Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
Prep Time:10 mins Cooking Time:15 mins Cuisine: Indian
In Telugu Cuisine (one of the South Indian Cuisine), Brinjal/Vankaya is considered as the ‘King of Vegetables’. The main reason behind being , its diverse ablility to blend with any other vegetable. And the second one is that the ease it gives while cooking.
My Curry Recipes Collection⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
- Gutti Vankaya Koora / Stuffed Brinjal Curry (Semi Dry)
- Stuffed Brinjal Dry Curry / GuttiVankaya Podi Koora
- Brinjal/Eggplant/Vankaya – 10
- Green Peas – 1 cup
- Salt – 3 teaspoons
- Green Chillies – 12
- Coriander – 1 bunch / 7 to 8 twigs
- Ginger – 1 small piece
- Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoon
- Turmeric – ½ teaspoon
- Water – ½ cup
Ingredients for Tempering :
- Mustard Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Jeera / Cumin seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Dry Red Chillies – 3
- Green Chillies
- Firstly, wash the brinjal with water , cut them into small finger length pieces.
- Immediately, put the brinjal pieces into a bowl of cold water.
- Now, put a medium sized frying pan on the stove top under medium flame.
- Add the oil and let it heat.
- Then add all the ‘Ingredients for tempering’ into the oil. Sautee them.
- Take the bowl of brinjal pieces, put only the pieces into the pan, by gently squeezing the pieces between your fingers. See pics below.
- Add the salt and turmeric powder too.
- Mix up everything , add ½ cup of water and close the pan with lid.
- Let the brinjal pieces cook and soften,this might take 7-8 mins.
- Add the green peas into the pan and close the lid. See pics below.
- In the meanwhile, take the green chillies,chopped ginger and coriander leaves in a grinder and pulse them to a paste.
- Open the lid of the pan, check if the brinjal pieces are cooked or not.
- Add the grind paste of Gi+Gr+Co to the pan. See pics below.
- Mix up everythign gently, such that the ground spice paste is spread out throughout the pan.
- Do not close the pan with lid, let the water in the pan evaporate completely.
- At that stage switch the flame off. Done!!
- You can follow the same recipe for any variety of brinjal/eggplant.
- Take care that the brinjal pieces while you cut should immediatley be put in cold water, for the pieces not to turn dark in colour with exposure to air.
- Adjust the salt and spice according to your taste.
- The taste of this curry is spicy as it has the ginger + green chillies combo.
- We had it along with rice and a less spicy dal/lentils, to balance the taste.
- This is a semi gravy curry, hence it suits as a side for chapati,roti,paratha as well.
Spicy and Delicious Curry ready to be served
Pinterest Link for later use :
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category