Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10 mins CookTime:10 mins Cuisine:Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
Today, I’m here with an easy and quick side dish. It’s made with winter seasonal produce fresh Methi / Fenugreek leaves. This recipe is a Vegan, Indian style side that’s suitable with roti, naan, chapati and even with any rice. It’s absolutely kids friendly & is so economical to cope with huge gatherings as well.
It just takes 10 mins of cooking if you have all prep work done. The only work that involves a bit of time (10 mins) & patience for this recipe is, to separate the leaves from the twigs.
I generally do this, immediately getting them from the farmers market, store the leaves in an air-tight container in the fridge. This avoids my lazy feel to make such recipes with methi / fenugreek.
Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Aloo Methi Sukhi Sabzi / Potato Fenugreek Stir Fry’:
To Use the Microwave to Boil the Potatoes: Wash, peel the skin of potatoes and dice them into cubes. Take them into a suitable vessel, fill with water until they sink. Put it in microwave and boil until they soften. Takes 10-12 mins.
Instead of whole large potatoes, you could use baby potatoes too.
If you prefer to add Onion & Garlic, add finley chopped fresh garlic and cubed pieces of Onion after the oil is heat. Saute them until the onions turn trasparent then proceed with the rest of the recipe.
For additonal flavour, you might add a teaspoon of ground coriander powder / dhaniya powder along with other powders.
I prefer to add only 3 tablespoons of Oil at first and then add the rest of oil at the end, just before switching the flame off.
I prefer to boil the potatoes first and then proceed with the curry as I mentioned below. As its a Sukhi Sabzi / Semi-dry curry, this process is the best. Hence, I wouldn’t prefer any other way.
Health Benefits of ‘Aloo Methi Sabzi / Potato & Fenugreek Stir Fry’:
Methi / Fenugreek greens are rich in iron, calcium and these leaves are mainly used in ayurveda as a booster to improve the milk production in breast feeding mothers.
Potato, is high in fibre, naturally gluten free, starchy food, high in carbs and so they are very much filling. Eating more potato, than a single medium size potato, is not good for people with diabetis, high blood pressure or heart disease.
To conclude, this side dish is suitable for Plant Based, Vegetarian, Vegan, Gluten Free, Kids Friendly, Carbs specific diets.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Curry recipes collection here⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
Dal recipes collection⇒ Dal / Pappu / Lentil Stew
Daily Meal Platters collection⇒ Bhojanam / Thali / Meal Platter
Recipes with Green Veggies⇒ Recipes with GREENS
Related Posts with ‘GREENS’:
- Menthaku / Methi Leaves Chutney Powder
- Methi Pulao / Rice with Fenugreek Leaves (Stove Top, Instant Pot)
- Gongura Pachadi / Sorrel Leaves Chutney (Andhra style)
- Spinach & Black-eyed Beans Saute
- Potatoes / Aloo – 4 (medium size)
- Methi / Fenugreek Leaves / Menthaku – 1 cup (pressed)
- Water – to boil potatoes
- Cooking Oil – 4 tablespoons
- Fresh Green Chillies / Mirchi – 5 (slit length wise)
- Whole Cumin / Jeera – 1 tablespoon
- Curry Leaves / Karivepaku – 10 (optional)
- Red Chilli Powder / Kaaram – 1½ teaspoons
- Ground Cumin Powder / Jeera Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder / Pasupu – ½ teaspoon
- Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon (optional)
- Salt – 2 teaspoons / as per taste
- Cumin Powder / Jeera Powder
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Aloo Methi Sabzi / Potato & Fenugreek Fry’:
STOVE POT METHOD:
INSTANT POT METHOD:
- Empty the Instant Pot completely, switch On Gadget, select SAUTE mode, for 5 mins.
- Add the OIL, let it heat. Then continue the same recipe as per the Stove Top method recipe given above.
- Switch the Gadget OFF, transfer the curry into serving bowl. Done!
- While you boil the potatoes,use the time to separate methi leaves from twigs, wash the leaves thoroughly.
- Once you boil the potatoes & have the leaves ready, the fry takes just 5 mins.
- Be very careful while frying the methi leaves, if they are not much fried / too much fried there are bright chances of curry getting bitter.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- Storage: This, Aloo Methi Sabzi / Potato & Fenugreek Fry, stays good only upto 1 day at room temperature.
- But can be stored in refrigerator for 2 days and can be reheated before serving.
- The pleasant earthy aroma of methi / fenugreek leaves of the curry, is tasted in every bite, just because they are coated on each and every potato piece!🙂
- It tastes really good as a side with steamed rice, any pulao, roti, chapati, phulka and even for sandwich filling.
- We had this, Aloo Methi Sabzi / Potato & Fenugreek Fry, as a side with ghee roti and steamed white rice.
- Even kids enjoy this side whenever I make this, they even ask for a 2nd serving.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Aloo Methi Sukhi Sabzi / Potato & Fenugreek Stir Fry
- Frying pan (for stove-top method)
- Sauce Pan / Vessel (for stove-top method)
- Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker (for IP method)
- 4 count Potatoes / Aloo (medium size)
- 1 cup Methi / Fenugreek Leaves / Menthaku (pressed)
- as required Water (to boil potatoes)
- 4 tablespoons Cooking Oil
- 4 count Fresh Green Chillies / Mirchi (slit length wise)
- 1 tablespoon Whole Cumin / Jeera
- 10 count Curry Leaves / Karivepaku (optional)
- 1½ teaspoon Red Chilli Powder / Kaaram
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin Powder / Jeera Powder
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder / Pasupu
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice (optional)
- 2 teaspoons Salt (or as per taste)
STOVE TOP METHOD:
- TO BOIL POTATOES: (skip this if you have pre-boiled)Into a sauce pan, add 4 cups of water, drop the potatoes, place the lid on. Put the vessel on stove top under high flame for 15-20 mins. Switch the flame OFF, strain the hot water, run cold water over them and peel the skin off. Optionally, Dice each into large size cubes.
- Put a frying pan on stove top under medium flame. Add the cooking oil and heat it.Add the slit green chillies, curry leaves and whole cumin / jeera. Saute them for 1 min.
- Transfer all the methi / fenugreek leaves (thoroughly washed), into the pan. Fry them by stirring continuously just for 3 mins, until the leaves wilt.
- Then, add Red Chilli Powder, Cumin / Jeera Powder, Salt and Turmeric powder into the pan.
- Immediately, add all the boiled potato cubes into the pan. Mix everything thoroughly such that the spices are well coated throughout each and every piece.
- Keep it on flame for about 2 more mins. Then Switch OFF.Sprinkle the lemon juice and then transfer into a serving dish. Done!!
INSTANT POT METHOD:
- Pour 2 cups of water into the inner pot. Place all the washed potatoes into a steel vessel and put the vessel on the steel stand that fits in the Instant pot vessel.Close the IP lid & valve. Set to PRESSURE COOK mode, for 5 mins under HIGH PRESSURE.
- Empty the Instant Pot completely, switch On Gadget, select SAUTE mode, for 5 mins.Add the OIL, let it heat. Then continue the same recipe as per the Stove Top method recipe given above.Switch the Gadget OFF, transfer the curry into serving bowl. Done!
You can Pinit here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category