Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10 mins CookTime:20 mins Cuisine:Indian
Basically, I have a habit of including coconut in any recipe, it can be a curry, chutney, dessert etc. Being a South Indian, where coconut trees grow in abundance, we are habituated of including fresh / dry coconut in most of the recipes.
Few months back, I have already shared the recipe of Carrot-Coconut Halwa / Carrot-Kobbari Halwa. Halwa has to be served in a small cup/container. For, individual serving purpose laddoo would be a better option. Look at the detailed recipe below.
Possible alterations for the recipe, ‘Carrot Coconut Laddoo / Sweet Treats’:
I have tried the same recipe both with sugar and jaggery, the laddoos tasted great in both ways.
And date syrup is one more best option, if you wish to avoid sugar/jaggery.
Though, I have used freshly grated coconut, same quantity of desiccated coconut / dry coconut can also be used.
You might eliminate the Nuts, to make the recipe completely nut free.
Vegans, will have to use coconut oil instead of ghee. Don’t bother it works well.
Health Benefits of ‘Carrot Coconut Laddoo / Sweet Treats’:
Carrots are a great source of beta carotene, Vitamin K, folate, vitamin A & anti-oxidants.
Coconuts are excellent for one’s immunity. They are antiviral, anti-fungal, antibacterial, and anti-parasitic, meaning they kill harmful bacteria, viruses, fungi, and parasites. Can help treat influenza, lice, throat infections, urinary tract infections, tapeworms, bronchitis, and numerous other ailments.
To conclude, these laddoo are gluten free, filled with anti-oxidants, fiber, vitamin-A, good to improve immunity.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Dessert recipes collection⇒ Desserts / Mithayi
Appetiser recipes collection⇒ Starters / Snacks
Traditional Indian Recipes collection⇒ Traditional Indian Recipes for Festivals / Panduga Nayivedyalu
- Tomato-Carrot Soup (Instant Pot, Stove Top)
- Kobbari Annam / Coconut Rice (Instant Pot, Stove top)
- Instant Coconut White Chutney / Kobbari Pachchadi
- Fresh Coconut Fudge / Burfi
- Broccoli & Carrot Stir Fry
- Grated Carrot – 1 cup
- Grated Coconut – 1 cup (fresh / desiccated)
- Jaggery / Sugar – ¾ cup
- Raisins / Kishmish – 10
- Cashew nuts – 10
- Cardamom powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Ghee / Butter – 5 tablespoons
- Water – 6 tablespoons
- Ghee / Butter
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Carrot Coconut Laddoo / Sweet Treats’:
- While using ghee, just be generous. Ghee itself is the main ingredient that brings the aroma for this recipe.
- Be careful while you sautee the grated carrot and grated coconut, such that it doesn’t burn. If at all they burn, whole of the recipe will result in having the same.
- Storage: These laddoos stays good at room temperature for 4-5 days but and upto 12-15 days when refrigerated.
- The taste of these, Carrot Coconut Ladoo / sweet treats turned out very good.
- The texture is not that soft as I have grated the carrot & coconut coarsely.
- They were quite chewy & gooey. My family loved them.
Carrot – Coconut Laddoo / Sweet Treats
- Thick bottomed vessel
- Food processor / Blender / Mixie.
- 1 cup Grated Carrot
- 1 cup Fresh Grated Coconut
- ¾ cup Sugar / Jaggery
- 10 count Raisins / Kishmish
- 10 count Cashew nuts
- ¼ teaspoon Cardamom Powder
- 5 tablespoons Ghee / Butter
- 6 tablespoons Water
- Firstly, get the carrots and coconut grated, using a food processor / hand grater.
- Put a thick bottomed pan / vessel on stove under medium flame. Add a tablespoon of ghee / butter, add all the dry fruits & nuts.Fry them until they turn light brown in colour, take aside into a separate plate.
- In the same pan add one tablespoon of ghee, the grated carrot and fry them until they shrink & the raw smell is eliminated. Take aside. In the same pan add one more tablespoon of ghee & the grated coconut. Fry them until the raw smell of coconut is gone and they change the colour. Take them aside.
- Add the grated jaggery to the pan. Pour the water. Keep mixing, let it melt. When bubbles, foam is formed, immediately add all these>> roasted dry fruits, nuts, grated carrot, grated coconut, remaining ghee, cardamom powder.
- Continue mixing until the content leaves the sides of the vessel/pan. Switch the flame off and let the it come to lukewarm stage.
- Grease your palms with ghee/butter and shape the laddoos into round balls. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later use, Pinterest link :
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category