Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10 mins CookTime:10 mins Cuisine:Indian
Are you throwing away those green thick skin of the watermelon? Well, you would never, after seeing & trying this NOT AT ALL hard to make recipe. And after the little effort you put in making them, I can promise you these, Watermelon Rind Energy Balls (No added sugar), would taste just too good!
Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Watermelon Rind Energy Balls’:
You might add any other dry nuts (might be walnuts, pecans, almonds) in place of pistachios.
If you do not have dry rose petals, just skip using them.
The tablespoon of ghee I have used for frying the rind pieces, you can replace it with any plant based butter.
Or else skip it completely, to make it a completely Whole Foods recipe.
Health Benefits of ‘Watermelon Rind Energy Balls’:
Watermelon itself has amazing health benefits.While the rind also gives us few benefits.Watermelon rinds are rich in fiber. Where, foods with high fiber help to regulate the bowel movement. One more important fact is, watermelon rind helps to lower skin inflammation and in return rejuvenates the skin. (info from internet)
Dates, have natural sugars and are rich in Iron too.
And pistachios are high source of protein.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
My other Dessert recipes here⇒ Desserts / Mithayi
Kids after school snacks⇒ After School / Lunch Box Sweet Treats
Kids packed lunches⇒ Kids Lunch Box Ideas & Recipes
- Watermelon & Basil Refresher (No Alcohol)
- Dry Apricot Energy Balls (Vitamin C rich)
- Healthy Treat with Dry Fruits & Nuts
- Peanut Butter Energy Balls (Vegan, Instant)
- Watermelon Rind – 1 heaped cup (finely chopped)
- Fresh Dates (seedless / pitted) – 1 cup (pressed)
- Pistachios – ½ cup
- Desiccated Coconut / Dry Coconut flakes / powder – ¼ cup
- Organic Rose Petals – ¼ cup
- Ghee / Butter – 1 tablespoon (optional)
- Organic Rose Petals
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Watermelon Rind Energy Balls (No added sugar)’:
- You could change the quantities of dates & watermelon rind as per your choice.
- Eliminate the usage of Ghee/butter, instead you could even use only water just to soften the watermelon rind pieces.
- Storage: They stay good at room temperature for 3 to 4 days in an air-tight container.
- Put them in the fridge and they stay good up to 10 days.
- Even without the addition of any additional sugar other than the natural sugars from Dates, the Watermelon Rind Energy Balls (No added Sugar), turned out absolutely sweet enough for the palate.
- The desiccated coconut, gave the extra crunch to the soft & melt in mouth laddoos/energy balls.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Watermelon Rind Energy Balls (No added sugar)
- Sauce Pan / Vessel (for stove-top method)
- 1 cup Watermelon Rind (heaped cup) (finely chopped)
- 1 cup Dates (seedless / pitted) (pressed)
- ¼ cup Desiccated Coconut / Dry Coconut Flakes / Powder
- ½ cup Pistachios
- ¼ cup Organic Rose Petals
- 1 tablespoon Ghee / Butter (optional)
- Take the watermelon rind, peel off the green outer layer, finely chop the white part (we need 1 heaped cup). Pit the dates, measure 1 heaped cup (pressed).
- Put a sauce pan / vessel on stove top under medium flame. Add the ghee / butter let it melt. Transfer the chopped watermelon rind pieces. Stir them until the pieces are well coated with ghee/butter.
- Close the vessel with lid, and let the pieces soften. Later remove the lid, let it be on flame until water evaporates.(all of this takes 5 to 6 mins)
- Let the watermelon rind pieces cool down to room temperature.Later, transfer them, along with pitted dates, pistachios, to the food processor / mixie. Process to your desired consistency.
- Make balls with the processed content, roll each ball onto a plate full of desiccated coconut and organic dry rose petals. Done!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category