Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:5 mins CookTime:15 mins Cuisine:Indian
Semiya Halwa / Vermicelli Pudding is my younger darling daughter’s favourite Indian sweet dish. So this might be some nth time I am making this. Its our go-to kind of dessert, which I can make perfectly with ease and even without using any measuring & stuff.
Whenever I make this, I definitely hear a scream (out of joy) from my DD “Woow! semiya halwa…Thank you, Amma(Mom)!!” 🙂 🙂 🙂 Ya, simple things make kids happy, right!
For the sake of thickening the dessert, at the final stage, I use different powder, like desiccated coconut, sesame powder, peanut powder. In the pics below I have used, roasted sesame seeds powder. Generally, I make such powders well ahead and store them in air tight containers, hence its even more easier for me to use in my cooking.
To match the season of Valentine’s day, I have used heart shaped moulds for setting the halwa. Why dont you give a try then!! 🙂
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
My Dessert / Mithayi recipes collection⇒ Desserts / Mithayi
Traditional Indian recipes collection⇒ Traditional Indian Recipes for Festivals / Panduga Nayivedyalu
My Festive thali / platters collection⇒ Vindhu Bhojanam / Festive Lunch
- Semiya Payasam / Kheer / Vermicelli-Milk Pudding
- Bread Burfi / Bread Halwa
- Masala Vada / Masala Fritters
- Semiya / Vermicelli – 1 cup
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Raisins / Kishmish – 10
- Cashew nuts – 10
- Almonds – 10
- Cardamom pods / powder – 4 / ¼ teaspoon
- Saffron / Kumkumapuvvu – 8 strands
- Ghee / Butter – [3 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons]
- Any Food Colour – ¼ teaspoon (optional)
- Roasted Sesame Powder
- Saffron / Kumkumapuvvu
Step wise picture procedure for ‘Semiya halwa / vermicelli halwa’:
In a sauce pan, chopped Nuts & Dry Fruits being sauteed in a teaspoon of ghee and set aside.
One teaspoon of ghee and one cup of semiya/vermicelli added to the same pan.
Semiya/Vermicelli being fried until it turns golden brown.
Add food colour, saffron strands and cardamom powder also added to the
Semiya/vermiceclli thats being cooked by adding hot boiling water.
Give a mix and add 1 cup of sugar.
Add the ghee / butter, dry fruits & nuts.
Keep stirring until the content leaves the side of the pan
Transfer the content onto a greased plate, set it or serve it! Done!!
- Vegans can use a non-dairy (plant based) butter.
- You can avoid the food colour, if you wish to.
- Be generous while adding the ghee/butter, its the main ingredient here.
- Be careful while you saute the semiya / vermicelli, such that it doesn’t burn.
- Add date syrup or maple syrup or jaggery instead of processed sugar. I used unrefined raw sugar.
- It can be served warm or chilled.
- This dessert stays good at room temperature for 2 days and up to a week when refrigerated.
- The taste of this, semiya halwa / vermicelli halwa, is quite enticing.
- I like to have it warm, along with a scoop of ice-cream. Its a great combo!
Ingredients on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Semiya Halwa / Vermicelli Pudding (No Milk)
- Sauce Pan / Vessel (for stove-top method)
- 1 cup Semiya / Vermicelli
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Water (preferably hot water)
- 10 count Raisins / Kishmish
- 10 count Cashew nuts
- 10 count Almonds
- 4 pods Cardamom
- 8 strands Saffron / Kumkumapuvvu
- 3 tablespoons Ghee / Butter (+2 teaspoons)
- ¼ teaspoon Any Food Colour (optional)
- First, chop the nuts and powder the cardamom pods.Put aside. Get the water boiled and put aside.
- Put a thick bottomed pan / vessel on stove under a medium flame. Add one teaspoon of ghee / butter and add all the dry fruits & nuts. Fry them until they turn light brown in colour and take them aside.
- In the same pan add 1 teaspoon of ghee and semiya/vermicelli and saute till they turn light brown.Add the boiled hot water and close the vessel with lid.Let the water be completely absorbed by the semiya/vermicelli so that it would soften.This might take 3-4 mins.
- Add food colour, saffron strands, powdered cardamom, sugar and mix well. Let the sugar melt for 2 mins.Add the dry fruits & nuts & the remaining ghee.Keep stirring continuously until the content leaves the sides of the pan.
- Transfer the whole content onto the greased plate. Cut it into desired shape once cooled to room temp.Done!!
You can Pin it here for later use, Pinterest Link :
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category