Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10 mins CookTime:20 mins Cuisine:Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
The Indian culture & traditions, are very ancient. And whatever values, rituals that we Indians follow, benefit us in more than one way, like medicinally, wealth, health & at last to lead us to spirituality.
As per Indian calendar, each month has a pournami (full moon day).
During this night (post sun set) we take the darshan of the divine Moon, offer payasam to him, and whole family take the payasam as a divine prashad (blessing).
“The hearty, pleasure filled, chilled effect of the moon light not only provides good health & enlightens the soul!! 🙂 “… is believed as per ancient Indian dharma.
Table of Contents:
- What is ‘Payasam / Kheer’:
- Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Semiya Payasam / Vermicelli Kheer’:
- Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Semiya Payasam / Vermicelli Payasam / Vermicelli Milk Pudding’:
- Prep Work:
- Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
- Recipe Card & Print:
What is ‘Payasam / Kheer’:
Payasam is the Sanskrit (an Ancient Indian Language) word for a an age old traditional Indian sweet dish/dessert, that is made with any rice or lentil cooked with milk.
It is sweetened with sugar or jaggery, and then topped with dry fruits & nuts fried in ghee or butter.
It’s the quickest dessert prepared by any Indian, among all other desserts, might be as an offering to God or for parties or for guests or for kids snack.
This Payasam or Kheer (as called in Hindi) is a vermicelli based one which is the easiest of all other varieties of the same dessert. Called as semiya payasam / kheer / vermicelli pudding.
Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Semiya Payasam / Vermicelli Kheer’:
To Replace Sugar: Add date syrup or maple syrup or jaggery instead of processed sugar. I used unrefined raw sugar in this recipe.
Vegan Options: The same recipe can be made Vegan. if the whole milk that I have used is replaced with coconut milk / almond milk. In the place of ghee, you might use any plant based butter or even coconut cream / oil would also work.
Using Roasted Vermicelli: There are many different vermicelli available in the market. Non-roasted white vermcelli, Non-roasted brown vermicelli, roasted white vermicelli, roasted brown vermicelli.
In case you are using Pre-roasted vermicelli, just skip the roasting step (given below), follow the rest of the recipe as it is with same measurements. And just expect the time taken to be 3 mins less.
Other dry fruits, nuts to use: You can add any dry fruits and nuts of your choice. I added Cashew Nuts, Almonds and green raisins.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
My Dessert recipes collection⇒ Desserts / Mithayi
Appetiser recipes collection⇒ Starters / Snacks
Festive Platters collection⇒ Vindhu Bhojanam / Festive Lunch
- Kobbari Annam / Coconut Rice
- Saggubiyyam Payasam / Sabudana Kheer / Sago-Milk Pudding
- Pesarapappu Payasam / Yellow Moong Dal Kheer
- Munagaku Pulihora / Moringa / Drumstick Leaves Rice
- Vermicelli / Semiya – 1 cup
- Sugar / Jaggery – ¾ cup
- Whole Milk – 3 cups
- Raisins / Kishmish – 10
- Cashew nuts / Kaju – 10
- Almonds / Badam – 10
- Ghee – 3 tablespoons
- Cardamom pods / Elaichi – 4
- Saffron / Kesar – few strands
- Water – 1 cup
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Semiya Payasam / Vermicelli Payasam / Vermicelli Milk Pudding’:
Measure the vermicelli / semiya, keep it ready.
Chop the nuts that you prefer to add.
Powder the cardamom pods.
Boil the water.
- Whatever might be the size of your cup, the ratio of the ingredients would be the same.
- You can eliminate adding the ghee to the recipe (except for frying the dry fruits).
- Be careful while you sauté the semiya, such that it doesn’t burn.
- Don’t worry if you have added more milk, the semiya would absorb the milk and make the outcome thick and creamy after a while.
- You can add either sugar or jaggery as sweetener, either of them taste good.
- This, semiya payasam / kheer / vermicelli pudding, can be served hot or chilled too.
- Storage: This dessert stays good at room temperature for one day.
- Stays good up to 3 to 4 days when refrigerated.
- The taste of this, semiya payasam / kheer / vermicelli pudding, is very creamy and nutty.
- The texture is very soft, nothing to chew/bite except for the dry fruits.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe Card & Print:
Semiya Payasam / Vermicelli Kheer / Vermicelli Milk Pudding
- Sauce Pan / Vessel (for stove-top method)
- 1 cup Vermicelli / Semiya
- ¾ cup Sugar / Jaggery
- 3 cups Whole Milk
- 10 count Raisins / Kishmish
- 10 count Cashew nuts / Kaju
- 10 count Almonds / Badam
- 3 tablespoons Ghee (or unsalted butter)
- 4 pods Cardamom / Elaichi
- 7 to 8 strands Saffron / Kesar / Kumkumapuvvu
- 1 cup Water (hot water preferably)
- First, chop the nuts you prefer to add. Powder the cardamom pods. Get the water boiled and put aside.
- Put a thick bottomed pan / vessel on stove under a medium flame.Add one tablespoon of ghee / butter and add all the dry fruits & nuts.Fry until they turn golden brown in colour.Take aside into a separate plate.
- In the same pan add the semiya/vermicelli.Saute till they turn light brown.Now, add the boiled hot water into the semiya / vermicelli and close the vessel with lid.
- Let the water be completely absorbed by the semiya/ vermicelli so that it would soften. This might take 3-4 mins.Open the lid and check if the water is fully absorbed, then give a mix.
- Now add only 2 cups of milk and let it boil along with the semiya/ vermicelli.Once the milk is half boiled add the saffron strands and the powdered cardamom.
- Wait till the milk is completely boiled and check if the vermicelli is cooked perfectly or not.At this stage, add the sugar and remaining 2 tablespoons of ghee/butter.
- Gently mix the whole content from bottom and let it be on stove until sugar is melted completely (might take 2-3 mins).
- Remove the vessel from stove top and put aside. Now, boil the rest of the milk and pour it into the vessel.
- Add the dry fruits & nuts and serve. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later use, Pinterest Link :
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category