Recipes Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:5mins CookTime:12mins Cuisine:Indian
Stuffed Brinjal/Gutti Vankaya/Bharwa Baingan is the most famous/liked Indian recipe using small brinjal/eggplants. There are many different recipes for stuffed brinjal, while this is one of them that I learnt from my Mom. Its the quickest recipe which can be made within 10-15 mins with very few ingredients.
Brinjals/Eggplants are rich in fiber, potassium, vitamin B-6 , hence it lowers the risk of heart disease. Its a low-carb, nutrient-dense, calorie-poor food , so its a great food to help you lose weight. One cup of eggplant/brinjal contains only 8gm of carbohydrates (info from internet).
This, stuffed brinjal dry curry recipe is the favourite for my two daughters. Why dont you try this ,Vegan and Glutenfree recipe of my Mom! 🙂
Details of above platter details with recipes⇒ Bhojanam/Thali/Platter # 1
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
My Curry recipes collection here⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
Daily Thali recipes collection⇒ Bhojanam / Thali / Meal Platter
- Stuffed BitterGourd / Karela / Kakarakaya Ullikaaram Koora
- Stuffed Banana Peppers / Gutti Mirapakaya
- Brinjal-Tomato Curry / Vankaya-Tomato Koora
- Brinjal – Green Peas Curry / Vankaya -Bataani Koora
Stuffed Brinjal Dry Curry / Gutti Vankaya Podi Koora in a serving bowl
- Brinjal/Eggplant – 8 (small size)
- Chickpea flour / Besan / Senagapindi – 1 heaped cup
- Salt – 3 teaspoons
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder – 2 teaspoons (heaped)
- Cooking oil – [4 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon]
- Coriander – 1 small bunch or 7-8 twigs
- Chickpea flour / Besan / Senagapindi
Step wise pics Procedure:
- Firstly, take the chickpeaflour/besan/senagapindi into a small mixing bowl.
- Add red chilli powder,turmeric powder, salt and cumin seeds into the same bowl.
- Mix up everything thoroughly and set aside.
- Now take the brinjals/eggplants, wash them and wipe clean them.
- Cut the edges on one side, and slit them into 4 parts only on the same side.Brinjal/Eggplants being slit into 4 parts on one side
- Using a small spoon fill in each brinjal/eggplant/vankaya with the flour mix which we kept aside. If the flour mix is leftover then keep it for later use.
- Now take a frying pan that is suitable to fit all the stuffed brinjals / eggplants.
- Pour the 4 tablespoons of oil in the pan, and heat it on stovetop under medium flame.
- Gently drop in the stuffed brinjals / eggplants (which we kept aside) into the pan.Frying pan with Brinjal/Eggplants/Vankayalu stuffed with the flour mix
- Sprinkle 2-3 tablespoons of water onto the brinjals / vankayalu and close the pan with lid.
- Let the brinjals / vankayalu cook and soften.
- After 3-4 mins open the lid and turn each brinjals/ eggplants / vankayalu onto the other side and close the pan again with lid.
- After 3-4 mins open the lid and check if the brinjal / eggplants / vankayalu are cooked/softened perfectly.
- Then add the leftover flour mix onto the cooked brinjal /eggplants /vankayalu and gently turn them. Last stage of curry after adding remaining chickpea masala mix & chopped coriander
- Switch the flame off and garnish the curry with chopped coriander.
- Then transfer it to a serving bowl. Done!!
- Bear in mind while slicing the brinjals/vankaya that only one side is slit.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- The taste of this curry is just awesome, and I bet you cant stop eating just one brinjal.
- Its mostly suitable with rice rather than bread. We had it part of the below platter.Stuffed Brinjal Dry Curry / Gutti Vankaya Podi Koora in a serving bowl
Bhojanam/ Thali/ Platter where Stuffed Brinjal/ GuttiVankaya Podi Koora as a side
You can Pinit here, Pinterest Link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category