
- Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker
- 1 cup Basmati Rice / Long Grain Rice (uncooked)
- 1 cup Water (for soaking & cooking)
- ¾ cup Green Beans (fresh / frozen)
- 3 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 2 Onions (medium size)
- 1 inch Ginger (piece)
- 2 count Garlic (pods)
- 3 count Bay leaves
- 5 count Fresh Green Chillies
- 1 teaspoon Black Cumin Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1½ teaspoons Cooking Salt (or as per taste)
- 2 twigs Fresh Coriander Leaves
PREP WORK (for both methods):
- Wash the rice thoroughly 2 to 3 times. Add water and set aside for at least 20 mins.Chop the onions, beans, ginger and garlic (optional). Slit the green chillies length wise.
- Put a medium size pan / vessel on stove top under medium flame. Add the oil & heat. Add chopped onion,ginger,garlic,bay leaves and slit green chillies. Saute.
- When the onions become transparent, transfer all the beans pieces, and salt into the pan. Mix them.
- Now, transfer the rice along with the soaked water and additional ½ cup of water, garam masala powder. Mix everything gently, so that the rice doesn't break/crack.
- Close the lid, cook under medium flame for 10 mins. Give a mix, change the flame to low, cook for more 5 mins.
- Once the rice is cooked, gently fluff up with a fork and garnish with chopped coriander. Done!!
INSTANT POT / ELECTRIC PRESSURE COOKER METHOD(time:8 mins)
- Switch the gadget on, set to SAUTE mode, for 3 mins. Add the oil, chopped onions, ginger, garlic (optional), slit green chillies, whole black cumin, bay leaves. Fry them.
- When the onions become transparent, transfer all the beans, garam masala powder and salt. Saute them for 30 sec.
- Transfer the rice along with all the soaked water, gently mix everything.Close the lid & valve. Set to PRESSURE COOK mode, under HIGH PRESSURE, for 5 mins.
- Release the pressure naturally (NPR) & open the lid. Using a fork, fluff up the rice gently, garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category