Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:2 mins CookTime:10 mins Cuisine:Indian
Last week, I had two big loaves of brown bread at home. And I know its going to expire even before anyone of us finishes it.
Generally I make bread crumbs with excess bread that I have, but this time I wanted to make a dessert with the same. Hence, I gave an attempt with the bread crumbs. I followed the same recipe of any other burfi / halwa, to make this Bread burfi / Bread halwa.
Moreover its extremely easy to make when compared to sooji halwa (wherein you will have to be careful about lumps) . And trust me it turned out super tasty that we finished all the bread burfi / bread halwa squares within same day.
This can be in your list of ‘quick make desserts’ because it takes hardly 10 mins to prepare the burfis. So why not give a try then!!
Points to remember for making, ‘Bread Burfi / Bread Halwa’:
- Keep stirring continuously at all stages, if not there are high chances of the bread sticking to the pan.
- This dessert comes under the sweetest side of the desserts, so sugar quantity seems to be more.
- Using brown bread /whole meal bread gives a nice deep colour to the end dessert too.
Serving Suggestions for ‘Bread Burfi / Bread Halwa’:
- This dessert can be served as it is, as shown in the below pic.
- Or else the best way to serve is, along with a scoop of your favourite ice-cream.
- And here is the most attractive fusion dessert I made using this simple bread halwa recipe. Click this link for the detailed recipe post>>> Fusion Dessert with Fruit Custard & Halwa / Pudding
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned in the end.
My other dessert recipes⇒ Desserts / Mithayi
Burfi / Fudge recipes collection⇒ Indian Burfi / Fudge Recipes
Laddoo recipes collection⇒ Laddoo Recipes / Indian Energy Balls
Appetiser recipes collection⇒ Starters / Snacks
- Fusion Dessert : Fruit Custard & Halwa/Pudding
- Cherry-Banana Bread (Eggless)
- Indian Masala Sandwich
- Chana / Chickpea Sprouts & Basil Sandwich
- Fresh Bread crumbs – 2 cups
- Almonds – 10 to 12 (halved)
- Ghee / Butter – 3 tablespoons
- Milk – 1 cup
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Cardamom / Elaichi – 3
- Fresh Bread Crumbs
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Bread Burfi / Bread Halwa’:
- Prefer for fresh bread rather than hardened bread to make this sweet dish.
- I used brown bread while you can use white bread / any bread too.
- You can add any other dry fruits as you wish.
- Vegans can use coconut milk which suits best for desserts.
- If you are a vegan you can replace the ghee / butter with coconut oil.
- Cut the mix only after its set in the tray for at least 10 to 20 mins.
- If you do not want to wait, just serve it in a bowl and eat it away.
- This, Bread Burfi / Bread Halwa, turned out super tasty , soft, the sweetest and chewy.
- It doesn’t match much in taste with any other burfi / halwa.
- Look at the pic below ; don’t you feel like grabbing one and have it right away. 🙂
Bread Burfi / Bread Halwa
- Food processor / Blender / Mixie.
- Sauce Pan / Vessel (for stove-top method)
- Greased Tray / Plate
- 2 cups Fresh Bread crumbs
- 10 to 12 count Almonds (halved)
- 3 tablespoons Ghee / Butter
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 cup Sugar
- 3 count Cardamom / Elaichi (or powdered)
- Firstly, cut the bread slices into small pieces. Using a food processor / mixie, grind them into small crumbs.
- Put a wide bottom pan on stove top under medium flame. Add a tablespoon of ghee / butter and then add the chopped almonds. When the almonds turn golden brown, remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, add all the bread crumbs. Fry the crumbs for 2-3 mins until they turn a golden brown.
- Next add the sugar and mix everything well. When the sugar starts melting, start pouring the milk and keep stirring continuously with other hand.
- And, when the sugar is completely melted add the cardamom powder. Keep mixing continuously, until the sugar and milk are mixed well.You will get a thick consistency after 3-4 mins, then add the remaining ghee/butter.
- Let it be on flame for 2 more mins until it separates from the sides of the pan. Transfer the mix onto a tray, which is brushed with little ghee. Sprinkle the roasted almonds throughout and press them with reverse of a ladle.
- Cut into pieces after it sets/dries or just eat it right away by. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later use, Pinterest Link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can find my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category