Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:15 mins CookTime:10 mins Cuisine:Indian
Hi All! 🙂 Here I’m with my next recipe, Chickpea Burger Patties (Air Fryer, Stove top) also called as Falafel burger patties. Just like my previous Air – Fryer Recipes , I have given BOTH stove-top and air-fryer methods. Check the pics below and choose the right method that suits you!
This was the scene when my 3 kids came back from their weekend classes (activities), & while I was half way in making these patties…
My younger daughter, very excitedly: “Wooow!! burger patties! Amma, so are we having burgers for dinner???!!!”. Me: “hmmm…that’s the plan but you will have to wait for some half an hour more…”. My elder daughter: “Okay sure, Amma! in the mean while, let us taste these patties with the dips first”. For which I agreed and took few snaps while they were devouring them.
But, later I realised, they were so hungry that none of the patties were left. Couldn’t make the burgers too. 🙁 I made this homemade dip, which was a winner. Shall promise to share the recipes for both the dip & burgers very soon!
Meanwhile, don’t forget to try these, Chickpea Burger Patties (Air Fryer & Stove top) ALL IN ONE (Vegan, Carbs Filled, Gluten free, RICH IN Protein, Iron & Fiber), patties and check the TIPS to store / freeze them too.
These are few other recipes on my blog, where chickpeas / chana / garbanzo beans is the main ingredient.
Recipes with Chickpeas / Garbanzo Beans:
- Chana-Aloo Chat / Chickpeas-Potato Salad
- Chana / Chickpea Sprouts & Basil Sandwich
- Chickpea Fritters / Chana Pakoda (Air Fryer, Stove top)
- Thalimpu Senagala / Chana Tadka / Seasoned Chickpeas
- Chickpea Sprouts & Mango Salad
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
My Air-Fryer recipes collection here⇒ Air – Fryer Recipes
My other Appetiser recipes here⇒ Starters / Snacks
Chutney recipes collection⇒ Chutney / Pachchadi / Dip
- After School / Lunch Box Sweet Treats
- Kids Lunch Boxes
- Boiled Peanut Salad (Vegan & GF) / Palli Guggillu
- Red Kidney Beans Nuggets / Rajma Masala Vada / Fritters
- Chickpeas / Chana / Garbanzo beans – 1 cup (canned / boiled)
- Sweet Potatoes – 2 medium / 1 large (steamed / boiled)
- Chickpea flour / Besan / Gram flour – 1 tablespoon
- Onion – 1 medium size (chopped)
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – 3 twigs (chopped)
- Cumin / Jeera Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Green Chillies – 1 (chopped)
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Cooking Oil – 2 tablespoons (for stove-top)
- ” 1 teaspoon (for air-fryer)
- Chickpea flour / Besan / Gram flour
- Cumin / Jeera Powder
Step wise pics Procedure for Chickpea Burger Patties (Air Fryer & Stove top):
PREP WORK(to boil chickpeas & sweet potatoes):
- Take the chickpeas into a wide vessel, wash them thoroughly.
- Add 3 times the quantity of water and let them soak overnight / for 7 to 8 hrs.
- Later, strain the water.
- Wash the sweet potatoes, do not peel, cut them into cubes / rounds.
TO BOIL ON STOVE TOP:
TO BOIL IN AN INSTANT POT / ELECTRIC PRESSURE COOKER:
TO MAKE PATTIES:
- I have used black chickpeas while garbanzo beans / yellow chickpeas also work perfectly.
- The prep time is given as 15 mins, where I excluded the soaking time of 7-8 hrs.
- If using canned chickpeas, skip the pressure cooking steps.
- Adjust the salt & spice as per your taste.
- You can store the pressure cooked chickpeas & sweet potatoes ground mix, in the fridge and make the patties instantly.
- For the air-fryer method, I just brushed the mesh, which worked perfectly. You can even eliminate the oil completely, and brush the mesh with water.
- You can freeze these, UNCOOKED / COOKED patties.
- Just pile up one above the other, but separate each one by using baking paper. Take them out, just fry them directly. You need not thaw them.
- These, Chickpea / Falafel Burger Patties (Air Fryer & Stove top), are perfectly cooked both outside and inside.
- Its a complete power packed, ALL IN ONE appetiser (Vegan, Carbs Filled, Gluten free, RICH IN Protein, Iron & Fiber), patties.
- I served them with tomato ketchup and homemade yogurt dip, along with a healthy salad of salad cucumber & carrot slices.
- They were flavourful and tasted scrumptious.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chickpea Burger Patties / Falafel Burger Patties (Air Fryer & Stove top)
- Air-Fryer for air-fryer method
- Frying pan (for stove-top method)
- 1 cup Chickpeas / Chana / Garbanzo beans (canned / boiled)
- 2 count Sweet Potatoes (medium size) (steamed / boiled)
- 1 tablespoon Chickpea flour / Besan / Gram flour
- 1 count Onion (medium size) (chopped)
- 3 twigs Fresh Coriander Leaves (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin / Jeera Powder – 1 teaspoon
- 1 count Green Chillies (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Salt – 1 teaspoon
- 2 tablespoons Cooking Oil – 2 tablespoons (for stove-top)
- 1 teaspoon ” ” (for air-fryer)
PREP WORK(to soak chickpeas & boil along with sweet potatoes):
- Take the chickpeas into a wide vessel, wash them thoroughly.Add 3 times of water and let them soak overnight / for 7 to 8 hrs. Later, strain the water.Wash the sweet potatoes, do not peel, cut them into cubes / rounds.
- Take the soaked chickpeas and sweet potatoes together into the pressure cooker. Add water up to the level of the chickpeas. Pressure Cook on stove-top under high for 5-6 whistles.
TO MAKE PATTIES:
- Mash the sweet potatoes & chickpeas coarsely. Into the same bowl, take the cumin / jeera powder, salt along with chopped green chillies, onion and coriander leaves.
- Mix up everything to make the batter. Make small balls as shown, and then pat them with your palm to form small patties.
- Put a frying pan on stove-top, under medium flame. Pour the oil, let it heat. Gently, place the patties, pan fry them on one side for 2 mins.
- Using a spatula, gently turn each of the patty to the other side. Let them fry until they turn golden brown in colour. Done!
- Brush the base of air-fryer mesh with oil / use an oil-spray throughout. Plate nugget patties over it. Cook for 8-9 mins on one side, at 200ºC / 390ºF
- Gently flip to the other side, give a bit of oil-spray (if needed) and fry for 5-6 mins more, at same temperature. Done!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category