Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
Prep Time:15 mins Cooking Time:20 mins Cuisine:Indian
Coconut is the most commonly used fruit in almost every recipe in South India. This recipe is a blend of two different sweet vegetables to make into a dessert.
You can make this dessert Vegan by replacing ghee with coconut oil and sugar with jaggery/raw sugar (just like me).
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
- Bread Burfi / Bread Halwa
- Rava Kesari / Kesari Bath/ Semolina Pudding (without milk)
- Semiya Payasam / Kheer / Vermicelli-Milk Pudding , Desserts / Mithayi
- Grated Carrot – 1 cup
- Fresh Grated Coconut – 1 cup
- Sugar / Jaggery – ½ cup
- Raisins / Kishmish – 10
- Cashew nuts – 10
- Cardamom pods – 4
- Ghee – 6 tablespoons
Step wise pics Procedure:
- Firstly, get the carrots and coconut grated, as shown in pics below.
- Take a tray or wide serving dish and apply ghee throughout , put it aside.
- Powder the cardamom pods. Put aside.
- Put a thick bottomed pan / vessel on stove under a medium flame.
- Add one tablespoon of ghee / butter and add all the dry fruits & nuts.
- Fry them until they turn light brown in colour.
- Take them aside into a separate plate.
- In the same pan add one more tablespoon of ghee , the grated carrot and fry them until they reduce in quantity.
- Remove the fried carrot from the vessel/pan and put aside.
- In the same pan add one more tablespoon of ghee and the grated coconut.
- Fry them until the raw smell of coconut is gone and they change the colour.See pics below.
- In the same vessel/pan transfer all the fried carrot that we kept aside.
- Add the sugar and powdered cardamom.
- Thoroughly mix up everything and then add the remaining ghee.
- Keep mixing until the content leaves the sides of the vessel/pan.
- At that stage switch the flame off and transfer the entire content into the serving tray or dish which we kept aside.
- Spread the halwa throughout the tray and garnish it with dry fruits & nuts that we kept aside. Done!!
- Whatever might be the size of your cup, the ratio of the ingredients would be the same.
- You cannot eliminate adding the ghee to the recipe. Be generous.
- If you are a vegan you can use a non-dairy (plant based) butter or you can use coconut oil.
- Be careful while you sautee the grated carrot and coconut, such that it doesn’t burn.
- And date syrup or maple syrup or jaggery instead of processed sugar. I used unrefined raw sugar in this recipe.
- You can add either sugar or jaggery as sweetener, either of them taste good.
- You can add any dry fruits and nuts of your choice.I added Cashew Nuts and green raisins.
- This sweet dish can be served hot or chilled too.
- This dessert stays good at room temperature for 4-5 days but stays good upto 10-12 days when refrigerated.
- The taste of this dessert is of course sweet and nutty.
- The texture is very soft, but chewy and gooey.
You can Pin it here for later use, Pinterest link :
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category