Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:15 mins CookTime:15 mins Cuisine:Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
Bhindi / Okra / Bendakaya, is the most loved vegetable by any age group. I think its just because of the ease it gives in preparing. Its called as Bhindi in Hindi and as Bendakaya in Telugu language.
There are loads of recipes made using this slimy vegetable. Till date, I did post only 1 recipe>> Bendakaya Thalimpu / Bhindi Tadka/ Okra Stir Fry
This below recipe of, Stiffed Okra / Bharwa Bhindi Curry (Air Fryer, Stove Top) , comes under the same category as, Stuffed Bitter Gourd / Karela / Kakarakaya Ulli Karam Koora, except that I made few changes. Stuffed Bhindi I preferred it to be onion-garlic free. And added bit of tamarind puree and lemon juice too.
Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Stuffed Okra / Bharwa Bhindi Curry (Air Fryer, Stove Top)’:
I have made this Stuffed Okra / Bhindi, completely free from Onion & Garlic. If you prefer to use, just add ½ teaspoon garlic powder, onion powder to the masala stuffing.
Or else, add few whole garlic pods, onion slices into the pan / air fryer along with stuffed okra while cooking.
For making BHARWA BHINDI GRAVY CURRY: I have given detailed recipe about how to use these stuffed okra / bhindi to be used in a Gravy Curry. Please check above.
To make Gravy Curry using this, ‘Stuffed Okra / Bharwa Bhindi Curry (Air Fryer, Stove Top)’:
Put a frying pan on stove top under medium flame, add oil.
Add the mustard seeds and whole cumin/ jeera. Let them splutter.
Now, add the curry leaves, sliced onion pieces. Saute until they turn transparent.
Add the remaining masala stuffing, water, salt, red chilli powder. Mix well.
Immediately add all the COOKED Stuffed Okra / Bharwa Bhindi, to the pan.
Close with lid, let it cook for 3-4 mins under low flame. Open the lid, let it come together.
Switch the flame OFF. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Done!
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Curry recipes collection⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
Air Fryer recipes collection⇒ Air Fryer Recipes
Related Posts with ‘STUFFED’:
- Stuffed Bitter Gourd / Karela / Kakarakaya Ulli Karam Koora
- Gutti Vankaya Koora / Stuffed Brinjal Curry (Semi Dry)
- Stuffed Brinjal Dry Curry / GuttiVankaya Podi Koora
- Stuffed Banana Peppers / Gutti Mirapakaya
- Bhindi / Okra / Bendakaya – ¼ kg / 8 large size
- Besan / Gram Glour / Senaga Pindi – 3 tablespoons
- Thick Tamarind Puree / Chinthapandu Gujju – 2 tablespoons
- Turmeric Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Jeera Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Garam Masala Powder / Sambar Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Red Chilli Powder /Kaaram – 1½ teaspoon
- Lemon Juice – 1 tablespoon
- Water – as needed
- Salt – as per taste
- Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – 2 tablespoons (chopped)
Additonal Ingredients for ‘GRAVY CURRY’:
- Cooking Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Onions – 2 (medium sized)
- Mustard Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Whole Cumin / Jeera – ½ teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Salt – ¼ teaspoon
- Water – ¼ cup
- Fresh Curry Leaves – 2 twigs
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Stuffed Okra / Bharwa Bhindi Curry (Air Fryer, Stove Top)’:
STOVE TOP METHOD COOKING:
AIR FRYER METHOD COOKING:
- Always prefer to use ONLY TENDER okra / bhindi.
- If the Okra / Bhindi, is not tender, they will not taste good, they will not cook well, and hence the outcome itself is a waste. So, better avoid using such hard/not tener ones.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- For the Stove Top Method: Before switching off the stove, you might add a tablespoon of oil all over the okra / bhindi. This adds more to the taste of the dish.
- For the Air Fryer Method: Though I took a total of 15 mins, from start to finish, you might remove them early too. Depend upon how crispy you wish to have them out.
- Storage: This curry stays good up to 1-2 days at room temperature.
- It can be stored in refrigerator in an air-tight container, and used up to a week. Just re-heat before serving.
- For making BHARWA BHINDI GRAVY CURRY: I have given detailed recipe about how to use these stuffed okra / bhindi to be used in a Gravy Curry. Please check above.
- The taste of this, Stuffed Okra / Bharwa Bhindi Curry (Air Fryer, Stove Top), is good. It is not so crispy, but it is more to the softer side.
- We had it as a side with plain steamed white rice, and Mukkala Pulusu/ Dhappalam / Indian Vegetable Soup.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Stuffed Okra / Bharwa Bhindi Curry (Air Fryer, Stove Top)
- ¼ kg Bhindi / Okra / Bendakaya (8 large size)
- 3 tablespoons Besan / Gram Glour / Senaga Pindi
- 2 tablespoons Thick Tamarind Puree / Chinthapandu Gujju
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Jeera Powder
- 1 tablespoon Garam Masala Powder / Sambar Powder
- 1½ teaspoon Red Chilli Powder /Kaaram
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- as needed Water
- as per taste Salt
- 3 tablespoons Cooking Oil
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Coriander Leaves (chopped)
Additional Ingredients for making ''GRAVY CURRY":
- 2 tablespoons Cooking Oil
- 2 count Onions (medium sized)
- ½ teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- ½ teaspoon Whole Cumin / Jeera
- ¼ teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ cup Water
- 2 twigs Fresh Curry Leaves
- In a mixing bowl, add the besan / gram flour, salt, red chilli powder, jeera powder, garam masala powder, lemon juice, tamarind puree, 2 tablespoons of water.Mix everyting into a thick paste.
- Take each of the okra/bhindi, cut off both the edges, make a slit length wise only one side, from top to bottom.
- Into each of the okra/bhindi, using your hands, stuff the masala mixture as shown.
STOVE TOP COOKING:
- Put a frying pan on stove top under medium flame. Add 2 tablespoons of oil. Gently, place all the stuffed bhindi / okra into the pan. Sprinkle a tablespoons of water. Close the pan with lid.
- Let them steam cook for 5 mins, then open the lid, turn each of them to the other side. Close again with lid. After 5 more mins, switch off the flame. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Done!
AIR FRYER METHOD COOKING:
- Spray / brush the air fryer mesh with cooking oil. Gently place the stuffed okra / bhindi onto the mesh.
- Again spray/brush each one with cooking oil. Close the air fryer, set the time to 10 mins, temperature to 200C / 390F.
HOW TO MAKE 'STUFFED OKRA / BHARWA BHINDI GRAVY CURRY ':
- Put a frying pan on stove top under medium flame, add oil.Add the mustard seeds and whole cumin/ jeera. Let them splutter.Now, add the curry leaves, sliced onion pieces. Saute until they turn transparent.
- Add the remaining masala stuffing, water, salt, red chilli powder. Mix well.Immediately add all the COOKED Stuffed Okra / Bharwa Bhindi, to the pan.
- Close with lid, let it cook for 3-4 mins under low flame. Open the lid, let it come together. Switch the flame OFF. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Done!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category