Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:15 mins CookTime:15 mins Cuisine:Indian
Pakoda / Pakora / Fritters are the easy and quick answer for satisfying our hunger pangs during tea time or as a treat for sudden guests.My kids especially love to have this as an evening treat.
Who doesn’t love Onion Pakoda?! They are a regular visitor in my kitchen. But,I often feel guilty eating them frequently,as they are fried in oil, so I thought of making it nutritious by adding protein & fiber to it. For an even healthier version, I attempted them in my Air-Fryer,to avoid the oil.
Here comes the Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten free, Protein & Fiber Rich recipe!
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Air-Fryer recipes collection⇒ Air – Fryer Recipes
My Starter / Appetiser recipes collection⇒ Starters / Snacks
Daily Thali(s) collection⇒ Bhojanam / Thali / Meal Platter
- Chana / Chickpea Sprouts & Basil Sandwich
- Chickpeas-Potato Salad / Chana-Aloo Chat
- Bell Pepper & Lentil Fritters / Capsicum Punugulu
- Thalimpu Senagala / Chana Tadka / Seasoned Chickpeas
- Chickpeas / Chana – 1 cup (boiled)
- Besan / Chickpea Flour / Gram Flour – ¼ cup
- Rice Flour / Biyyappindi – 2 tablespoons
- Onions – 1 (finely chopped)
- Green Chillies – 3
- Chopped Fresh Ginger – 1 tablespoon
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – 2 tablespoons (chopped)
- Curry Leaves – 10 (chopped) (optional)
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Salt – ½ teaspoon / as per taste
- Cooking Oil – 2 cups (for stove-top method)
- ” ” – 2 teaspoons (for air-fryer method)
- Rice Flour / Biyyappindi
- Chopped Fresh Ginger
Step wise pics Procedure for Chickpea fritters / chana pakoda (air fryer & stove top):
STOVE – TOP METHOD:
AIR – FRYER METHOD:
- Add the ingredients in the list, as per your availability.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- You can add ¼ or ½ teaspoon of curry powder, as an alternative to curry leaves. If not just skip altogether.
- For air-fryer method, the batter mix has to be thick. Be careful while adding water to the batter. I just added 2-3 tablespoons.
- But for stove-top method it can be in flowing consistency as well.
- The oil for deep frying must be perfectly hot, to test this just drop a small blob of batter into the oil and check .
- You can store the batter in the refrigerator/freezer and fry them when needed.
- The fried fritters / pakoda stay good for up to 2 days at room temperature (or) can be stored in fridge but are to be reheated in microwave before serving.
- These, chickpea fritters / chana pakoda (air fryer & stove top), both versions are crispy on the outside and soft from inside.
- Its a protein packed crunchy appetiser suitable to satisfy your afternoon hunger pranks in a healthy way.
- We had them along with sliced raw onions & fried green chillies, for additional spice.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chickpea Fritters/ Chana Pakoda(Air Fryer, Stovetop)
- 1 cup Chickpeas / Chana (boiled)
- ¼ cup Besan/Chickpea Flour/Gram Flour
- 2 tablespoons Rice Flour/Biyyapindi
- 1 count Onion (finely chopped)
- 3 count Green Chillies
- 1 tablespoon Chopped Fresh Ginger
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Coriander Leaves (finely chopped)
- 10 count Curry Leaves (chopped) (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Red Chilli Powder (as per taste)
- ½ teaspoon Salt (as per taste)
- 2 cups Cooking Oil (for stove-top method)
- Chickpeas soaked for 7 to 8 hrs and boiled in pressure cooker for 4 to 5 whistles, taken into wide a mixing bowl.
- Without adding any water, Grind them coarsely using a processor/grinder.
- Now, add all the rest of the ingredients (except cooking oil) into the same bowl.Pour 3 to 4 tablespoons of water as needed, Gently mix up everything and make the batter ready.
- Put a deep frying pan on stove top, add the 2 cups of oil, let it heat on high flame.
- Gently drop small blobs of batter into the oil, let them fry on both sides until they turn golden brown. Done!!
- Brush the mesh of air-fryer with oil / use an oil-spray throughout. Place the small blobs of the batter over it.
- Cook for 7-8 mins on one side,at 200ºC / 390ºF .
- Gently flip each to the other side, give a bit of oil-spray and fry for 2-3 mins more, at same temperature. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category