Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10 mins CookTime: Given Below Cuisine: Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
I made this curry over the course of two days, the first day I cooked it on the stove-top, while the next day I prepared it again but with the Instant Pot.
Cooking such one-pot recipes has become very easier in an Instant Pot, as it cuts down the cooking time to half. It takes a basic 10 minutes of cooking and preparation!
But, certainly, there sure are few other recipes, which are best cooked only on stove-top.
Because of the current situation, as I know, many of you might be having very few vegetables in hand. So, just to assure you, this is a recipe requiring only the primary vegetables, potato & onion, and the basic spices.
My kids enjoyed this curry so much, that after lunch on first day they said, “Amma, this curry is delicious! Can we have it again tomorrow?” I was more than happy to oblige! 🙂 And, my husband loved this new recipe of mine.
Table of Contents:
- Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Aloo Korma / Potato Kurma (Instant Pot / Stove Top)’:
- How to serve, ‘Aloo Kurma Sabzi / Potato Korma Curry’:
- Other recipes from my blog:
- Step wise pics Procedure ‘Aloo / Potato Korma (Instant pot / Stove top)’:
- Prep Work (for both methods) :
- Stove Top Method Cooking (20 mins)
- Instant Pot Method Cooking: (10 mins)
- Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
- Recipe Card & Print:
Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Aloo Korma / Potato Kurma (Instant Pot / Stove Top)’:
To replace peanuts: In case you are allergic to peanuts, just use sesame seeds instead.
Alternate method using cooked potatoes: After preparing the gravy in the recipe, add the boiled potatoes and put on flame for just 3-4 mins. (stove-top)
Using Skinned Whole Baby Potatoes: They work great for this recipe. It saves time, no need to peel and cut. Just use them as whole potatoes.
To thicken the gravy: If you think the curry/stew turned watery, add 1 tbsp of chickpea flour / besan and mix thoroughly.
Using Stove-top pressure cooker: Follow the entire recipe just like Instant-Pot method given below, but let it cook for 3 whistles on high flame.
How to serve, ‘Aloo Kurma Sabzi / Potato Korma Curry’:
Aloo / Potato Korma, comes next in order, in the series of Indian Gravy Curry recipes, after the basic Aloo-Matar Masala / Potato-Peas Gravy Curry.
Korma is a curry suitable as a side dish. Basically with Indian style roti, chapati, naan, phulka, khlucha.
It goes great along with plain steamed rice, any pulav, biryani, fried rice.
See the thali / meal platter below, where I served this Aloo Korma as a side dish in the 3 course meal. Full Platter details, recipes⇒ Bhojanam / Thali / Platter # 14
Other recipes from my blog:
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Curry recipes collection here⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
Daily meal platters collection⇒ Bhojanam / Thali / Meal Platter
Instant Pot recipes collection⇒ Instant Pot / Electric Pressure Cooker Recipes
Related Posts with ‘POTATO’:
- Aloo Methi Sabzi / Potato & Fenugreek Fry (Instant Pot, Stove Top)
- Easy Aloo Paratha / Potato Stuffed Flatbread
- Aloo Matar Masala / Potato Green Peas Gravy Curry
- Potato Salad with Parsley (Instant Pot, Stove Top)
- Spicy Baby Potato Roast (Instant Pot / Stove Top)
- Potato Wedges – Rosemary (Air-Fryer & Oven)
Follow me on⇒ Facebook / Pinterest / YouTube / Instagram
- Potatoes – 4 (medium size)
- Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Onions – 1 (large size)
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Green Chillies – 4
- Turmeric Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Desiccated Coconut / Dry coconut Powder – ½ cup
- Roasted Peanut Powder – ½ cup
- Salt – as per taste
- Red Chilli Powder – 1½ teaspoons
- Garam Masala Powder – 1½ teaspoons
- Curd / Plain Yogurt – ½ cup
- Water – as required
- Hot water – 2 cups
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – 1 tablespoon (chopped)
- Desiccated Coconut
- Roasted Peanut Powder
- Curd / Plain Yogurt
Step wise pics Procedure ‘Aloo / Potato Korma (Instant pot / Stove top)‘:
Prep Work (for both methods) :
Take the desiccated coconut and roasted peanut powder into 2 separate bowls. Fill them each with 1 cup of hot water. Set aside for 10 mins.
Peel & chop the onions, finely chop the ginger and garlic (optional) or use ginger-garlic paste.
Slit the green chillies length wise. Wash & peel the potatoes.
Dice into cubes and place in a bowl of water, to stop from getting oxidised.
Stove Top Method Cooking (20 mins)
Instant Pot Method Cooking: (10 mins)
- Making Roasted Peanut Powder: Dry roast ½ cup of raw unsalted peanuts in a frying pan until they turn brown. Blend them into powder when they cool down completely.
- Adjust the salt & spice as per your taste.
- After adding the soaked desiccated coconut & roasted peanut powder, Keep stirring continuously, that they wouldn’t stick to the bottom.
- If you think the curry/stew turned watery, add 1 tbsp of chickpea flour / besan and mix thoroughly.
- For instant pot method, keep in mind to keep stirring continuously, until you set the pressure cook mode.
- Storage: Transfer it into an air-tight container & store it in fridge for up to 3 -4 days.
- The, Aloo / Potato Korma (instant pot / stove top), curry had lovely bright yellow colour, is mild in spice and full of flavour.
- This is a Vegetarian, gluten free, family friendly, easy to make and crowd- pleasing side dish recipe.
- We had this curry as a side with homemade chapati as shown.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe Card & Print:
Aloo / Potato Korma (Instant Pot, Stove Top)
- 2 Small Containers (to soak the powders)
- 1 Frying pan (for stove-top method)
- 1 Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker
- 4 count Potatoes (medium size)
- 3 tablespoons Cooking Oil
- 1 count Onions (large size)
- 1 inch piece Ginger
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 4 count Green Chillies
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ½ cup Desiccated Coconut / Dry Coconut Powder
- ½ cup Roasted Peanut Powder
- as per taste Salt
- 1½ teaspoons Red Chilli Powder
- 1½ teaspoons Garam Masala Powder
- ½ cup Curd / Plain Yogurt
- as required Water
- 2 cups Hot water
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Coriander Leaves (chopped)
PREP WORK (for both methods):
- Take the desiccated coconut and roasted peanut powder into 2 separate bowls. Fill them each with 1 cup of hot water. Set aside for 10 mins.
- Peel & chop the onions, finely chop the ginger and garlic. Slit the green chillies length wise. Wash & peel the potatoes. Dice into cubes and place in a bowl of water, to stop from oxidation.
STOVE TOP METHOD COOKING (time:20 mins)
- Put a frying pan on stove top under medium flame, add oil, chopped onion pieces, ginger-garlic paste / finely chopped ginger-garlic.
- Let the onions become transparent, change the flame to LOW.Then add the soaked desiccated coconut & roasted peanut powder along with water. Mix everything.
- Add the red chilli powder, salt, garam masala powder and ½ cup of water. Mix everything thoroughly.
- Add all the diced potatoes, curd / yogurt. Closed the lid, let cook.
- After 5 mins, check its not stick to the bottom, add more 1/4 th cup of water if needed.
- Cook for 5 to 7 mins more / until the potatoes soften. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Done!!
INSTANT POT METHOD COOKING (time:10 mins)
- Switch the INSTANT POT on, set to SAUTE mode for 5 mins. Add oil, finely chopped onion, chopped ginger-garlic / ginger-garlic paste.
- Let the onions become transparent. When the Instant Pot BEEPS, then add the soaked desiccated coconut & roasted peanut powder along with water. Mix everything.
- Add the red chilli powder, salt & garam masala powder.Mix everything thoroughly.
- Immediately, Add the diced potatoes, curd / yogurt and ½ cup of water. Give a mix, close the lid & set the valve to SEALING position.Set to PRESSURE COOK mode, for 6 mins under HIGH PRESSURE.
- Later when the INSTANT POT beeps, switch off the gadget. Release the pressure naturally (NPR). Give a thorough mix.
- Transfer into a serving bowl, garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Done!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category