Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10 min CookTime:10 min Cuisine:Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
These days, sandwich is a very common ANYTIME food item across the world. This below recipe is a perfect Indian version of a sandwich which is generally seen as a street food in India.
In this recipe, we use the Green Chutney as the sandwich spread and potato filling as the stuffing.
Just try this Spicy version of a sandwich with the infusion of Indian Masala. I make these sandwiches not only for snack but also for my kids lunch boxes. They just love them just with the tomato sauce.
The same recipe can be done over a tawa/pan on stove top if you do not have a sandwich maker. I have given the pictures for both the methods.
Table of Contents:
- Possible alterations for the recipe, ‘Indian Masala Sandwich / Bombay Masala Toast Sandwich’:
- SANDWICH recipes from my blog:
- Other recipes from my blog:
- Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Indian Masala Sandwich / Grilled Bombay Sandwich Recipe’:
- Prep Work:
- To make GREEN CHUTNEY:
- To make the Stuffing:
- To add the Filling:
- To GRILL the sandwich:
- To Serve:
- Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
- Recipe Card & Print:
Possible alterations for the recipe, ‘Indian Masala Sandwich / Bombay Masala Toast Sandwich’:
To Replace Potato: The best option to replace potato, is sweet potato. Tastes excellent too.
To Replace Spice: If you think red chilli powder would be spicier for kids, just eliminate or else replace with freshly ground black pepper.
Plant Based Options: I have used Plant Based butter & Plant Based cheese in this recipe.
WFPB options: To make the recipe completely Whole Food Plant Based, just eliminate the butter & cheese completely. The Green Chutney spread, is more than sufficient for giving a great taste.
Bombay Masala Toast Sandwich: This same recipe is actually called as ‘Bombay Masala Toast Sandwich’. Bombay / Mumbai is an Indian city where this sandwich has its roots.
Once you cut the sandwich diagonally, sprinkle a tablespoon of Indian Sev over the stuffing which sticks very easily. This makes the sandwich more crunchy.
SANDWICH recipes from my blog:
- Sweet Potato & Spring Onion Sandwich
- Vegan Mayo & Green Peas Spicy Sandwich
- Grilled Zucchini (Courgette) Vegan Sandwich
- Chana / Chickpea Sprouts & Basil Sandwich
- Avocado and Leafy Greens Sandwich
- Grilled Eggplant (Aubergine) Cheesy Sandwich
Other recipes from my blog:
Before starting to cook this recipe , see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Appetiser recipes collection here⇒ Starters / Snacks
Breakfast recipes collection here⇒ Breakfast / Tiffin
Kids Lunch box collection here⇒ Kids Lunch Box Ideas & Recipes
- Bread Burfi / Bread Halwa
- Cherry-Banana Bread (Eggless)
- Eggless Whole Wheat Blueberry Cobbler
- Strawberry Eggless Ice Cream (without condensed milk)
Follow me on⇒ Facebook / Pinterest / YouTube / Instagram
- Bread Slices – 8
- Grated Cheese (any) – ½ cup
- Fresh Coriander (chopped) – [1 cup + ¼ cup]
- Fresh Mint (chopped) – 1 cup
- Green Chillies – 4
- Salt – as per taste
- Boiled Potatoes – 3 large
- Chat Masala / Garam Masala/ Curry Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Red Chilli powder – ½ teaspoon
- Onions (chopped) – ½ cup
- Butter – 1 tablespoon (optional)
- Grated Cheese
- Chat Masala / Garam Masala/ Curry Powder
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Indian Masala Sandwich / Grilled Bombay Sandwich Recipe’:
As part of the prep work, boiling the potatoes is very much required.
You can boil the potatoes either on Stove Top (or) in an Instant Pot. I have given both the methods, so check accordingly.
Stove Top Method to BOIL POTATOES:
Instant Pot Method to BOIL POTATOES:
To make GREEN CHUTNEY:
To make the Stuffing:
To add the Filling:
To GRILL the sandwich:
- If you are a Vegan, you will have to use a vegan one or just eliminate it (not suitable though).
- I used whole wheat bread too, but any bread perfectly suits.
- Tomato sauce works as a perfect dip for these spicy sandwiches.
- Don’t skip the green chutney, which is a must .
- Adjust the salt & spice as per your taste.
- Storage: Make the stuffing well before, store it in the fridge and use it whenever needed.
- Or else make the sandwiches, wrap them in cling film and store for 1 day in fridge. Reheat them before serving.
- The taste of this, Indian masala sandwich, is blasting with flavours from the green chutney & masala powders.
- My kids always vote for these sandwiches, whenever I ask them for which sandwich filling they would like to have.
- Even when I pack them in my kids lunch boxes, they always get the boxes empty.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe Card & Print:
Indian Masala Sandwich / Bombay Masala Toast Sandwich
- 1 Blender/Grinder/Mixie.
- 1 Grill Pan (for stove top method) (or) Sandwich Maker
- 1 Frying pan (for stove-top method)
- 8 count Bread Slices
- ½ cup Grated Cheese (any)
- 1½ cup Fresh Coriander Leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 cup Fresh Mint Leaves (finely chopped)
- 4 count Green Chillies
- as per taste Salt
- 3 count Boiled Potatoes (large size)
- 1 teaspoon Chat Masala / Garam Masala
- ½ teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- ½ cup Onions (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Butter (optional)
- You can boil the potatoes either on Stove Top (or) in an Instant Pot. I have given both the methods, so check accordingly.
Stove Top Method to Boil Potatoes:
- Into a sauce pan, add 4 cups of water, drop the potatoes, place the lid on.Put the vessel on stove top under high flame for 20 mins.Switch the flame OFF, strain the hot water, run cold water over them and peel the skin off. Mash them perfectly.
Instant Pot Method to Boil Potatoes:
- Pour 2 cups of water into the inner pot.Place all the washed potatoes into a steel vessel and put the vessel on the steel stand that fits in the Instant pot vessel.Close the IP lid & valve. Set to PRESSURE COOK mode, for 5 mins under HIGH PRESSURE.
- Later, Release the pressure naturally (NPR), takes 10 more mins. Run cold water over them, peel the skin and mash perfectly.
To Make the Green Chutney:
- Take 1 cup of fresh mint, 1 cup of fresh coriander, green chillies and salt into a blender/mixer. Make a smooth paste.
To make the Stuffing:
- In a wide bowl, take the boiled potatoes and mash them. Add chopped onions, salt, red chilli powder, masala powder, ¼ cup of chopped coriander leaves.Mix everything thoroughly, put this stuffing aside.
To Add the Filling:
- Now take two bread slices, spread green chutney on one slice and potato filling on the other as shown.Put the grated cheese on one of the slices as shown.
To Grill the Sandwich:
- Using Sandwich Maker:Put the slice with potato filling onto the other slice with cheese spread. Brush the base of sandwich maker with butter, place the bread slices (one above another) and close the lid. Switch on the gadget & toast it until grilled to desired crunch.
- Using Stove-top:Put tawa/grill pan on stove top under high flame. Smear it with butter, place the bread slices, grill for 2 mins on each side. By pressing with a flat ladle and turning onto the other side for every 30 secs until you get a light brown colour.
- Using a bread knife / pizza cutter cut each into 2 equal parts. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later use, Pinterest Link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can find my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category