Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10 mins CookingTime:15 mins Cuisine:Indian
There are many varieties of Kale. This is one of those which I used in this recipe. Kale has very good health benefits. Most importantly, it is rich in Vitamin C, High in Fiber, helps to reduce Cholestrol, Rich in Iron. (info from internet).
Here, I have included Chana Dal / Split Yellow Lentils which adds the required protein to pair up with the benefits of Kale. Just include some Carbs like rice / roti / bread / potato, to make a complete healthy meal.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips which I mentioned at the end.
My Curry Collection here⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
- Kale / Saag – 2 bunches
- Chana Dal – 1 cup
- Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Onion – 1 medium size (optional)
- Garlic – 4 cloves (optional)
- Salt – as per taste
- Turmeric Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Green Chillies – 5
- Red Chilli Powder / Paprika / Kaaram – 1 teaspoon
- Dhaniya / Coriander Seeds Powder – 2 teaspoons
- Water – as required
Ingredients for Tempering:
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Mustard Seeds / Aavalu – ½ teaspoon
- Dry Red Chillies – 3
- Dhaniya / Coriander Seeds Powder
- Mustard Seeds / Aavalu
- Wash the chana dal / lentils twice and soak them in water upto 20 mins.
- Take the leafy unches wash them thouroughly, and finely chop them. Keep aside.
- Slit the green chillies lenth wise.
- In case using onion & garlic, chop them both finely.
- Put a frying pan on stovetop under medium flame.
- Add the oil, let it heat and then add all the ‘Ingredients for Tempering’ into the pan.
- When they are sauteed add the slit green chillies, chopped onions(optioanl) and garlic (optional).
- Sautee everything until they soften.
- Add the chopped greens and salt to the pan.
- Give a stir, add ½ cup of water, cover with lid and steam cook for 5 mins.
- Then, add the soaked chana dal / lentils (after draining the water).
- Cover and cook for 10 more minutes, for the dal / lentils to cook.
- Take the lid off, add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder and dhaniya / coriander powder, give a thorough mix.
- Let it be without lid for 2-3 mins.
- Switch the flame off, transfer the content into a serving bowl. Done!
- You can use hot water to soak the dal / lentils to make it faster.
- Instead of Kale, any other greens can be used in the same recipe and measurements.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- You can use curry powder instead of dhaniya / coriander powder.
- Onions and Garlic do add flavour and gives a different taste altogether.
- Or else, you can even avoid them .
- This stir fry stays good upto a day at room temperature, and can be stored in the fridge for upto 3 days.
- This stir fry tastes very mild in spice, and has to be accompanied by any spicy condiment in case you prefer to have spicy food.
- We had it with steamed white rice and had left overs with roti / tortillas the next day , which tasted good with both.
You can Pinit here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category