Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:15 mins CookTime:15 mins Cuisine:Indian
Pakoda / Pakora / Fritters are the easy and quick answer for satisfying the hunger pranks during tea time or as evening snack for kids. And even for treating sudden guests.
Who doesn’t love Onion Pakoda?! But, I feel guilty eating them frequently, so just thought of making it nutritious by adding protein & fiber to it. And for an even more healthier version I tried them in my Air-Fryer, to avoid the oil.
Here comes the Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten free, Protein & Fiber Rich recipe!
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Air-Fryer recipes collection⇒ Air – Fryer Recipes
My Starter / Appetiser recipes collection⇒ Starters / Snacks
Daily Thali(s) collection⇒ Bhojanam / Thali / Meal Platter
- Chana / Chickpea Sprouts & Basil Sandwich
- Chickpeas-Potato Salad / Chana-Aloo Chat
- Bell Pepper & Lentil Fritters / Capsicum Punugulu
- Thalimpu Senagala / Chana Tadka / Seasoned Chickpeas
- Boiled Chickpeas / Chana – 1 cup
- Besan / Chickpea Flour / Gram Flour – ¼ cup
- Rice Flour / Biyyappindi – 2 tablespoons
- Onions – 1 (finely chopped)
- Green Chillies – 3
- Chopped Fresh Ginger – 1 tablespoon
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – 2 tablespoons (chopped)
- Curry Leaves – 10 (chopped) (optional)
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder –
- Salt – as per taste
- Cooking Oil – 2 cups (for stove-top method)
- ” ” – 2 teaspoons (for air-fryer method)
- Rice Flour / Biyyappindi
- Chopped Fresh Ginger
Step wise pics Procedure for Chickpea fritters / chana pakoda (air fryer & stove top):
STOVE – TOP METHOD:
AIR – FRYER METHOD:
- Add the ingredients in the list, as per your availability.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- You can add ¼ or ½ teaspoon of curry powder, as an alternative to curry leaves. If not just skip altogether.
- For air-fryer method, the batter mix has to be thick. Be careful while adding water to the batter. I just added 2-3 tablespoons.
- But for stove-top method it can be in flowing consistency as well.
- The oil for deep frying must be perfectly hot, to test this just drop a small blob of batter into the oil and check .
- You can store the batter in the refrigerator/freezer and fry them when needed.
- The fried fritters / pakoda stay good for up to 2 days at room temperature (or) can be stored in fridge but are to be reheated in microwave before serving.
- These, chickpea fritters / chana pakoda (air fryer & stove top), both versions are crispy on the outside and soft from inside.
- Its a protein packed crunchy appetiser suitable to satisfy your afternoon hunger pranks in a healthy way.
- We had them along with sliced raw onions & fried green chillies, for additional spice.
You can Pinit here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category