Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:15 mins CookTime:15 mins Cuisine:Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
Roti, Paratha, Naan, Chapathi, Kulcha are some of the well known Indian style flatbreads which fall under Main course of any Indian Meal platter.
Yes, excluding the South India, these are the staple food of North, East and Western India.
Table of Contents:
- What is Aloo Paratha / Potato Stuffed Flatbread
- Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Aloo Paratha / Potato Stuffed Flatbread’:
- How to store, ‘Aloo Paratha / Potato Stuffed Flatbread’:
- How to serve, ‘Aloo Paratha / Potato Stuffed Flatbread’:
- Other recipes from my blog:
- Step Wise Pics Procedure for ‘Aloo Paratha / Potato Stuffed Flatbread’:
- Stove Top Method to BOIL POTATOES:
- Instant Pot Method to BOIL POTATOES:
- To Prepare the GREEN PASTE:
- To make the DOUGH:
- To Prepare the STUFFING:
- To roll into PARATHA:
- To Fry the Paratha on Tawa/Pan:
- Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
- Recipe Card & Print:
What is ‘Aloo Paratha / Potato Stuffed Flatbread’:
Aloo means Potato and Paratha means stuffed flatbread in Hindi. To be more precise, it is originated in the Indian state of Punjab.
Aloo Paratha is the most common breakfast recipe across North & Western India. This high calorie food is absolutely suitable for the saying, ‘Eat your breakfast King size’.
Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Aloo Paratha / Potato Stuffed Flatbread’:
To eliminate adding greens, As an option, you might eliminate adding mint leaves (or) coriander leaves. But try to add at least one of them. They give a fresh aroma to the parathas.
Instead of making balls of potato stuffing, you might even mix the mashed potatoes, green paste to the dough while kneading itself. This is not an authentic way to make aloo parathas but just an alternate way to adopt when in hurry.
To eliminate butter: I have used butter to pan fry the paratha, but to make it Vegan / Plant Based, you might use cooking oil. It works great.
How to store, ‘Aloo Paratha / Potato Stuffed Flatbread’:
Aloo Paratha / Potato Stuffed Indian Flatbread, stays good for days together when put in freezer in an air-tight container. Take them out re-heat on the tawa for again 2-3 mins.
If you prefer to store the paratha(s) in the freezer, see that each of them is separated with baking paper, so that they do not stick.
Other options for prep work are, make the green paste well before, transfer into an air tight container and store it in fridge for up to 3 days.
Boil, peel, mash the potatoes and store it in fridge for up to 4 days. Use them as it is just before making the parathas.
How to serve, ‘Aloo Paratha / Potato Stuffed Indian Flatbread’:
The best thing about Aloo paratha is it can be had as it is, without any side or dip. Just roll it in for kids, and they can have it on the go.
It is suitable not just for breakfast but even with lunch time meal platter (or) afternoon tea (or) even with dinner.
Other recipes from my blog:
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Appetiser recipes collection⇒ Starters / Snacks
Salad recipes collection⇒ Salads Collection
Related Posts with ‘POTATO’:
- Aloo / Potato Korma (Instant Pot, Stove Top)
- Potato Mash Curry /Aloo Tadka / Bangaladumpa Koora (Stove Top, Instant Pot)
- Aloo Methi Sabzi / Potato & Fenugreek Fry (Stove Top, Instant Pot)
- Aloo Matar Masala / Potato Green Peas Gravy Curry
- Potato-Capsicum Dry Curry / Aloo-Shimla Mirchi Sukhi Sabzi
Ingredients: (8 count)
- Whole Wheat Flour / Chapathi Aata – 3 cups
- Hot Water – 1½ cups
- Cooking Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Potato – 2 (large size)
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – a handful
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Fresh Mint Leaves – a handful
- Jeera Powder / Ground Cumin – ½ teaspoon
- Garam Masala Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Lemon Juice – 1 tablespoon (optional)
- Fresh Coriander Leaves
- Fresh Mint Leaves
Step Wise Pics Procedure for ‘Aloo Paratha / Potato Stuffed Indian Flatbread’:
Stove Top Method to BOIL POTATOES:
Instant Pot Method to BOIL POTATOES:
To Prepare the GREEN PASTE:
To make the DOUGH:
To Prepare the STUFFING:
To roll into PARATHA:
To Fry the Paratha on Tawa/Pan:
- I have boiled 5 potatoes as shown in the pics above, but used only 2 for this recipe. Mashed the rest of the potatoes to store in fridge for later use.
- Adjust the salt & spice as per your taste.
- While making the green paste, DO NOT add any water, the wetness released from herbs & salt is enough for the paste. If not the paste would be watery.
- Always remember that the potato stuffing balls are to be either same size as that of the dough ball (or) bit larger but not small.
- Be very gently while rolling the paratha after filling with the stuffing, so that the stuffing doesn’t pop out.
- To know that the paratha is perfectly fried, you need to check for the black spots.
- These, Aloo Paratha / Potato Stuffed Flatbread, tasted perfectly well, even on their own, without any dip / side too.
- We had them with Carrot Raita / Carrot & Yogurt Dip as a side and along with simple salad of cucumber, tomato, lemon wedges, green chilli.
- Even kids had 2 each for their breakfast, they just loved them!
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe Card & Print:
Aloo Paratha / Potato Stuffed Flatbread
- Sauce Pan / Vessel (for stove-top method)
- Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker (for IP method)
- Food processor (for making dough)
- 3 cups Whole Wheat Flour / Chapathi Aata
- 1½ cups Hot Water
- 2 tablespoons Cooking Oil
- 2 count Potato (large size)
- a handful Fresh Coriander Leaves
- a handful Fresh Mint Leaves
- 1 inch piece Ginger
- ½ teaspoon Jeera Powder / Ground Cumin
- ½ teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- as per taste Salt
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice (optional)
STOVE TOP METHOD TO BOIL POTATOES:
- Into a sauce pan, add 4 cups of water, drop the potatoes, place the lid on, put the vessel on stove top under high flame for 15-20 mins. Switch the flame OFF, strain the hot water, run cold water over them and peel the skin off.
INSTANT POT METHOD TO BOIL POTATOES:
- Pour 2 cups of water into the inner pot. Place all the washed potatoes into a steel vessel and put the vessel on the steel stand that fits in the Instant pot vessel.Close the IP lid & valve. Set to PRESSURE COOK mode, for 5 mins under HIGH PRESSURE.Later, Release the pressure naturally (NPR). This takes 10 more mins approximately. Put the boiled potatoes in cold water, peel the skin.
TO MAKE THE GREEN PASTE:
- Without adding any water, in a blender jar / mixie jar, grind all these into fine paste>> fresh mint leaves, fresh coriander leaves, ginger pieces, green chillies, garam masala, jeera powder/ground cumin, little salt.
TO MAKE THE DOUGH:
- Into the food processor, add the whole wheat flour / chapathi aata, salt, turmeric powder and 2 tablespoons of oil.
TO PREPARE THE STUFFING & ROLLS:
- Mash the potatoes perfectly without any lumps. Take them into a bowl, add the green paste,salt, lemon juice. Mix up everything well. Divide the stuffing into small balls as shown. Divide the dough into equal parts, make into small balls.
TO ROLL THE PARATHA:
- Take each of the dough ball, using your fingers spread it into palm size flat circle, place the stuffing ball inside. Gently using your fingers, close from all sides. Repeat the same for all the dough balls. See pics.
- Using a rolling pin, roll each one, very gently, across a flat surface, into a round shaped roti / tortilla. Apply dry flour in between, when its sticky.
TO FRY THE PARATHA ON TAWA / PAN:
- Put a griddle on stove top under high flame. When its hot, gently transfer this flatbread / paratha onto it.
- Spread tablespoon of oil / butter throughout. Let it cook on both sides, until you get brown spots here and there. Then, transfer each into a serving dish. Repeat the same for other flattened dough. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category