Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:2 mins CookTime:10 mins Cuisine:Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
Last week, I had two big loaves of brown bread at home. And I know its going to expire even before anyone of us finishes it.
Generally I make bread crumbs with excess bread that I have, but this time I wanted to make a dessert with the same. Hence, I gave an attempt with the bread crumbs.
Read along to know more about this recipe! 🙂
Table of Contents:
- Why do I like ‘Bread Burfi / Bread Halwa’:
- Points to remember for making, ‘Bread Burfi at Home / Bread Halwa Recipe’:
- Serving Suggestions for ‘Bread Barfi / Simple Bread Halwa’:
- Other recipes from my blog:
- Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Bread Burfi / Bread Barfi Recipe / Easy Bread Halwa’:
- Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
- Recipe Card & Print:
Why do I like ‘Bread Burfi / Bread Halwa’:
I followed the same recipe of any other burfi / halwa, to make this Bread burfi / Bread halwa.
Moreover its extremely easy to make when compared to sooji halwa (wherein you will have to be careful about lumps) .
And trust me it turned out super tasty that we finished all the bread burfi / bread halwa squares within same day.
This can be in your list of ‘quick make desserts’ because it takes hardly 10 mins to prepare the burfi(s). So why not give a try then!!
Points to remember for making, ‘Bread Burfi at Home / Bread Halwa Recipe’:
Keep stirring continuously at all stages, if not there are high chances of the bread sticking to the pan.
This dessert comes under the sweetest side of the desserts, so sugar quantity seems to be more.
Using brown bread /whole meal bread gives a nice deep colour to the end dessert too.
Serving Suggestions for ‘Bread Barfi / Simple Bread Halwa’:
This dessert can be served as it is, as shown in the below pic.
Or else the best way to serve is, along with a scoop of your favourite ice-cream.
And here is the most attractive fusion dessert I made using this simple bread halwa recipe. Click this link for the detailed recipe post>>> Fusion Dessert with Fruit Custard & Halwa / Pudding
Other recipes from my blog:
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned in the end.
My other dessert recipes⇒ Desserts / Mithayi
Burfi / Fudge recipes collection⇒ Indian Burfi / Fudge Recipes
Laddoo recipes collection⇒ Laddoo Recipes / Indian Energy Balls
Appetiser recipes collection⇒ Starters / Snacks
- Fusion Dessert : Fruit Custard & Halwa/Pudding
- Cherry-Banana Bread (Eggless)
- Indian Masala Sandwich
- Chana / Chickpea Sprouts & Basil Sandwich
Follow me on⇒ Facebook / Pinterest / YouTube / Instagram
- Fresh Bread crumbs – 2 cups
- Almonds – 10 to 12 (halved)
- Ghee / Butter – 3 tablespoons
- Milk – 1 cup
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Cardamom / Elaichi – 3
- Fresh Bread Crumbs
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Bread Burfi / Bread Barfi Recipe / Easy Bread Halwa’:
- Prefer for fresh bread rather than hardened bread to make this sweet dish.
- I used brown bread while you can use white bread / any bread too.
- You can add any other dry fruits as you wish.
- Vegans can use coconut milk which suits best for desserts.
- If you are a vegan you can replace the ghee / butter with coconut oil.
- Cut the mix only after its set in the tray for at least 10 to 20 mins.
- If you do not want to wait, just serve it in a bowl and eat it away.
- This, Bread Burfi / Bread Halwa, turned out super tasty , soft, the sweetest and chewy.
- It doesn’t match much in taste with any other burfi / halwa.
- Look at the pic below ; don’t you feel like grabbing one and have it right away. 🙂
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe Card & Print:
Bread Burfi Recipe / Easy Bread Halwa Recipe
- Food processor / Blender / Mixie.
- Sauce Pan / Vessel (for stove-top method)
- Greased Tray / Plate
- 2 cups Fresh Bread crumbs
- 10 to 12 count Almonds (halved)
- 3 tablespoons Ghee / Butter
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 cup Sugar
- 3 count Cardamom / Elaichi (or powdered)
- Firstly, cut the bread slices into small pieces. Using a food processor / mixie, grind them into small crumbs.
- Put a wide bottom pan on stove top under medium flame. Add a tablespoon of ghee / butter and then add the chopped almonds. When the almonds turn golden brown, remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, add all the bread crumbs. Fry the crumbs for 2-3 mins until they turn a golden brown.
- Next add the sugar and mix everything well. When the sugar starts melting, start pouring the milk and keep stirring continuously with other hand.
- And, when the sugar is completely melted add the cardamom powder. Keep mixing continuously, until the sugar and milk are mixed well.You will get a thick consistency after 3-4 mins, then add the remaining ghee/butter.
- Let it be on flame for 2 more mins until it separates from the sides of the pan. Transfer the mix onto a tray, which is brushed with little ghee. Sprinkle the roasted almonds throughout and press them with reverse of a ladle.
- Cut into pieces after it sets/dries or just eat it right away by. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later use, Pinterest Link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can find my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category