Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:15 mins CookTime:15 mins Cuisine:Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
Gobi 65 is a South Indian style Indian street food. It is just a cauliflower based vegetarian variant to the most familiar Chicken-65. This Cjicken 65, was first introduced in Chennai/Madras, Southern Part of India by a restaurant owner in the year 1965. Hence, he gave this appetiser the name as 65.
Many people have a false impression that Gobi 65 / Chicken 65 are from Chinese Cuisine. But thats absolutely false. Ok then, now come along with me to make this street style starter!
Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Gobi 65 / Spicy Cauliflower 65 (Stove Top, Air Fryer)’:
To alter the size: If you would like the fries to be smaller in size, cut each floret into two. Don’t make them too small.
To blanch the florets: Instead of soaking them in hot biling water, just boil them on stove-top for 5 mins, until half cooked.
To eliminate food colour: I added the food colur to give the essence of street food style to the recipe. Avoiding it just brings the colour of the fries to yellowish.
Spice Options: You might add only Red Chilli Powder, Garam Masala Powder but eliminate Jeera Powder, Dhaniya Powder.
Under Air Fryer method: If you think the batter is sticking to the mesh, this is an option. Spread the base mesh with a layer of aluminium foil, then put the florets on the foil. Air Fry as per timings given below.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Other Appetiser Recipes here⇒ Starters / Snacks
Air Fryer recipes collection⇒ Air – Fryer Recipes
Chutney recipes collection⇒ Chutney / Pachchadi / Dip
Low Calorie recipes collection⇒ Weight Loss Food / Low Carb Recipes
- Creamy Cauliflower Vegan Soup (Instant Pot, Stove Top)
- Cauliflower, Carrots & Peas Stir Fry
- Carrot Green Peas Fry (South Indian Recipe)
- Broccoli – Carrot Stir Fry
- Broccoli & Corn Vegan Soup (Instant Pot / Stove top)
- Fresh Cauliflower Florets – 12 (large size)
- Hot Boiling Water – as required (to blanch)
- Salt – as per taste
- Turmeric Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Ginger-Garlic Paste – 1 teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Dhaniya Powder / Ground Coriander – ½ teaspoon
- Jeera Powder / Ground Cumin – ½ teaspoon
- Ground Pepper Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Garam Masala Powder – ¾ teaspoon
- Red Food Colour – a pinch
- Corn Flour – 1 tablespoon (heaped)
- Maida / Plain Flour – 2 tablespoons (heaped)
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – a handful (chopped)
- Curry Leaves – 10
- Green Chillies – 6 (slit length wise)
- Cooking Oil – 3 cups (for deep fry method)
- ” ” – 2 tablespoons (for air fryer method)
- Corn Flour
- Garam Masala Powder
- Hot Boiling Water
Step Wise Pics Procedure for ‘Gobi 65 / Spicy Cauliflower 65 (Stove Top, Air Fryer)’:
STOVE TOP METHOD OF FRYING:
AIR FRYER METHOD OF FRYING:
Important Trick to follow:
While making the batter, add 2 to 3 tablespoons of cooking oil, along with 2 tablespoons of water. This makes the batter not to stick the mesh while air-frying.
- Adjust the salt & spice as per your taste.
- The florets are to be only half boiled before using them to fry.
- If possible, don’t try to skip the addition of fried curry leaves and fried green chillies.
- Air Fryer method: See the important trick which I mentioned above too. That is, don’t forget to add the oil while making the batter itself.
- Using parchment paper / aluminium foil for the base of the air fryer, has also worked great.
- Storage: You can blanch the florets and store in fridge. By doing so, you can save the blanching time. Use them straight from the fridge for frying.
- The fries can be served even after a day, provided they are not crispy.
- The output of these, Gobi 65 / Spicy Cauliflower 65, is crispy and spicy.
- The only constraint is, they are not crispy when serving is delayed. I mean, they taste best only when eaten hot.
- Along with the Gobi 65, don’t forget to include these>> fried curry leaves, fried green chillies, salt coated lemon wedge and onion pieces.
- The right way to enjoy this appetiser in street style is with all the above accompaniments.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Gobi 65 / Spicy Cauliflower 65 (Stove Top, Air Fryer)
- Wide Mixing Bowl
- Frying pan (for stove-top method)
- Air-Fryer for air-fryer method
- 12 count Fresh Cauliflower Florets (large size)
- as required Hot Boiling Water (to blanch)
- 1 teaspoon Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ½ teaspoon Dhaniya Powder / Ground Coriander
- ½ teaspoon Jeera Powder / Ground Cumin
- ½ teaspoon Ground Pepper Powder
- ¾ teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- a pinch Red Food Colour
- as per taste Salt
- 1 tablespoon Corn Flour (heaped)
- 2 tablespoons Maida / Plain Flour (heaped)
- a handful Fresh Coriander Leaves (chopped)
- 10 count Curry Leaves
- 6 count Green Chillies (slit length wise)
- 3 cups Cooking Oil (for stove top deep fry method)
- 2 tablespoons " " (for air fryer method)
- In a wide bowl, take the cauliflower florets. Pour the hot boiling water, a teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder. Leave them to blanch for 10 to 15 mins.Later, remove the florets, and let them come to room temperature.
- In another mixing bowl, take all these>> Ginger-garlic paste, red chilli powder, red food colour, garam masala powder, ground pepper powder, jeera powder/ground cumin, dhaniya powder/ground coriander, corn flour, maida/plain flour, few chopped coriander leaves, salt, ½ teaspoon turmeric powder.Mix all the dry ingredients.
- Take the blanced florets into the mix. Coat them slightly, and put them aside.
- Add 4 to 5 tablespoons of water to the dry ingredients and make a lump free batter as shown.
STOVE TOP METHOD FRYING:
- Put a deep fry pan on stove top, under high flame. Pour the oil and let it heat to its high boiling point. Then lower the flame and gently drop each floret after dipping, coating in the batter.
- After 3-4 mins, very gently turn them to the other side until they turn golden brown in colour. Then, using a mesh ladle, take each one out onto a plate covered with kitchen tissue. Done!
AIR FRYER METHOD FRYING:
- IMPORTANT TRICK TO FOLLOW: While making the batter, add 2 to 3 tablespoons of cooking oil, along with 2 tablespoons of water. This makes the batter not to stick the mesh while air-frying.
- Brush the air-fryer mesh with oil. Dip each of the cauliflower floret in the batter, place them gently on the air-fryer mesh. Once again spray the florets with oil. Close the air-fryer.
- Set the time to 10 mins, at a temperature of 200C / 390F. Pause at this stage, reverse each floret, spray a bit of oil, air fry again for 10 mins more. Later, remove gently and serve. Done!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category