Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:20 mins Cook Time: Given Below Cuisine: Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
Jeera pulao / Cumin rice recipe is a one pot, simple & quick to cook because of its very few ingredients. It can surely be the main course of any platter. Moreover it’s purely Vegan + Gluten free too.
Even though it doesn’t have any veggie, yet, this Jeera pulao / Cumin rice completely fills the tummy with right nutrients. We had it with Carrot Raita / Carrot – Yogurt Dip while any curry/sauce can be served along.
I have given instructions & step wise pics for stove-top, rice cooker and instant-pot methods of the same recipe. Just scroll down!!
Table of Contents:
- Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Jeera Pulao / Cumin Rice’:
- Health Benefits of ‘Jeera Pulao / Cumin Rice’:
- How to serve, ‘Jeera Rice / Indian Cumin Pulao Rice’:
- Other recipes from my blog:
- Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Jeera Pulao / Cumin Rice (Stove Top, Instant Pot Methods)’:
- Prep Work (common for both methods):
- Stove Top Method Jeera Rice (15 mins):
- Instant Pot Method Jeera Rice (10 mins):
- Short Video Clip:
- Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
- Recipe Card & Print:
Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Jeera Pulao / Cumin Rice’:
Add garlic: Along with ginger, you can add garlic too which I avoided. Ginger-Garlic paste can also be used.
To eliminate Jeera powder: As we are already adding whole cumin/jeera, you can skip adding jeera / cumin powder.
Health Benefits of ‘Jeera Pulao / Cumin Rice’:
Cumin / Jeera, has many health benefits like Aids Digestion, Boosts Immune System, Treats Respiratory Disorders, Promotes Skin Health, Treats Insomnia, Prevents Diabetes, has antiviral, Antibacterial Properties, High Source of Iron.
To Conclude, This recipe is suitable for Carb friendly, Iron Rich, Vegetarian, Vegan, Plant Based, Kids Friendly, Gluten Free diets.
How to serve, ‘Jeera Rice / Indian Cumin Pulao Rice’:
Jeera rice is the simplest of all the Indian flavoured rice pilaf recipes. So, its definitely paired up with some gravy curry and raita.
Below is the Indian Meal Platter / Thali where I have Jeera rice as part of it. Link for the entire thali⇒ Bhojanam / Thali / Platter # 13
Gravy Curry recipes suitable with Jeera Pulao / Indian Cumin Rice:
- Indian Paneer Korma Curry / Paneer Kurma
- Matar Paneer / Mutter Paneer Curry
- Chana Masala / Vegan Chickpea Stew (Instant Pot, Stove top)
- Rajma Palak Masala / Red Kidney Beans & Spinach Curry
- Bajji Mirchi / Banana Peppers Gravy Curry (Instant Pot, Stove Top)
- Aloo Matar Masala / Potato Green Peas Gravy Curry
- Zucchini (Courgette) Vegan Kofta Curry
Other recipes from my blog:
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Main Course recipes collection⇒ Main Course Recipes
Appetiser recipes collection⇒ Starters / Snacks
Instant Pot Recipes collection⇒ Electric Pressure Cooker / Instant Pot Recipes
- Basmati / Lon Grain Rice – 2 cups (uncooked)
- Onions – 1 (large size)
- Green Chillies – 4
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Salt – 1½ teaspoons
- Cooking Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Bay Leaves / Biryani Leaves – 2
- Cinnamon Sticks / Dalchini – 2
- Jeera / Whole Cumin seeds – 2 teaspoons
- Jeera powder / Cumin Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Water – as required
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – 1 tablespoon (optional)
- Indian Basmati Rice Grains
- Whole Cumin Seeds/ Jeera
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Jeera Pulao / Cumin Rice (Stove Top, Instant Pot Methods)’:
Prep Work (common for both methods):
Firstly, take the rice (grains) into a vessel, wash twice.
Fill with water (twice the amount of rice) and let it soak for at least 20 mins. Drain the water before use.
Rice: Water ratio for Stove top is 1:1½ ; Rice Cooker is 1:1¼; Instant Pot is 1:1.
Gather all the ingredients at one place.
Chop the onions into thin long slices and grate the ginger. Cut the green chillies length wise.
Stove Top Method Jeera Rice (15 mins):
Instant Pot Method Jeera Rice (10 mins):
Short Video Clip:
- Basmati Rice is the best for any Pulao/Pilaf. Long grain rice is other alternative.
- Rice: Water ratio for Stove top is 1:1½ ; Rice Cooker is 1:1¼; Instant Pot is 1:1.
- Soaking of rice is very important, this makes rice to cook fluffy.
- The measurement for rice : water is very important, for the cooked rice to have perfect texture.
- Homemade Jeera Powder / Ground Cumin can be easily made at home by tossing the whole cumin/jeera in a frying pan until they turn light brown in colour and give a pleasant aroma. Once they are cooled , just blend them into powder in a blender or grinder.
- Adjust the salt & spice as per your taste.
- In the Instant Pot / Electric Pressure Cooker Method, before adding the rice, scraping the pot to deglaze is very much necessary. This is to avoid any rice particles to the bottom which in turn gives a BURN signal.
- For instant pot method, instead of pressure cook mode, you can opt for Rice Mode which takes 12 mins on High Pressure.
- This, Jeera pulao / Cumin rice is very mild in flavour, one pot meal .
- It can be served with any Raita /gravy /curry/ sauce but we had it with Carrot Raita / Carrot – Yogurt Dip.
- Even though it doesn’t have any veggie, yet it completely fills the tummy with right nutrients.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases
Recipe Card & Print:
Jeera Pulao / Cumin Rice (Instant Pot, Stove Top Methods)
- 1 Wide Mixing Bowl (for soaking the rice)
- 1 Sauce Pan / Vessel (for stove-top method)
- 1 Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker (for IP method)
- 2 cups Indian Basmati Rice / Long Grain Rice (uncooked)
- 1 large Onion
- 4 count Green Chillies (or as per taste)
- 1 inch piece Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Jeera / Whole Cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon Jeera powder / Cumin Powder
- 2 count Bay Leaves / Biryani Leaves
- 2 count Cinnamon Sticks / Dalchini
- 2 tablespoons Cooking Oil
- 1½ teaspoons Salt (or as per taste)
- as required Water
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Coriander Leaves (optional)
Rice:Water ratio for Stove top is 1:1½ ; Rice Cooker is 1:1¼; Instant Pot is 1:1.
PREP WORK(for any method):
- Firstly, take the rice (grains) into a vessel, wash twice.
- Fill with water (twice the amount of rice) and let it soak for at least 20 mins. Drain the water before use.
- Gather all the ingredients at one place.Chop the onions into thin long slices and grate the ginger. Cut the green chillies length wise.
STOVE TOP / RICE COOKER METHOD JEERA PULAO(15 mins)
- Put a medium size pan / vessel on stove top under medium flame.
- Add the oil & heat. Add the bay leaves, cinnamon sticks and whole cumin / jeera into the pan. Saute them.Add chopped onion & ginger. Stir fry them.When the onions become translucent, add the jeera/cumin powder and slit green chillies.
- Switch the flame off and transfer all the items of the pan onto the rice in a vessel / rice cooker. Add fresh water (as per above measurement) and salt. Mix everything gently, so that the basmati rice do not break/crack.
- Stove-top Vessel: With lid on, cook under medium flame for 10 mins, give a mix, change the flame to low, cook for more 5 mins.Stove-top pressure cooker: for 3 whistles.Once the rice is cooked, gently fluff up with a fork and garnish with chopped coriander. Done!!
INSTANT POT METHOD JEERA RICE: (10 mins)
- Switch the instant pot ON, set to SAUTE mode for 5 mins.
- Add all these>> oil, jeera / cumin seeds, bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, chopped ginger, onion. Sauté by stirring.When the onions become translucent, add the slit green chillies, jeera / cumin powder. Mix everything.
- Now, pour 2-3 tablespoons of water, scrape the bottom to deglaze. This is done so that nothing is stuck and to prevent the 'burn' signal.Then, transfer the soaked rice after draining the soaked water. Add fresh water (1:1) and salt. Mix everything.
- Close the lid. Set>> the valve to SEALING, mode to Pressure Cook, Pressure Level to LOW, time to 5 mins.
- Later, when the timer is done, the IP beeps. Switch the gadget OFF. Then, release the pressure naturally (NPR) only when the red knob on the lid, goes down.
- Gently fluff up with a fork. Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves. Done!!
You can Pin it here, using Pinterest Link :
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can find my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category