Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:15 mins CookTime:15 mins Cuisine:Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
Kadai Paneer (Karahi Paneer) aka Capsicum Paneer Masala Curry made in a Kadai, is one of the popular menu items of any Indian restaurant / Indian dhaba.
Kadai means stove top thick sturdy iron pan / Wok. Paneer is the authentic Indian style cheese. Bell Peppers Paneer Masala is a simple Indian curry recipe is made just within 15 mins of active cooking time. Prepared in only 4 main steps.
This curry has 2 versions, Kadai Paneer Gravy and Kadai Paneer Dry. I have given the alterations to make the same recipe into gravy style. But, I prepared semi gravy style.
It can be savoured by the entire family. So, please do try and let me know how you liked it. 🙂
Table of Contents:
- Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Kadai Paneer (Indian Restaurant style Curry)’:
- How to serve, ‘Kadai Paneer / Bell Peppers Paneer Masala Curry’:
- Other recipes from my blog:
- Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Easy Kadai Paneer / Capsicum Paneer Masala Curry’:
- Prep Work:
- Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
- Recipe Card & Print:
Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Kadai Paneer (Indian Restaurant style Curry)’:
Colour of bell pepper / capsicum: Green coloured ones are more spicy when compared to other colour capsicum. But you can use any for this recipe.
Using canned tomato puree: In that case add 1 cup of puree.
More Ingredients to add: Kasuri methi (1 teaspoon) can be added just before switching the flame off.
Making Kadai Paneer Gravy: You need add ½ cup more of tomato puree, to get the free flow gravy consistency for this dish. And switching the flame off well before is one more tip.
Dry Kadai Paneer: Instead of adding tomato puree, you need to add only one diced tomato.
How to serve, ‘Kadai Paneer / Bell Peppers Paneer Masala Curry’:
Kadai Paneer or Karahi Paneer is best tasted when served with butter naan (or) garlic naan. That is how it is served in any Indian dhaba (or) Indian restaurant.
The next option is it can be served as one of the side dishes for any of these Indian Pulav rice recipes.
- Methi Pulao / Rice with Fenugreek Leaves
- Spinach & Chickpeas Pulao Rice (South Indian style)
- Green Moong Beans (Sprouts) Pulao (Instant Pot / Stove top)
- Jeera Pulao / Cumin Rice (Instant Pot, Stove Top)
- Green Beans Masala Rice
Other recipes from my blog:
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Curry recipes collection⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
Air Fryer recipes collection⇒ Air – Fryer Recipes
Main Course recipes collection⇒ Main Course
Related Posts with ‘PANEER’:
- Indian Paneer Korma Curry / Paneer Kurma
- Palak Paneer / Spinach Paneer (Instant Pot, Stove Top)
- Matar Paneer / Mutter Paneer Curry
- Chilli Paneer Dry (Air Fryer / Stove Top)
- Paneer Grilled Sandwich (Air Fryer or Pan)
- Mango Kalakand Burfi / Fudge
Follow me on⇒ Facebook / Pinterest / YouTube / Instagram
- Cooking Oil – 4 tablespoons
- Onions – [5 small or 2 large]
- Salt – as per taste
- Ginger Garlic – ½ tablespoon (fresh/paste)
- Fresh Green Chillies – 4 (small size)
- Green Bell Pepper / Capsicum – 2 (small size)
- Tomatoes – 4 (small size)
- Paneer Cubes – 2 cups (15 to 20 pieces
- Turmeric Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder (Kashmiri) – 1½ teaspoons
- Ground Cumin / Jeera Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Garam Masala Powder – 2 teaspoons
- Ground Coriander / Dhaniya Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Chopped Fresh Coriander / Cilantro Leaves – a handful
- Green Bell Pepper / Capsicum
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Easy Kadai Paneer / Capsicum Paneer Masala Curry’:
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- If you are using frozen paneer, you need to either thaw (or) defrost and get it to room temperature before using for this recipe.
- Frying the paneer is optional step, you may add the paneer at the end without frying.
- Bear in mind, if you fry paneer for more than 2-3 mins, they turn hard to chew.
- Storage: This, Easy Kadai Paneer curry, stays good for 1 week when stored in fridge.
- At room temperature it stays for 1 day as we are using milk based paneer as main ingredient.
- The right amount of masala and spice made this dish, exotic in aroma and taste too.
- We all had this ‘Kadai Paneer Semi Gravy Curry’ as a side for Plain Naan (store bought).
- I tried the same recipe to make ‘Kadai Paneer Gravy’ and ‘Kadai Paneer Dry’ on 2 different days. While this below pic is semi-gravy style.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe Card & Print:
Kadai Paneer Recipe / Capsicum Paneer Masala Curry
- 1 Blender/Grinder/Mixie.
- 1 WOK / Kadai / Frying pan (for stove-top method)
- 4 tablespoons Cooking Oil
- 5 count Onions [5 small size or 2 large size]
- as per taste Salt
- ½ tablespoon Ginger Garlic (fresh/paste)
- 4 count Fresh Green Chillies (small size)
- 2 count Green Bell Pepper / Capsicum (small size)
- 4 count Tomatoes (small size)
- 2 cups Paneer Cubes (15 to 20 pieces)
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1½ teaspoon Red Chilli Powder (Kashmiri)
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin / Jeera Powder
- 2 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Coriander / Dhaniya Powder
- a handful Chopped Fresh Coriander / Cilantro Leaves
- Gather all the ingredients at one place.Bring the paneer to room temperature. Defrost it, if its the freezer.
- Finely chop the ginger garlic, coriander leaves. Slit the green chillies length wise. Very finely chop 2 onions. Dice the bell peppers and rest of the onions. Puree the tomatoes.
Cooking Kadai Paneer on Stove:
- Put a kadai/deep frying pan on stove top under medium flame. Add 1 tablespoon of oil, gently place all the paneer cubes. Fry them on both sides ONLY for a total of 3 mins. Remove them on to a separate plate.
- Put the kadai back on the stove under high flame. Add 3 tablespoons of oil, only the finely chopped onions, little salt. Keep stirring in between, fry them until they turn brown.
- Then add all these to the pan>> bay leaves, ginger garlic, salt, bell pepper cubes, onion cubes, slit green chillies. Stir Fry everything for 5 mins, until the onions and capsicum are softened (half cooked).
- Immediately, add all these to the pan>> tomato puree, fried paneer cubes, turmeric powder, kashmiri red chilli powder, garam masala powder, jeera powder/ground cumin, dhaniya powder/ground coriander, little salt.
- Mix everything and let it cook with lid for 5 mins.Later, remove the lid. Cook the curry without lid for 2-3 mins. Or until you get the desired consistency (gravy or semi gravy. Add the chopped coriander leaves and mix.
- Switch the stove off and transfer the curry into a serving dish. Done!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category