Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10 mins CookTime:15-20 mins Cuisine:Indian
Matar Paneer Sabzi is a North Indian style verstaile curry recipe, where Matar means Green peas, Paneer means Indian Cottage Cheese and Sabzi means Curry.
Just like Chana Masala Sabzi / Chickpeas Curry, this Matar Paneer Sabzi is also one among the top most Curry recipes available in any Indian restaurants. Its indefinitely liked by anybody who tastes it.
Being a mild in spice curry its equally enjoyed by kids & adults too. This is my kids favourite curry recipe, as they generally love Paneer / cheese based dishes.
Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Matar Paneer / Green Peas & Paneer Curry’:
Some people prefer to deep fry the paneer pieces, but to avoid usage of oil quantity, I always go for shallow frying only.
The size of the paneer pieces can be made even bigger and of a different shape (rectangle, diamond) too.
You can absolutely skip to fry the paneer pieces. Just miss that step, use them as it is as per the recipe.
Though, I have used whole almonds in the recipe. Other option would be to soak the almonds for 1 hrs in hot water, peel the skin and use it. This avoids the dark colour to the curry.
Whole cashew nuts can be used in the place of almonds.
Adding ¼ cup more of green peas, is also fine, but add it at the end just before switching the flame off. Just to give a bright green colour to the entire dish.
Vegan options: Beyond doubt, Paneer can be replaced with Tofu. It gives the same look and taste just like the curry made with Paneer.
How to serve, ‘Matar Paneer Sabzi / Green Peas – Cottage Cheese Curry’:
Matar Paneer Sabzi is best enjoyed as a side with Indian style breads like Butter Naan, Paratha, Roti, Phulka, Kulcha, etc.
Next best option would be to serve as a side for Indian rice recipes like these:
- Methi Pulao / Rice with Fenugreek Leaves
- Spinach & Chickpeas Pulao Rice (South Indian style)
- Green Moong Beans (Sprouts) Pulao (Instant Pot / Stove top)
- Spring Onion Pulao / Salad Onion Rice
- Jeera Pulao / Cumin Rice
- Easy Vegan Indian Fried Rice
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker recipes collection here⇒ Electric Pressure Cooker / Instant Pot Recipes
Curry Recipes Collection⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
Daily Meal Platters collection⇒ Bhojanam / Thali / Meal Platter
Related Posts with ‘GREEN PEAS’:
- Vegan Mayo & Green Peas Spicy Sandwich
- Cauliflower, Carrots & Peas Stir Fry
- Aloo-Matar Masala / Potato-Peas Gravy Curry
- Brinjal & Green Peas Curry / Vankaya – Bataani Koora
- Paneer / Indian Cottage Cheese – 250 gms / 20 pieces
- Green Peas – 1 cup (frozen / fresh)
- Cooking Oil – 6 tablespoons
- Whole Almonds / Badam – 20 count
- Tomatoes – 3 large size (chopped)
- Onions – 2 medium size (chopped)
- Chopped Ginger – 1 tablespoon
- Fresh Green Chillies – 4 (slit length wise)
- Turmeric Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Bay leaves – 3
- Jeera / Whole Cumin Seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder – 1½ teaspoon
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Ground Coriander / Dhaniya Powder – 1½ teaspoon
- Water – as required
- Salt – as per taste
- Kasuri Methi – 1 tablespoon
- Whole Almonds / Badam
- Kasuri Methi
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Matar Paneer / Green Peas & Paneer Curry’:
STOVE TOP METHOD:
INSTANT POT METHOD:
- If using frozen paneer, take the paneer slab onto a microwave safe plate, microwave it for 3-4 mins.Once cooled, cut them into pieces and use.
- While frying the paneer, be extremely careful. There are high chances of hot oil spills, so shallow fry only under low flame and be gentle to turn them around.
- Garlic is generally not preferable in paneer based dishes, hence I avoided.
- Adjust the salt & spice as per your taste.
- With Stove-top pressure cooker Method: Follow the entire recipe just like Instant-Pot method given above, but let it cook for only 1 whistle on high flame.
- I have frozen green peas directly even wihout thawing / defrosting.
- Storage: Transfer this curry into an air-tight container and store it in fridge for up to a week. You need not thaw, just reheat before serving.
- The aroma of the masala, paneer & kasuri methi are predominantly sensed as we are served the curry.
- This, Matar Paneer Sabzi / Mutter Paneer Curry, turned out mild is spice. Hence, happily received & enjoyed by kids as well.
- The gravy is quite thick, the paneer pieces were tender, succulent and seem to have well absorbed the masala.
Ingredients on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Matar Paneer / Green Peas & Paneer Curry
- Frying pan (for stove-top method)
- Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker (for IP method)
- Electric Hand Blender/Processor/Blender.
- 250 gms Paneer / Indian Cottage Cheese 20 pieces
- 1 cup Green Peas (frozen / fresh)
- 6 tablespoons Cooking Oil
- 20 count Whole Almonds / Badam
- 3 count Tomatoes (large size) (chopped)
- 2 count Onions (medium size) (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Chopped Ginger
- 4 count Fresh Green Chillies (slit length wise)
- 3 count Bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Jeera / Whole Cumin Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1½ teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1½ teaspoon Ground Coriander / Dhaniya Powder
- as required Water
- as per taste Salt
- 1 tablespoon Kasuri Methi
STOVE TOP METHOD:
- Put a frying pan on stovetop, add 2 tablespoons of oil. Let it heat under medium flame. Gently drop the paneer cubes, fry them on both sides untilt hey turn golden brown.Take them into a separate plate.
- In the same pan, add 1 more tablespoon of oil and all these>> chopped onions, chopped ginger, garlic, chopped tomatoes, whole almonds, turmeric powder, slit green chillies. Saute while stirring until the onions turn soft.
- Prepare a mix in a small bowl, by adding>> ½ cup water, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala powder,dhaniya/corinader powder. Put the pan back on stove under medium flame, add 2 tablespoons of oil, jeera/cumin seeds. bay leaves and the liquid spice mix.
- Now to the pan, add all these >>>> blended puree, salt, green peas, fried paneer,1 cup of water. Give a gentle mix, close the lid, change the flame to low. Let it cook, for 10 mins.
- Later open the lid, let it be on flame until the curry reaches your desired consistency. Switch the flame off, garnish with Kasuri methi. Done!
INSTANT POT METHOD:
- Switch the gadget ON, set the mode to SAUTE, for 5 mins. Add 2 tablespoons of oil. Gently drop the paneer cubes, fry them on both sides until they turn golden brown.Take them into a separate plate.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil, let it heat. Then, add>> chopped onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, slit green chillies and whole almonds.Saute them by stirring in between, until the onions soften.
- Later, press the CANCEL button, switch OFF the gadget. Using an electric hand blender, blend everything into fine puree as shown.
- Prepare a mix in a small bowl, by adding>> ½ cup water, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, dhaniya / coriander powder. Add the jeera / whole cumin seeds. bay leaves and the liquid spice mix. Give a mix.
- Into the pot, add all these >>>> salt, green peas, fried paneer and 1 cup of water. Give a gentle mix, close the lid and valve to SEALING. Set the MODE to PRESSURE COOK, under HIGH PRESSURE for 3 mins.
- Later SWITCH OFF the gadget. Go for QUICK RELEASE after 3 mins. Garnish with kasuri methi. Done!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category