Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10 mins CookTime:15 mins Cuisine:Indian
There are many varieties of Kale. This is one of those which I used in this recipe.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF KALE
Kale has very good health benefits. Most importantly, it is rich in Vitamin C, High in Fiber, helps to reduce Cholestrol, Rich in Iron. (info from internet).
In this, Chana Saag Sukhi Sabzi / Kale & Lentils Stir Fry, I have included Chana Dal / Split Yellow Lentils which adds the required protein to pair up with the benefits of Kale. Just include some Carbs like rice / roti / bread / potato, to make a complete healthy meal.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
My Curry Collection here⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
Dal Recipes Collection⇒ Dal / Pappu / Lentil Stew
Daily Meal Platters collection⇒ Bhojanam / Thali / Meal Platter
- Mamidikaya Palakoora Pappu / Raw Mango Spinach Dal (Instant Pot, Stove Top)
- Rajma – Palak Masala / Red Kidney Beans – Spinach Curry
Follow me on⇒ Facebook / Pinterest / YouTube / Instagram
- Kale / Saag – 2 bunches
- Chana Dal – 1 cup
- Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Onion – 1 medium size (optional)
- Garlic – 4 cloves (optional)
- Salt – as per taste
- Turmeric Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Green Chillies – 5
- Red Chilli Powder / Paprika / Kaaram – 1 teaspoon
- Dhaniya / Coriander Seeds Powder – 2 teaspoons
- Water – as required
Ingredients for Tempering:
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Mustard Seeds / Aavalu – ½ teaspoon
- Dry Red Chillies – 3
- Dhaniya / Coriander Seeds Powder
- Mustard Seeds / Aavalu
Step wise pics Procedure for Chana Saag Sukhi Sabzi / Kale & Lentils Stir Fry:
- Wash the chana dal / lentils twice and soak them in water up to 20 mins.
- Take the leafy inches wash them thoroughly, and finely chop them. Keep aside.
- Slit the green chillies length wise, finely chop the onion & garlic (optional).
- Put a frying pan on stove top under medium flame.
- Add the oil, let it heat and then add all the ‘Ingredients for Tempering’ into the pan.
- When they are sauteed add the slit green chillies, chopped onions (optional) and garlic (optional).
- Saute everything until they soften.
- Add the chopped greens and salt to the pan.
- Give a stir, add ½ cup of water, cover with lid and steam cook for 5 mins.
- Then, add the soaked chana dal / lentils (after draining the water).
- Cover and cook for 10 more minutes, for the dal / lentils to cook.
- Take the lid off, add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder and dhaniya / coriander powder, give a thorough mix.
- Let it be without lid for 2-3 mins.
- Switch the flame off, transfer the content into a serving bowl. Done! Chana-Saag / Kale & Lentils stir fry garnished with chopped ginger and green chillies
- You can use hot water to soak the dal / lentils to make it faster.
- Instead of Kale, any other greens can be used in the same recipe and measurements.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- You can use curry powder instead of dhaniya / coriander powder.
- Onions and Garlic do add flavour and gives a different taste altogether.
- Or else, you can even avoid them .
- This stir fry stays good up to a day at room temperature, and can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- This, Chana-Saag Sukhi Sabzi / Mustard Greens / Kale & Lentils Stir Fry, tastes very mild in spice, and has to be accompanied by any spicy condiment in case you prefer to have spicy food.
- We had it with steamed white rice and had left overs with roti / tortillas the next day , which tasted good with both.
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category