Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime: 10 mins CookTime:30 mins Cuisine: Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
Idli is a South Indian savoury rice cake that can be eaten for breakfast or dinner. Last weekend I made this instant idli using a cup of vermicelli and semolina. It was so very easy and quick when compared to the original Idli recipe.
Just because this Semiya idli is an Instant recipe, which requires NO GRINDING AND NO FERMENTAION. It is a mix and make, kind of idli. And is very economical.
Table of Contents:
- Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Instant Semiya Idli (Stove Top, Instant Pot Methods)’:
- How to serve, ‘Vermicelli Idli / Semiya idli’:
- Full Video from my You Tube Channel:
- Other recipes from my blog:
- Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Instant Semiya idli / Vermicelli Instant Veg idli (Stove Top, Instant Pot)’:
- Prep Work:
- Make the Batter:
- Arranging the Idli Steamer:
- Steaming Semiya idli on Stove Top:
- Steaming Semiya idli in Instant Pot:
- Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
- Recipe Card & Print:
Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Instant Semiya Idli (Stove Top, Instant Pot Methods)’:
To replace/eliminate oil: Ghee is the right choice to replace the oil. You can even eliminate oil completely, by skipping the tempering part.
Ingredients to avoid: Urad dal, Curry Leaves, Green Chillies, Cashew Nuts can be eliminated. These are added to give the additional aroma and taste to the dish.
Make Nut free: Just eliminate adding the cashew nuts.
Without Rava / Sooji: This is not possible, as its used for binding purpose.
How to serve, ‘Vermicelli Idli / Semiya idli’:
Generally, idli is served with tiffin chutney, tiffin podi and sambar. Here are few chutney and podi recipes from my blog, suitable for idli.
- Chana Dal Chutney Recipe for Dosa, idli
- Instant Coconut Chutney / Kobbari Pachchadi
- Coconut – Almond Chutney / Kobbari – Badam Pachadi
- Peanut Chutney / Palli Pachadi
- Ginger Chutney / Andhra Allam Pachadi
- Avocado Chutney (South Indian style)
- Fresh Coconut Chutney Powder (Oil Free)
- Mint Leaves Spice Powder / Pudina Karam Podi
- Moringa / Drumstick Leaves Spice Powder / Munagaku Podi
Full Video from my You Tube Channel:
Other recipes from my blog:
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Instant Pot recipes collection⇒ Electric Pressure Cooker / Instant Pot Recipes
Drink recipes collection⇒ Drink / Beverage
Breakfast recipes collection⇒ Breakfast / Tiffin
- Semiya Halwa / Vermicelli Pudding (No Milk)
- Instant Oats Idli / Oats Veg Idli
- Yellow Moong Dal Idli / Pesarapappu Idli
- Whole Ragi Idli / Finger Millets Idli
- Semiya Payasam / Kheer / Vermicelli Milk Pudding
- Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Cumin Seeds / Jeera – 2 teaspoons
- Urad Dal / Minapappu – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard Seeds / Avalu – 2 teaspoons
- Cashew Nuts – a handful
- Semiya / Vermicelli – 1 cup
- Rava / Semolina / Sooji – 1 cup
- Curry Leaves – 1 tablespoon
- Coriander / Cilantro Leaves – a handful
- Fresh Grated Carrot – 1 cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Curd / Plain Yogurt – 1½ cups
- Baking Soda / Eno / Cooking Soda – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – 2 teaspoons
- Baking Soda / Eno / Cooking Soda
- Curd / Yogurt
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Instant Semiya idli / Vermicelli Instant Veg idli (Stove Top, Instant Pot)’:
Make the Batter:
Arranging the Idli Steamer:
Steaming Semiya idli on Stove Top:
Steaming Semiya idli in Instant Pot:
- Adjust the salt & spice as per your taste.
- Be careful, while roasting the semiya and sooji, such that they don’t burn.
- Keep stirring continuously while roasting the vermicelli and semolina, it takes 4 to 5 mins, to get the pleasant aroma and colour. This is the main tip for getting fluffy soft idli.
- This recipe does not need any grinding and fermentation.
- Storage: These idli(s) stay good at room temperature for 1 day.
- And when stored in an air tight container, in fridge, they stay good for a week.
- This batter stays good in fridge up to 2 days.
- The chutneys that I served for this idli(s) are, Chana Dal Chutney Recipe for Dosa, idli and CherryTomato Pickle / Tomato Thokku
- One is a spicy pickle and the other is an Indian Tiffin centre style very mild chutney.
- The idli(s) were very soft and fluffy, they just tasted amazing with the chutney combo.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe Card & Print:
Instant Semiya Idli / Semolina and Vermicelli Instant Idli with Video (Stove Top, Instant Pot)
- 1 Frying pan (for stove-top method)
- 1 Idli steamer / Wide bottomed vessel
- 1 Idli Stand (for both stove top & instant pot methods)
- 1 Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker (for IP method)
- 3 tablespoons Cooking Oil
- 2 teaspoons Cumin Seeds / Jeera
- 1 teaspoon Urad Dal / Minapappu
- 2 teaspoons Mustard Seeds / Avalu
- 1 handful Cashew Nuts
- 1 cup Semiya / Vermicelli
- 1 cup Rava / Semolina / Sooji
- 1 tablespoons Curry Leaves
- 1 handful Coriander / Cilantro Leaves
- 1 cup Fresh Grated Carrot
- 2 cups Water
- 1½ cups Curd / Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda / Eno / Cooking Soda
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- Get all the ingredients ready at one place. Grate the carrots. Finely chop the green chillies, coriander leaves and curry leaves.
Prepare the Batter:
- Put a small frying pan on stove top under medium flame. Add all these>> cooking oil, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, cashew nuts, urad dal. Fry them until the cashew nuts turn light brown.
- Now add all these into the pan>> Semiya / vermicelli, chopped curry leaves, chopped green chillies, semolina/sooji. Keep stirring continuously.
- Immediately add the semolina/sooji. Mix and fry everything, by stirring continuously. Until you get a pleasant aroma, might take 3 to 4 mins.
- Switch the flame off and add all these>> curd, salt, soda/eno, chopped coriander leaves, grated carrot, water (2 cups). Gently mix everything into fine batter. Let it rest for 10 to 15 mins on kitchen platform.
Arranging the Idli steamer:
- Brush the idli plates with oil. Optionally, place a cashew nut little grated carrot, chopped coriander in each hole.Pour the batter into each hole. Stack the idli pans one above another.
Stove Top Method Steaming Semiya Idli:
- Put a wide bottomed vessel on stove top under high flame. Add 2 cups of water. Place the idli steamer stack into the vessel. Close it with lid. Let it steam cook for 15 to 20 mins.
- Later switch the flame off. Leave it for about 10 mins to cool down. Then, using a wet spoon gently scoop out each idli from the hole. Done!
Instant Pot Method Steaming Semiya Idli:
- Switch the Instant Pot gadget ON, set to Sauté Mode for 2 mins. Add 2 cups of water. When the IP beeps, place the idli stack inside. Close with lid, set valve to VENTING, Mode to STEAM. External timer for 15 to 20 mins.
- Later, switch the gadget OFF. But, open the lid only after 10 mins, for the steam to cool off. Using a wet spoon gently scoop out each idli from the hole. Done!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category