Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:15 mins CookTime:15mins Cuisine:Indian
We all tend to include more vegetables in every meals might be breakfast, lunch, snack or dinner. Which is actually much required for the body to provide the necessary vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants.
Following the same, here I came up with these spongy Instant Oats Idli / Oats Veg Idli, made with oats as the main ingredient. Though I have used only carrots & fresh coriander, you can add any other finely chopped veggies like beans, capsicum, green peas, cabbage, beetroot.
We had these spongy idli(s) along with these 2 chutney(s)> Instant Coconut Chutney / Kobbari Pachchadi and Roasted Tomato Chutney / Kaalchina Tomato Pachchadi
These turned out very spongy and all it took from start to finish is just 30 mins, and the quantity served my entire family. I made the chutney(s) fresh while the idli(s) were steaming. So very much suitable for weekdays dinners and even for lunch boxes. The best way to hide veggies for kids who neglect eating their veggies.
IDLI recipes from my blog:
- Whole Ragi Idli / Finger Millets Idli
- Instant Rava Idli / Steamed Semolina Patties
- Yellow Moong Dal Idli / Pesarapappu Idli
- Instant Ragi / Bhakri / Finger Millets Idli
- Idli (with idli rice)
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Chutney recipes collection⇒ Chutney / Pachchadi / Dip
Breakfast recipes collection here⇒ Breakfast / Tiffin
Appetiser recipes collection⇒ Starters / Snacks
Related Posts with OATS:
- Carrots & Oats Smoothie (No Sweetener)
- Oats & Badam Burfi / Oats & Almond Fudge
- Peanut Butter Energy Balls (Vegan, Instant)
- Oats-Hemp Seeds Laddoo / Energy Balls
YOU TUBE VIDEO FROM MY OWN CHANNEL
- Oats – 1 cup
- Semolina / Sooji Rava / Upma Rava – 1 cup
- Curd / Yogurt – 1 cup
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – a handful
- Water – ½ cup to 1 cup (for batter)
- Grated Carrot – ½ cup
- Salt – 1 teaspoon / as per taste
- Baking Soda / Cooking Soda – 1 teaspoon
- Water – 2 cups (for steaming)
- Cooking Oil / Ghee – 1 teaspoon
Ingredients for Tempering :
- Mustard Seeds – ¼ teaspoon
- Jeera / Cumin seeds – ¼ teaspoon
- Urad Dal / Black Gram – ¼ teaspoon
- Chana Dal / Bengal Gram Lentils – ¼ teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon (optional)
- Curd / Yogurt
- Baking Soda
Step wise pics Procedure for Instant Oats Idli / Oats Veg Idli:
- Whatever might be the size of the cup, the ratio of rava:oats:curd is 1:1:1
- Vegans can use a plant-based yogurt for this recipe.
- Be careful while dry roasting the rava/semolina, so that you don’t burn.
- You can add any other veggies, like finely chopped green beans, capsicum.
- Don’t add too much water while making the batter.
- If you wish to have your idli(s) white, just skip the turmeric powder in the recipe.
- Adjust the salt as per your taste.
- This recipe does not need any fermentation.
- If you do not have the idli steamer pan, you can pour the batter into steel tumblers, and steam them as shown.
- These idli(s) can be be re-heated and served even when they are steamed a day before.
- The batter stays good up to 2 days when stored in fridge.
- These, Instant Oats Idli / Oats Veg Idli, were truly very spongy and tasty even when they were hot enough.
- I made the chutney(s) fresh while the idli(s) were steaming.
- We had these spongy idli(s) along with these 2 condiments> Instant Coconut Chutney / Kobbari Pachchadi and Roasted Tomato Chutney / Kaalchina Tomato Pachchadi
Instant Oats Idli / Oats Veg Idli
- Spice blender / Small mixie
- Idli steamer
- 1 cup Oats
- 1 cup Semolina / Sooji Rava / Upma Rava
- 1 cup Curd / Yogurt
- ½ to 1 cup Water (for batter)
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – a handful (finely chopped)
- ½ cup Grated Carrot
- 1 teaspoon Salt (or as per taste)
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda / Cooking Soda
- 2 cups Water (for steaming)
- 1 teaspoon Cooking Oil / Ghee
Ingredients for Tempering:
- ¼ teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- ¼ teaspoon Jeera / Cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon Urad Dal / Split Black Gram
- ¼ teaspoon Chana Dal / Split Bengal Gram
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder (optional)
- Take the oats into blending jar / spice blender, make them into fine powder.
- Put a frying pan on stove top under medium flame.
- Add the oil and let it heat. Add all the ‘ingredients for tempering’ and saute.
- Add the semolina/rava and dry roast by stirring continuously. Until you get a pleasant aroma and its colour changes slightly. (might take 3-4 mins)
- Switch the flame off. Transfer all the powdered oats into the pan, mix up everything.
- Now transfer the curd/yogurt, grated carrot, chopped fresh coriander leaves, salt and cooking / baking soda into the same pan.
- Add the water, thoroughly mix up everything and rest the batter for 10 mins.
- Apply oil to the idli pans and pour in the batter up to ¾ level of each hole.
- Put the pans into an idli steamer or into a wide bottomed vessel filled with 2 cups of water.
- Close the lid of the vessel, put it on stove top under high flame.
- Steam them for up to 10-12 mins, switch the flame off and leave the vessel unopened for 3 more mins.
- Using a wet spoon, Gently scoop out each idli from its hole. Dip the spoon each time in water and repeat for all. Serve.
- Piping hot steamed Oats Idli(s) served with Roasted Tomato Chutney and Instant Coconut chutney.
You can Pinit here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category