Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10 mins CookTime:15-20 mins Cuisine:Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
Matar Paneer Sabzi is a North Indian style verstaile curry recipe, where Matar means Green peas, Paneer means Indian Cottage Cheese and Sabzi means Curry.
Just like Chana Masala Sabzi / Chickpeas Curry, this Matar Paneer Sabzi is also one among the top most Curry recipes available in any Indian restaurants. Its indefinitely liked by anybody who tastes it.
Being a mild in spice curry its equally enjoyed by kids & adults too. This, Matar Paneer / Mutter Paneer Curry, is my kids favourite curry recipe, as they generally love Paneer / cheese based dishes.
Table of Contents:
- Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Matar Paneer / Mutter Paneer Curry’:
- How to serve, ‘Matar Paneer Sabzi / Green Peas – Cottage Cheese Curry’:
- Full Video from my You Tube Channel:
- Other recipes from my blog:
- Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Matar Paneer / Green Peas & Paneer Curry’:
- Stove Top Method Matar Paneer:
- Instant Pot Method Matar Paneer:
- Ingredients on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
- Recipe Card & Print:
Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Matar Paneer / Mutter Paneer Curry’:
To Deep fry the Paneer: Some people prefer to deep fry the paneer pieces, but to avoid usage of oil quantity, I always go for shallow frying only.
The size of the paneer pieces can be made even bigger and of a different shape (rectangle, diamond) too.
You can absolutely skip to fry the paneer pieces. Just miss that step, use them as it is as per the recipe.
Instead of Whole Almonds: Though, I have used whole almonds in the recipe. Other option would be to soak the almonds for 1 hrs in hot water, peel the skin and use it. This avoids the dark colour to the curry.
Whole cashew nuts can be used in the place of almonds.
Adding ¼ cup more of green peas, is also fine, but add it at the end just before switching the flame off. Just to give a bright green colour to the entire dish.
Vegan options: Beyond doubt, Paneer can be replaced with Tofu. It gives the same look and taste just like the curry made with Paneer.
How to serve, ‘Matar Paneer Sabzi / Green Peas – Cottage Cheese Curry’:
Matar Paneer Sabzi is best enjoyed as a side with Indian style breads like Butter Naan, Paratha, Roti, Phulka, Kulcha, etc.
Next best option would be to serve as a side for Indian rice recipes like these:
- Methi Pulao / Rice with Fenugreek Leaves
- Spinach & Chickpeas Pulao Rice (South Indian style)
- Green Moong Beans (Sprouts) Pulao (Instant Pot / Stove top)
- Spring Onion Pulao / Salad Onion Rice
- Jeera Pulao / Cumin Rice
- Easy Vegan Indian Fried Rice
Full Video from my You Tube Channel:
Other recipes from my blog:
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker recipes collection here⇒ Electric Pressure Cooker / Instant Pot Recipes
Curry Recipes Collection⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
Daily Meal Platters collection⇒ Bhojanam / Thali / Meal Platter
Related Posts with ‘GREEN PEAS’:
- Vegan Mayo & Green Peas Spicy Sandwich
- Cauliflower, Carrots & Peas Stir Fry
- Aloo-Matar Masala / Potato-Peas Gravy Curry
- Brinjal & Green Peas Curry / Vankaya – Bataani Koora
Follow me on⇒ Facebook / Pinterest / YouTube / Instagram
- Paneer / Indian Cottage Cheese – 250 gms / 20 pieces
- Green Peas – 1 cup (frozen / fresh)
- Cooking Oil – 6 tablespoons
- Whole Almonds / Badam – 20 count
- Tomatoes – 3 large size (chopped)
- Onions – 2 medium size (chopped)
- Chopped Ginger – 1 tablespoon
- Fresh Green Chillies – 4 (slit length wise)
- Turmeric Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Bay leaves – 3
- Jeera / Whole Cumin Seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder – 1½ teaspoon
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Ground Coriander / Dhaniya Powder – 1½ teaspoon
- Water – as required
- Salt – as per taste
- Kasuri Methi – 1 tablespoon
- Whole Almonds / Badam
- Kasuri Methi
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Matar Paneer / Green Peas & Paneer Curry’:
Stove Top Method Matar Paneer:
Instant Pot Method Matar Paneer:
- If using frozen paneer, take the paneer slab onto a microwave safe plate, microwave it for 3-4 mins. Once cooled, cut them into pieces and use.
- While frying the paneer, be extremely careful. There are high chances of hot oil spills, so shallow fry only under low flame and be gentle to turn them around.
- Garlic is generally not preferable in paneer based dishes, hence I avoided.
- Adjust the salt & spice as per your taste.
- With Stove-top pressure cooker Method: Follow the entire recipe just like Instant-Pot method given above, but let it cook for only 1 whistle on high flame.
- I have frozen green peas directly even without thawing / defrosting.
- Storage: Transfer this curry into an air-tight container and store it in fridge for up to a week. You need not thaw, just reheat before serving.
- The aroma of the masala, paneer & kasuri methi are predominantly sensed as we are served the curry.
- This, Matar Paneer Sabzi / Mutter Paneer Curry, turned out mild is spice. Hence, happily received & enjoyed by kids as well.
- The gravy is quite thick, the paneer pieces were tender, succulent and seem to have well absorbed the masala.
Ingredients on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe Card & Print:
Matar Paneer / Green Peas & Paneer Curry
- Frying pan (for stove-top method)
- Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker (for IP method)
- Electric Hand Blender/Processor/Blender.
- 250 gms Paneer / Indian Cottage Cheese 20 pieces
- 1 cup Green Peas (frozen / fresh)
- 6 tablespoons Cooking Oil
- 20 count Whole Almonds / Badam
- 3 count Tomatoes (large size) (chopped)
- 2 count Onions (medium size) (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Chopped Ginger
- 4 count Fresh Green Chillies (slit length wise)
- 3 count Bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Jeera / Whole Cumin Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1½ teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1½ teaspoon Ground Coriander / Dhaniya Powder
- as required Water
- as per taste Salt
- 1 tablespoon Kasuri Methi
STOVE TOP METHOD:
- Put a frying pan on stovetop, add 2 tablespoons of oil. Let it heat under medium flame. Gently drop the paneer cubes, fry them on both sides untilt hey turn golden brown.Take them into a separate plate.
- In the same pan, add 1 more tablespoon of oil and all these>> chopped onions, chopped ginger, garlic, chopped tomatoes, whole almonds, turmeric powder, slit green chillies. Saute while stirring until the onions turn soft.
- Prepare a mix in a small bowl, by adding>> ½ cup water, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala powder,dhaniya/corinader powder. Put the pan back on stove under medium flame, add 2 tablespoons of oil, jeera/cumin seeds. bay leaves and the liquid spice mix.
- Now to the pan, add all these >>>> blended puree, salt, green peas, fried paneer,1 cup of water. Give a gentle mix, close the lid, change the flame to low. Let it cook, for 10 mins.
- Later open the lid, let it be on flame until the curry reaches your desired consistency. Switch the flame off, garnish with Kasuri methi. Done!
INSTANT POT METHOD:
- Switch the gadget ON, set the mode to SAUTE, for 5 mins. Add 2 tablespoons of oil. Gently drop the paneer cubes, fry them on both sides until they turn golden brown.Take them into a separate plate.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil, let it heat. Then, add>> chopped onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, slit green chillies and whole almonds.Saute them by stirring in between, until the onions soften.
- Later, press the CANCEL button, switch OFF the gadget. Using an electric hand blender, blend everything into fine puree as shown.
- Prepare a mix in a small bowl, by adding>> ½ cup water, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, dhaniya / coriander powder. Add the jeera / whole cumin seeds. bay leaves and the liquid spice mix. Give a mix.
- Into the pot, add all these >>>> salt, green peas, fried paneer and 1 cup of water. Give a gentle mix, close the lid and valve to SEALING. Set the MODE to PRESSURE COOK, under HIGH PRESSURE for 3 mins.
- Later SWITCH OFF the gadget. Go for QUICK RELEASE after 3 mins. Garnish with kasuri methi. Done!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category