Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:15 mins CookTime:10 mins Cuisine:Indian
Hi All! 🙂 Here I’m with my next recipe, Chickpea Burger Patties (Air Fryer, Stove top) also called as Falafel burger patties. Just like my previous Air – Fryer Recipes , I have given BOTH stove-top and air-fryer methods. Check the pics below and choose the right method that suits you!
This was the scene when my 3 kids came back from their weekend classes (activities), & while I was half way in making these patties…
My younger daughter, very excitedly: “Wooow!! burger patties! Amma, so are we having burgers for dinner???!!!”. Me: “hmmm…that’s the plan but you will have to wait for some half an hour more…”. My elder daughter: “Okay sure, Amma! in the mean while, let us taste these patties with the dips first”. For which I agreed and took few snaps while they were devouring them.
But, later I realised, they were so hungry that none of the patties were left. Couldn’t make the burgers too. 🙁 I made this homemade dip, which was a winner. Shall promise to share the recipes for both the dip & burgers very soon!
Meanwhile, don’t forget to try these, Chickpea Burger Patties (Air Fryer & Stove top) ALL IN ONE (Vegan, Carbs Filled, Gluten free, RICH IN Protein, Iron & Fiber), patties and check the TIPS to store / freeze them too.
These are few other recipes on my blog, where chickpeas / chana / garbanzo beans is the main ingredient.
Recipes with Chickpeas / Garbanzo Beans:
- Chana-Aloo Chat / Chickpeas-Potato Salad
- Chana / Chickpea Sprouts & Basil Sandwich
- Chickpea Fritters / Chana Pakoda (Air Fryer, Stove top)
- Thalimpu Senagala / Chana Tadka / Seasoned Chickpeas
- Chickpea Sprouts & Mango Salad
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
My Air-Fryer recipes collection here⇒ Air – Fryer Recipes
My other Appetiser recipes here⇒ Starters / Snacks
Chutney recipes collection⇒ Chutney / Pachchadi / Dip
- After School / Lunch Box Sweet Treats
- Kids Lunch Boxes
- Boiled Peanut Salad (Vegan & GF) / Palli Guggillu
- Red Kidney Beans Nuggets / Rajma Masala Vada / Fritters
- Chickpeas / Chana / Garbanzo beans – 1 cup (canned / boiled)
- Sweet Potatoes – 2 medium / 1 large (steamed / boiled)
- Chickpea flour / Besan / Gram flour – 2 tablespoons
- Onion – 1 medium size (chopped)
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – 3 twigs (chopped)
- Cumin / Jeera Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Green Chillies – 1 (chopped)
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Cooking Oil – 2 tablespoons (for stove-top)
- ” 1 teaspoon (for air-fryer)
- Chickpea flour / Besan / Gram flour
- Cumin / Jeera Powder
Step wise pics Procedure for Chickpea Burger Patties (Air Fryer & Stove top):
PREP WORK(to boil chickpeas & sweet potatoes):
- Take the chickpeas into a wide vessel, wash them thoroughly.
- Add 3 times the quantity of water and let them soak overnight / for 7 to 8 hrs.
- Later, strain the water.
- Wash the sweet potatoes, do not peel, cut them into cubes / rounds.
TO BOIL ON STOVE TOP:
TO BOIL IN AN INSTANT POT / ELECTRIC PRESSURE COOKER:
TO MAKE PATTIES:
- I have used black chickpeas while garbanzo beans / yellow chickpeas also work perfectly.
- The prep time is given as 15 mins, where I excluded the soaking time of 7-8 hrs.
- If using canned chickpeas, skip the pressure cooking steps.
- Adjust the salt & spice as per your taste.
- If the specified besan / chickpea flour is not enough, add more such that the patties are firm enough and do not fall apart.
- You can store the pressure cooked chickpeas & sweet potatoes ground mix, in the fridge and make the patties instantly.
- The Instant Pot Method of boiling the chickpeas & sweet potatoes, takes the same time even if the quantities taken are twice or thrice too.
- For the air-fryer method, I just brushed the mesh, which worked perfectly. You can even eliminate the oil completely, and brush the mesh with water.
- You can freeze these, UNCOOKED / COOKED patties.
- Just pile up one above the other, but separate each one by using baking paper. Take them out, just fry them directly. You need not thaw them.
- These, Chickpea / Falafel Burger Patties (Air Fryer & Stove top), are perfectly cooked both outside and inside.
- Its a complete power packed, ALL IN ONE appetiser (Vegan, Carbs Filled, Gluten free, RICH IN Protein, Iron & Fiber), patties.
- I served them with tomato ketchup and homemade yogurt dip, along with a healthy salad of salad cucumber & carrot slices.
- They were flavourful and tasted scrumptious.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chickpea Burger Patties / Falafel Burger Patties (Air Fryer & Stove top)
- Air-Fryer for air-fryer method
- Frying pan (for stove-top method)
- Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker (for IP method) (to boil)
- Stove top vessel / Pressure cooker (to boil)
- 1 cup Chickpeas / Chana / Garbanzo beans (canned / boiled)
- 2 count Sweet Potatoes (medium size) (steamed / boiled)
- 2 tablespoons Chickpea flour / Besan / Gram flour
- 1 count Onion (medium size) (chopped)
- 3 twigs Fresh Coriander Leaves (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin / Jeera Powder – 1 teaspoon
- 1 count Green Chillies (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Salt – 1 teaspoon
- 2 tablespoons Cooking Oil – 2 tablespoons (for stove-top)
- 1 teaspoon " " (for air-fryer)
PREP WORK(to soak chickpeas & boil along with sweet potatoes):
- Take the chickpeas into a wide vessel, wash them thoroughly.Add 3 times of water and let them soak overnight / for 7 to 8 hrs. Later, strain the water.Wash the sweet potatoes, do not peel, cut them into cubes / rounds.
- TO BOIL ON STOVE TOP:Take the soaked chickpeas and sweet potatoes together into the pressure cooker. Add water up to the level of the chickpeas. Pressure Cook on stove-top under high for 5-6 whistles.TO BOIL IN AN INSTANT POT / ELECTRIC PRESSURE COOKER:Take the soaked chickpeas and sweet potatoes together into the instant pot. Add water up to the level that everything is sunk. Close the lid, set the valve to SEALING. Select ‘Pressure Cook’ mode under HIGH PRESSURE, for 5 mins. Release the pressure naturally (NPR).
TO MAKE PATTIES:
- Strain the water from the boiled chickpeas & sweet potatoes. Mash the sweet potatoes & chickpeas coarsely. Into the same bowl, take the chickpea flour/ besan, cumin / jeera powder, salt, along with chopped green chillies, onion and coriander leaves.
- Mix up everything to make the batter. Make small balls as shown, and then pat them with your palm to form small patties.
- Put a frying pan on stove-top, under medium flame. Pour the oil, let it heat. Gently, place the patties, pan fry them on one side for 2 mins.
- Using a spatula, gently turn each of the patty to the other side. Let them fry until they turn golden brown in colour. Done!
- Brush the base of air-fryer mesh with oil / use an oil-spray throughout. Plate nugget patties over it. Cook for 8-9 mins on one side, at 200ºC / 390ºF
- Gently flip to the other side, give a bit of oil-spray (if needed) and fry for 5-6 mins more, at same temperature. Done!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category