Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:15 mins CookTime:15 mins Cuisine:English
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
Whenever I make sandwiches, its a happy day for my kids. They are true fans of any sandwich that exists. Of course, it has to be something vegetarian.
They were even more excited, when I told them I’m going to make a filling something different from my other sandwich recipes.
Using eggplant (aubergine) for sandwich filling is very new to me, but I was somehow self-assured that it would turn distinctive. And so it did! Do try dear readers, this Grilled Eggplant (Aubergine) Cheesy Sandwich is going to be your best fit.
Table of Contents:
- Other sandwich recipes from my blog:
- Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Grilled Eggplant (Aubergine) Cheesy Sandwich’:
- Other recipes from my blog:
- Step Wise Pics Procedure for ‘Grilled Eggplant (Aubergine) Cheesy Sandwich’:
- Stove Top Grilled Aubergine Sandwich:
- Air Fryer Grilled Aubergine Sandwich:
- Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
- Recipe Card & Print:
Other sandwich recipes from my blog:
- Indian Masala Sandwich
- Grilled Zucchini (Courgette) Vegan Sandwich
- Sweet Potato & Spring Onion Sandwich
- Vegan Mayo & Green Peas Spicy Sandwich
- Chana / Chickpea Sprouts & Basil Sandwich
Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Grilled Eggplant (Aubergine) Cheesy Sandwich’:
Spice options: I have used 4 different spice powders to apply while grilling the eggplant. You might omit what’s not available with you, and even use some other spices which are readily available.
Plant Based options: I have used Plant based cheese for this recipe, the link for the cheese is at the end of the page.
To grill on stove top: While making the sandwiches on stove top grill pan, flip the sandwich on both sides, so that its grilled evenly on both sides.
Other recipes from my blog:
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Appetiser recipes collection here⇒ Starters / Snacks
Kids School Lunch box collection⇒ Lunch Box
Smoothie recipes collection⇒ Drink / Beverage
Related Posts with ‘EGGPLANT / AUBERGINE’:
- Vankaya Pachi Pulusu / Roasted Eggplant Cold Soup
- Roasted Eggplant Stew / Vankaya Pulusu Pachadi
- Gutti Vankaya Koora / Stuffed Brinjal Curry (Semi Dry)
- Stuffed Brinjal Dry Curry / GuttiVankaya Podi Koora
- Brinjal-Green Peas Curry / Vankaya -Bataani Koora
- Brinjal-Tomato Curry / Vankaya-Tomato Koora
- Vankaya Podi Koora / Eggplant Dry Curry (Air fryer, Stove top)
- Eggplant / Aubergine – 1 (large size)
- Bell Peppers / Capsicum – 1 (large size) (sliced)
- Onion – 1 large (sliced)
- Salt – as per taste
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Jeera Powder / Ground Cumin – 1 teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoons / as required to brush
- Mayonnaise – ¼ cup
- Grated Cheese (any) – ½ cup
- Fresh Mint Leaves (chopped) – a handful
- Grated Cheese (Mozarilla)
Step Wise Pics Procedure for ‘Grilled Eggplant (Aubergine) Cheesy Sandwich’:
Stove Top Grilled Aubergine Sandwich:
Air Fryer Grilled Aubergine Sandwich:
- Adjust the salt & spice as per your taste.
- Once the eggplants/aubergine are cut, they have a tendency to turn black due to oxidisation. So immediately transfer them into a bowl of water adding little salt & turmeric to the water.
- Not much of prep work can be done for making these sandwiches. The grilling of eggplants has to be made at the same time of making the sandwiches.
- Storage: When the sandwiches are grilled, let them cool down completely. Then, put them in an air-tight container.
- They stay good at room temperature up to a day. And for 2 days when stored in fridge.
- And when you put the container in fridge, take them out put them on stove top pan (or) air fryer again for 2 min. Then serve.
- The spice powders we used for grilling the eggplants did real wonders in giving an actual twist to the regular taste of the sandwich.
- My kids, in fact all of us, loved how well these sandwiches turned to look at and even in taste. I had to make a second batch to feed my hungry family. 🙂
- We had them just as it is, and tried couple of them with Maggie hot & sour sauce.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
Recipe Card & Print:
Grilled Eggplant (Aubergine) Cheesy Sandwich
- Grill Pan (for stove top method) (or) Sandwich Maker
- Air-Fryer for air-fryer method
- 1 count Eggplant / Aubergine (large size)
- 1 count Bell Peppers / Capsicum (large size) (sliced)
- 1 count Onion (large size) (sliced)
- as per taste Salt
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1 teaspoon Jeera Powder / Ground Cumin
- ½ teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 3 tablespoons Cooking Oil (as required to brush)
- ¼ cup Mayonnaise
- ½ cup Grated Cheese (any variety)
- a handful Fresh Mint Leaves (chopped)
- Wash the eggplant, slice into thick round circles, put them into salted water so that they do no get dark in colour.
- In a small cup, add all these>> red chilli powder, garam masala powder, jeera / ground cumin powder, required salt.Apply this spice mix onto both sides of each eggplant disc.
STOVE TOP METHOD GRILLED EGGPLANT SANDWICH:
- Put a grill pan on stove top under high flame. Brush throughout the pan with cooking oil. Place the brinjal discs and fry on both sides by turning now & then. Pour few drops of oil on he discs.
- Brush the grill pan again with oil, place the bread slices, apply butter on them. Then apply Mayonnaise. Over it put all these>> grated cheese, bell pepper slices, onion slices, grilled eggplant discs, chopped mint leaves, pinch of salt.
- Place another bread slice on each sandwich. Switch the stove on under high flame. Grill the sandwich on both sides until it turns as per your desired taste. Might taske 5 mins. Done!
AIR FRYER METHOD GRILLED EGGPLANT SANDWICH:
- Brush the air fryer mesh with oil. Place the eggplant discs on the air fryer mesh. Spray the discs with oil. Close the air fryer. Set the time to 10 mins, temperature at 200 C / 390 F.
- Brush the mesh again with oil, place the bread slice, apply butter. Then apply Mayonnaise. Over it put all these>> grated cheese, bell pepper slices, onion slices, grilled eggplant discs, chopped mint leaves, pinch of salt.
- Place another bread slice on the sandwich. Close the air fryer. Set the time to 7 to 8 mins, temperature at 200 C / 390 F. Let it grill on both sides until it turns as per your desired taste. Done!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category