Recipe Cooked, Photograhed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:5mins CookTime:12mins Cuisine: Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
Stuffed Brinjal / Gutti Vankaya / Bharwa Baingan is the most famous / most liked Indian recipe using small brinjal/eggplants. There are many different Indian recipes for stuffed brinjal / eggplant.
Its like this, the north Indian style of making this curry is totally different from that of the South Indian style. While, this is one of the South Indian style recipes for Stuffed Baby Eggplant, that I learnt from Amma (my Mom).
It’s the quickest recipe which can be made within 10-15 mins with very few ingredients. And it is the favourite dish for my two daughters. Why don’t you try this recipe, by my Mother! 🙂
Table of Contents:
- Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Andhra Gutti Vankaya Podi Koora / Stuffed Brinjal Dry Curry’:
- How to serve, ‘Gutti Vankaya Podi Koora / South Indian style Bharwa Baingan’:
- Other recipes from my blog:
- Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Stuffed Eggplant Dry Curry / Gutti Vankaya Podi Koora’:
- Prep Work:
- Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
- Recipe Card & Print:
Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Andhra Gutti Vankaya Podi Koora / Stuffed Brinjal Dry Curry’:
Other variety of eggplants to use: Short & Plump eggplants which are of either white, purple colour suits bests. Long & Thin eggplants, just like I used here, can be used too. Indian, Thai, Chinese variety of brinjal are rightly good.
Using Onion and Garlic: Finely chopped onions and garlic might be added to the pan, fry them first in little oil and then add the stuffed eggplant / brinjal.
Other additions to the stuffing: You might add 1 teaspoon of Carom Seeds (Vaamu) to the stuffing mix.
To roast the besan: On lowest flame, dry roast the chickpea flour / besan just before using it for the stuffing. This is the best way to use the besan / chickpea flour, by doing this eliminates the raw smell of the flour which gives a pleasant aroma.
How to serve, ‘Gutti Vankaya Podi Koora / South Indian style Bharwa Baingan’:
This dish is best suitable with steamed plain rice (either white or brown). As shown in the platter below, I served it as side dish with steamed white rice and tomato dal.
Next best option, is to serve as a side with plain chapathi / Indian flat bread, as you can see in my pics below.
Other recipes from my blog:
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Curry recipes collection⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
Daily Thali recipes collection⇒ Bhojanam / Thali / Meal Platter
Related Posts with ‘EGGPLANT / BRINJAL’:
- Gutti Vankaya Koora / Stuffed Brinjal Curry (Semi Dry)
- Stuffed Bitter Gourd / Karela / Kakarakaya Ulli Karam Koora (Air Fryer, Stove Top)
- Stuffed Banana Peppers / Gutti Mirapakaya
- Eggplant Tomato Curry / Vankaya Tomato Koora
- Brinjal Green Peas Curry / Vankaya Bataani Koora (Stove Top, Instant Pot)
- Grilled Eggplant (Aubergine) Cheesy Sandwich
- Vankaya Pachi Pulusu / Roasted Eggplant Cold Soup
- Roasted Eggplant Stew / Vankaya Pulusu Pachadi
- Vankaya Podi Koora / Eggplant Dry Curry (Air fryer, Stove top)
Follow me on⇒ Facebook / Pinterest / YouTube / Instagram
- Brinjal / Baby Eggplants – 8 (small size)
- Chickpea flour / Besan / Senagapindi – 1 heaped cup
- Salt – 3 teaspoons
- Jeera / Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder – 2½ teaspoons (heaped)
- Cooking oil – [5 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon]
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – 1 small bunch (or) 7-8 twigs
- Chickpea flour / Besan / Senagapindi
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Stuffed Eggplant Dry Curry / Gutti Vankaya Podi Koora’:
- Bear in mind while slicing the brinjals / vankaya that only one side is slit.
- If the eggplants / brinjal are very long, just cut each into half and then proceed with the recipe as it is.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- Storage: This, Stuffed Brinjal Dry Curry / Gutti Vankaya Podi Koora, is good at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- Can be stored in fridge (not freezer) for a week, but you need to reheat before serving.
- The taste of this curry is just awesome, and I bet you cant stop eating just one brinjal.
- Its mostly suitable with rice rather than bread. We had it part of the below platter.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe Card & Print:
Stuffed Brinjal Dry Curry / Andhra style Gutti Vankaya Podi Koora / Bharwa Baingan Sukhi Sabzi
- Frying pan (for stove-top method)
- 8 count Brinjal / Baby Eggplants / Baby Aubergine (small size)
- 1 cup Chickpea flour / Besan / Senagapindi (heaped cup)
- 3 teaspoons Salt (or as per taste)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds / Jeera
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 2½ heaped teaspoons Red Chilli Powder / Paprika
- 5 tablespoons Cooking oil (+1 teaspoon extra)
- 7-8 twigs Fresh Coriander Leaves
- Take the chickpeaflour / besan into a small mixing bowl. Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt and cumin seeds into the same bowl.Mix up everything thoroughly and set aside.
- Now take the brinjal / eggplants, wash them and wipe clean them.Cut the edges on one side, and slit them into 4 parts only on the same side.
- Using a small spoon fill in each brinjal/eggplant/vankaya with the flour mix which we kept aside. If the flour mix is leftover then keep it for later use.
- Now take a frying pan that is suitable to fit all the stuffed eggplants.Pour the 5 tablespoons of oil in the pan, and heat it on stove top under medium flame.
- Gently drop in the stuffed eggplants (which we kept aside) into the pan.Sprinkle 2-3 tablespoons of water onto the brinjal and close the pan with lid. Let the brinjal cook and soften.
- After 3-4 mins open the lid and turn each one onto the other side, close the pan again.
- 3 more mins later, check if the they are softened perfectly. If so, add the leftover flour mix onto the cooked eggplants and gently turn them to other side.
- Switch the flame off, add the rest of the oil throughout the pan, give a slight mix.Garnish the curry with chopped coriander leaves. Transfer into a serving bowl. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later use, Pinterest Link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category