Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10 mins CookTime:20 mins Cuisine:Indian
Methi / Fenugreek is used as a traditional remedy for diabetes and loss of appetite, dandruff problems, to stimulate milk production in breastfeeding women and reduces inflammation inside the body. Moreover it adds flavor and spice to food.
Methi is a very commonly used leafy vegetable / herb mostly by Indians. We use it in curries, dals/lentils, make many rice varieties, many starters too. This, Methi pulao / fenugreek rice recipe is a very famous pulao dish. Its completely Vegan+Glutenfree.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Other Rice recipes collection here⇒ Rice Recipes Collection
Curry Recipe Collection here⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
- Indian Basmati Rice Grains – 2 cups
- Methi / Menthaku / Fenugreek Leaves – 1 cup (pressed)
- Onions – 2 (large size)
- Garlic – 4 pods
- Potato – 1 (large size)
- Green Chillies – 5
- Ginger – 1 small piece
- Cloves – 8
- Salt – 3 teaspoons
- Cooking Oil/Butter – 3 table spoons
- Bay Leaves / Biryani Leaves – 3
- Cinnamon Sticks / Dalchini – 3 (small)
- Cardamom – 3 (powdered)
- Garam Masala – 1 teaspoon
- Black Pepper Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Jeera / Whole Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander – 3 to 4 twigs (optional)
- Water – 3 cups
- Indian Basmati Rice Grains
- Methi / Menthaku / Fenugreek Leaves
- Firstly, take the rice (grains) into the rice cooker or pressure cooker, wash twice.
- Fill it with water (as mentioned in the ‘Ingredients’) and put aside.
- Get all the vegetables onto the counter for chopping/cutting.
- Chop the onions, garlic and ginger. Cut green chillies length wise.
- Peel the potato skin and cut into cubes.
- Pluck the leaves of methi/fenugreek and trash the stem.
- Take a frying pan put it on stove top under medium flame.
- Pour the oil and let it heat, then add the bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon sticks. Sautee them.
- Next add the chopped ginger, garlic, onion pieces & slit green chillies.
- Let the onions become transparent, and then add the methi leaves.
- Fry the leaves upto 3-4 mins , that’s till they change the colour.
- At this stage, add the potato cubes, garam masala, powdered elaichi, black pepper powder and salt.
- Mix them thoroughly and let them blend with the rest of the items.
- After 2-3 mins switch the flame off.
- Transfer all the contents of the pan onto the rice which we kept earlier in the rice cooker/pressure cooker/vessel.
- Mix everything gently, so that the basmati rice do not break/crack.
- Set the rice cooker or pressure cooker or slow cooker or instant pot or cooking vessel for the rice to cook.
- If you are using pressure cooker let it give 3 whistles.
- Once the rice is cooked, fluff up using a fork, garnish with chopped coriander. Done!!
- Soaking of rice is very important, as this makes the pulao rice to cook perfectly without sticking. So, try to soak the rice before you cut and fry the veggies and spices.
- Basmati Rice is the best for any Pulao. Long grain rice also works well.
- Do not sautee the methi leaves too much. It might turn bitter.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- Be careful while adding water to the rice grains. The measurement needs to be perfect for the pulao to have perfect texture.
- This, Methi pulao / fenugreek rice is very mild in flavour that can be served with any gravy curry / sabzi / raita. We had it with Tomato-Green Peas Masala.
- It’s a perfect main course recipe that fills the tummy with right nutrients.Methi Pulao / Funugreek Rice in a serving dish
You can Pinit here, Pinterest Link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can find my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category