Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:20 mins CookTime: Given Below Cuisine: Indian
How about having a one pot meal, which has Carbs, Protein, Iron, Fibre & other essential nutrients? Oh! ya…don’t you think this recipe is a perfect match for all above.
And, its an easy way to hide greens from children who keep skipping. If you have soaked garbanzo beans / chickpeas in fridge, just like me, then its a quick meal for kids lunch box too.
Table of Contents:
- How to serve, ‘Spinach and Garbanzo Beans Vegan Pulao Rice’:
- Can boiled Chickpeas / Chana be used?
- Health Benefits of ‘Spinach and Chickpeas One Pot Pulao Rice’:
- Other recipes from my blog:
- Step Wise Pics Procedure for ‘Spinach & Chickpeas Pulao Rice (South Indian Style)’:
- Prep Work (common for both methods):
- Stove Top Method Cooking: (15mins)
- Instant Pot Method Cooking: (9 mins)
- Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
- Recipe Card & Print:
How to serve, ‘Spinach and Garbanzo Beans Vegan Pulao Rice’:
Actually, this Spinach (Palak) & Chickpeas (Chana) Pulao Rice, can be happily devoured just as it is.
Can boiled Chickpeas / Chana be used?
Yes you can use boiled or canned chickpeas as well. In that case, expect the chickpeas to turn a bit more mushy.
But I prefer, soaked chana / chickpeas, for they would cook along with the rice and would turn into non-mushy & nutty texture.
Health Benefits of ‘Spinach and Chickpeas One Pot Pulao Rice’:
Chickpeas / Garbanzo beans Chana are rich in protein, iron & fibre.
Spinach is full of iron & folic.
Rice obviously has high level of carbohydrates & starch.
Calcium from Raita. Nutrients & Anti-oxidants from Vegetables of curry/side if you serve.
To Conclude: This way the entire platter, forms a great source of daily health requirements. This pulao rice has (Protein + Iron + Fibre + Carbs).
Other recipes from my blog:
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Instant Pot recipes collection⇒ Instant Pot / Electric Pressure Cooker Recipes
Green Vegetable recipes collection⇒ Recipes with GREENS
Rice recipes collection⇒ Main Course
- Spinach & Corn Tacos with Guacamole
- Avocado & Spinach Green Smoothie Bowl
- Rajma & Palak Masala / Red Kidney Beans & Spinach Curry
- Spinach & Peanut Chutney / Pachadi
- Rice grains – 2 cups (uncooked)
- Spinach – 1 cup (pressed) (fresh / fozen)
- Chickpeas / Garbanzo Beans / Chana – 1 cup (soaked)
- Large Onion – 1 (finely chopped)
- Chopped Ginger & Garlic – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoon
- Fresh Green Chillies – 3 (slit length wise)
- Cinnamon / Dalchini – 2 sticks
- Turmeric Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Mustard Seeds / Aavalu – ¼ teaspoon
- Cloves / Lavang – 4
- Jeera / Whole Cumin – ¼ teaspoon
- Bay Leaves – 2
- Ground Cumin / Jeera Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Ground Coriander / Dhaniya Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – 1 tablespoon (for garnish)
- Water – as required
- Mustard Seeds / Aavalu
- Turmeric Powder
Step Wise Pics Procedure for ‘Spinach & Chickpeas Pulao Rice (South Indian Style)’:
Prep Work (common for both methods):
RICE:WATER ratio for Stove top is 1:1½ ; Instant Pot Pressure Cooker is 1:1¼.
Wash the rice thoroughly 2 to 3 times. Add water and set aside for at least 20 mins. Drain the water before use.
Chop the onions, ginger and garlic (optional). Slit the green chillies length wise.
Finely chop the spinach, coriander leaves and get all the ingredients at one place.
Stove Top Method Cooking: (15mins)
Instant Pot Method Cooking: (9 mins)
- I have tried the same recipe with long grain white rice and basmati white rice.
- Adjust the salt & spice as per your taste.
- Black chickpeas / Kala chana can also be used instead of garbanzo beans.
- Rice:Water ratio for Stove top is 1:1½ ; Instant Pot Pressure Cooker is 1:1¼.
- The quantity of water might slightly vary with the quality of the rice.
- Soaking of the rice for any pulao is important, this makes rice to turn fluffy.
- For Instant Pot method, you can use RICE MODE instead of pressure cook mode, wherein the gadget itself adjusts the time according to the quantity you put in.
- Stove-top pressure cooker: Just follow the same recipe as instant pot, but let the rice cook for 3 whistles.
- Storage: This, Spinach & Chickpeas Pulao rice (South Indian style), stays good for 1 day at room temperature.
- It can also be stored in refrigerator for a week, and can be re-heated before serving.
- We had 2 sides, Carrot Raita / Carrot Yogurt Dip and Roasted Tomato Chutney ,along with this pulao rice.
- The masala flavours, nutty & mild sweetness from chickpeas, and the wilted hidden spinach makes this dish appealing to anyone.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe Card & Print:
Spinach (Palak) & Chickpeas / Garbanzo Beans (Chana) Pulao
- 1 Sauce Pan / Vessel (for stove-top method)
- 1 Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker (for IP method)
- 2 cups Rice grains (uncooked) (Basmati / Long Grain)
- 1 cup Spinach (pressed) (fresh / fozen)
- 1 cup Chickpeas / Garbanzo Beans / Chana (soaked)
- 1 large Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Chopped Ginger & Garlic (or paste)
- as per taste Salt
- 3 tablespoons Cooking Oil
- 2 count Fresh Green Chillies (slit length wise)
- 2 sticks Cinnamon / Dalchini
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Mustard Seeds / Aavalu
- 4 count Cloves / Lavang
- ¼ teaspoon Jeera / Whole Cumin
- 2 count Bay Leaves
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cumin / Jeera Powder
- ½ teaspoon Ground Coriander / Dhaniya Powder
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Coriander Leaves (for garnish)
- as required Water
RICE : WATER RATIO for Stove top is 1:1½ ; Instant Pot Pressure Cooker is 1:1¼.
- Wash the rice thoroughly 2 to 3 times. Add water and set aside for at least 20 mins. Drain the water before use.Chop the onions, ginger and garlic (optional). Slit the green chillies length wise. Finely chop the spinach, coriander leaves and get all the ingredients at one place.
STOVE-TOP METHOD COOKING (time:15mins)
- Put a frying pan on stove top under medium flame, add oil & mustard seeds. When the seeds splutter, add chopped onion, bay leaves, cinnamon, cloves, cumin seeds.
- Stir fry the onions until transparent. Now, add chopped spinach, chickpeas, chopped ginger-garlic / paste. Mix up everything.
- Now, add the soaked rice after draining the water. Add ground cumin / jeera powder, ground coriander / dhaniya powder and salt. Then, add fresh water (1:1½ as per measurement).Give everything a gentle mix.
- Close the vessel with lid, cook on medium flame for 5 mins.Then change to low flame and continue for 5 more mins.
- Later switch the flame off, fluff up the rice with a fork.Transfer the pulao into a serving dish, garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Done!!
INSTANT POT / ELECTRIC PRESSURE COOKER METHOD (time:9mins)
- Switch ON the GADGET, set to SAUTE mode for 4 mins. Add the OIL, let it heat.Transfer the mustard seeds, bay leaves, cinnamon stick, chopped ginger-garlic / paste, chopped onion, turmeric powder. Sauté everything.
- When the onions become transparent, add the chickpeas, chopped spinach, ground cumin / jeera powder, ground coriander / dhaniya powder and salt. Mix everything.
- When the IP beeps after 4 mins.Pour 2 tablespoons of water, scrape the bottom to deglaze.Transfer the soaked rice after draining the water. Add fresh water (1:1¼ as per measurement) into the pot. Give a gentle mix.
- Close with lid, and valve to SEALING. Set to PRESSURE COOK mode under LOW pressure for 5 mins or else set to RICE MODE.
- After NPR (natural pressure release), using a fork, gently fluff up everything. Transfer the pula rice into a serving dish, garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category