Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:5 mins CookTime:10 mins Cuisine: Indian
Brinjal / Vankaya Tomato Curry recipe, is a wet curry type which does not contain any major masala and very easy to make by any beginner too. It can be used as a side for any meal or can be used as a sandwich filling too. And of course, its Vegan and Gluten free.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned in the end.
My Curry recipes Collection here⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
Rice recipes collection here⇒ Main Course
Collection of recipes with Greens⇒ Recipes with GREENS
Adding this curry recipe to my Weight Loss Food / Low Carb Recipes
- Brinjal – Green Peas Curry / Vankaya -Bataani Koora
- Stuffed Brinjal Dry Curry / GuttiVankaya Podi Koora
- Tamatar Ka Salan/ Stuffed Tomato Gravy Curry / Gutti Tomato
- Tomato Dal / Lentil Stew / Tomato Pappu
- Brinjal / Eggplant – 1 (large size)
- Tomatoes – 4
- Onions – 1 (large size)
- Salt – 2 teaspoons
- Red Chilli Powder – 1½ teaspoon
- Dhaniya / Coriander Powder – 1½ teaspoon
- Garam Masala Powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoon
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – a handful
- Ginger-Garlic paste/crushed – 1 teaspoon (optional)
Ingredients for Tempering :
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- Mustard Seeds / Aavalu – ½ teaspoon
- Dry Red Chillies – 3 (optional)
- Urad dal / Minapappu / Split Black gram – ½ teaspoon (optional)
- Red Chilli Powder
- Garam Masala Powder
- Dhaniya / Coriander Powder
- Firstly, Gather the veggies to be used. Take the brinjal / eggplant and tomatoes, wash them thoroughly.
- Peel the skin off the onions cut them into small cubes. Put aside.
- Now, put a medium sized frying pan on the stove top under medium flame.
- Add the oil and let it heat.
- Then, add all the ‘Ingredients for tempering’ into the oil. Sautee them.
- Now, transfer the onion pieces and the ginger-garlic paste/crush (optional) to the same pan.
- Pan fry the onions until they turn transparent.
- In the meanwhile, cut the tomatoes and brinjal/eggplant into cube size pieces.
- When the onions are fried enough add the tomatoes and eggplant/brinjal pieces too.
- Add the salt, give a gentle mix and close the lid of the pan. Let the veggies soften.
- After, around 5-7 mins, open the lid and check if the eggplant/brinjal pieces have softened.
- Then, add the red chilli powder, dhaniya / coriander powder and garam masala powder to the pan.
- Give a thorough mix and let it be on stove for 2 more mins.
- If required add 3-4 tablespoons of water and continue with the lid on.
- Take the lid off, add the chopped coriander leaves and give a mix.
- Let it be on flame until your desired consistency of curry reaches.
- At this stage switch the flame off and transfer the curry into serving bowl. Done!!
- Take care that the eggplant/brinjal pieces are transferred immediatley into the frying pan once they are sliced. If not they might turn into dark colour.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- This, Brinjal / Vankaya Tomato Curry, can be stored in fridge for up to a week. But, reheat before serving.
- The taste of this, Brinjal / Vankaya Tomato Curry, is spicy while the texture is soft and wet. Its filled with the flavour of garam masala & tanginess from tomatoes.
- It can be used as a side for any rice, chapati, roti or can be used as a sandwich filling too.
You can Pinit here, Pinterest Link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category