Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10 mins CookTime:GivenBelow Cuisine:Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
Aloo Gobi Gravy Curry is a classic North Indian dish that combines tender potato cubes and cauliflower florets in a rich and flavourful vegan gravy made with onions, tomatoes and Indian spices.
Its a comforting and satisfying curry perfect for a cosy dinner or as a show-stopping dish for a special occasion. The potatoes and cauliflower makes this a great combo for any occasion and it’s sure to be a favourite!
This, Indian dhaba style Potatoes and Cauliflower Vegan Masala Curry, that I am sharing is an authentic restaurant style recipe and I hope you would be impressed too.
Gobi Aloo Masala, is definitely a classic in any Indian menu and mine is unquestionably a treasured one in my kids memory as they keep requesting on repeat. Here it is! 🙂
Table of Contents:
- Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Potato Cauliflower Gravy Curry (Instant Pot, Stove Top)’:
- How to serve, ‘Aloo Gobi Masala Vegan Indian Curry’:
- Other recipes from my blog:
- Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Aloo Gobi Gravy Curry (Stove Top, Instant Pot Methods)’:
- Prep Work (common for both methods):
- Stove Top Method Aloo Gobi Gravy Curry:
- Instant Pot Method Aloo Gobi Gravy Curry:
- Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
- Recipe Card & Print:
Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Potato Cauliflower Gravy Curry (Instant Pot, Stove Top)’:
Adding more masala: Do not add garam masala powder, or any other garam masala spices. Which will only ruin the authentic taste of this restaurant style recipe.
Eliminate Onion-Garlic: As we are using tomato as liquid for gravy, you can eliminate adding onion-garlic.
Potato variety: I have used white baking potatoes, so that they are easily cooked.
To skip green peas: Yes, you can. Shouldn’t make a difference.
How to serve, ‘Aloo Gobi Masala Vegan Indian Curry’:
The best option is as a side dish with steamed rice (basmati / long grain) either white or brown rice. And any of the Indian style pulavs.
- Green Beans Masala Rice
- Spinach & Chickpeas Pulao Rice (South Indian style)
- Green Moong Beans (Sprouts) Pulao (Instant Pot / Stove top)
- Jeera Pulao / Cumin Rice (Instant Pot, Stove Top)
- Spring Onion Pulao / Salad Onion Rice
- Methi Pulao / Rice with Fenugreek Leaves
Next comes the option of serving it along with Indian flat breads like, Naan, Roti, Phulka, Paratha.
If you intend to balance the spice, you can have this curry and a serving of raita or plain yogurt , along with either rice (or) Indian flat breads.
Other recipes from my blog:
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Instant Pot recipes collection⇒ Electric Pressure Cooker / Instant Pot Recipes
Curry recipes collection⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
Air Fryer recipes collection⇒ Air – Fryer Recipes
Related Posts with ‘CAULIFLOWER’:
Follow me on⇒ Facebook / Pinterest / YouTube / Instagram
- Aloo / Potatoes (diced) – 3 cups (heaped)
- Gobi / Cauliflower (big florets) – 3 cups (heaped)
- Cooking Oil – 4 tablespoon
- Onion pieces – 1½ cups
- Ginger Garlic – 1 tablespoon (fresh/paste)
- Green Chillies – 4
- Tomato pieces- 1½ cups
- Salt – as per taste
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder – 2 teaspoons
- Turmeric Powder – 1½ teaspoon
- Ground Coriander / Dhaniya Powder – 3 teaspoons
- Green Peas – ¾ cup
- Coconut Milk – ½ cup
- Water – for cooking
- Fresh Coriander / Cilantro Leaves – a handful (for garnish)
- high pressure, 4mins.
- Coconut Milk
- Ground Coriander / Dhaniya Powder
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Aloo Gobi Gravy Curry (Stove Top, Instant Pot Methods)’:
Prep Work (common for both methods):
Stove Top Method Aloo Gobi Gravy Curry:
Instant Pot Method Aloo Gobi Gravy Curry:
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- Always use large size florets, cut the potatoes into large size cubes only. If not they might turn mushy.
- When the curry is finished cooking, the veg pieces need to be firm. So, don’t mash them.
- Storage: At room temperature, this curry stays good only for 1 day.
- You can store it in fridge for 3 days, after transferring into an air tight container. Just reheat before serving.
- This, Indian restaurant style, Aloo Gobi Masala Gravy Curry, is a very mild in spice, comforting and satisfying curry is perfect for a cosy dinner or as a show-stopping dish for a special occasion.
- The tender potatoes and sweet cauliflowers floating in the yellowish flavourful gravy, gives you the most enticing feel to look at.
- As shown in the below pic, I served, Aloo Gobi Vegan Gravy Curry, as a side dish with Butter Garlic Naan, steamed white basmati rice.
- For extra spice, we had fresh green chillies, onion bits and lemon wedge.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe Card & Print:
Aloo Gobi Gravy Curry / Potato Cauliflower Indian Curry (Stove Top, Instant Pot Methods)
- 1 Frying pan (for stove-top method)
- 1 Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker (for IP method)
- 3 cups Aloo / Potatoes (cubes) (heaped cups)
- 3 cups Gobi / Cauliflower (big florets) (heaped cups)
- 4 tablespoons Cooking Oil
- 1½ cups Onion pieces
- 1 tablespoon Ginger Garlic (chopped/paste)
- 4 count Fresh Green Chillies
- 1½ cups Tomato pieces
- 2 teaspoons Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- as per taste Salt
- 3 teaspoons Ground Coriander / Dhaniya Powder
- ½ cups Coconut Milk
- as required Water (for cooking)
- ¾ cups Green Peas
- a handful Fresh Coriander / Cilantro Leaves (for garnish)
1cup=250ml; ¾ cup=180ml; ½cup=125ml; 1 tbsp=14ml; 1 tsp = 4ml
Prep Work (common for both methods):
- Gather all the ingredients at one place. Wash the vegetables keep everything ready.
- Slit the green chillies length wise. Peel the potatoes, dice into large cubes. Cut the cauliflower into large florets. Peel & chop the onions. Chop the tomatoes.
Stove Top Method Aloo Gobi Masala Gravy Curry: (25 mins)
- Put a suitable sauce pan on stove top under high flame, add water (3 cups), salt (1 tsp), turmeric powder (½ tsp). Bring water to boil, then add the potato cubes, cauliflower florets. Let them boil for 10 mins, switch off the flame.
- Put a wide frying pan on stove top under high flame. Pour the oil, heat it. Add the onions, fry for 3 mins, until translucent. Add all these>> tomato pieces, salt, turmeric powder, dhaniya powder/ground coriander, red chilli powder, slit green chillies.
- Mix up everything and fry for 3 mins, until the oil floats on top. Then, add all these>> coconut milk, water (1 cup), boiled cauliflower florets & potato cubes.
- Give a mix, add the frozen green peas. Let everything cook for 3 more mins. Later, switch the flame off. Add the chopped coriander leaves, mix up everything well. Done!
Instant Pot Method Aloo Gobi Gravy Curry: (10 mins)
- Switch the gadget ON, set mode to SAUTE, time to 7 mins. Add the oil, chopped onions. Let the onions fry until they become translucent.
- Next, add all these>> ginger garlic, Kashmiri red chilli powder, turmeric powder, ground coriander/dhaniya powder, salt, tomato pieces. Mix everything, fry them in sauté mode till the oil floats.
- When the sauté mode timer is off, add all these>> cauliflower florets, potato cubes, green peas, coconut milk and water (1 cup).
- Mix up everything. Close the Instant Pot lid. Set >> valve to sealing, mode to Pressure Cook, Time to 3 mins, Pressure level to HIGH.
- When the timer is done IP beeps then do a quick pressure release (QPR) after 3-4 mins. Add chopped coriander leaves and mix. Transfer the curry into a serving dish. Done!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category