Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:15 mins CookTime:20 mins Cuisine:Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
Kofta Curry is my kids first choice among other sabzi (curry) recipes whenever we go to any North Indian Restaurant. Although, I am aware of the basic recipe for any Kofta curry, was a bit sceptical about making Kofta curry using Zucchini.
So, here this is the first time I attempted at making this gravy style Vegan Sabzi, which turned out extremely appetising just in my first attempt.
Zucchini also known as Courgette, is my most approachable vegetable for many recipes like, chutney, dal, sandwich filling, stir fry curry, raita. From now on, I add this gravy curry recipe too. Hope you would try!
Table of Contents:
- Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Zucchini (Courgette) Vegan Kofta Curry’:
- Other recipes from my blog:
- Step Wise Pics Procedure for ‘Zucchini (Courgette) Vegan Kofta Curry (Stove Top, Air Fryer)’:
- Prep Work:
- Stove Top Method Frying Zucchini Kofta:
- Air Fryer Method Frying Zucchini Kofta:
- Making Gravy for Zucchini Kofta Curry:
- Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
- Recipe Card & Print:
Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Zucchini (Courgette) Vegan Kofta Curry’:
Replacement for Zucchini / Courgettes, can be replaced with Lauki, Bottle Gourd, Butternut Squash, Pumpkin, Summer Squash.
Instead of cashew nuts, you might use Whole Almonds.
Whole Garam Masala used for this recipe includes all these>> cumin, star anise, cinnamon sticks, whole black pepper, cloves, cardamom.
Bread Crumbs: I have taken 2 fresh bread slices into my food processor and gave a pulse. Used them in this recipe.
Shape of the Kofta, need not be only round, you can make them into Oval shape, just I like I did. Of course, mine aren’t so perfect in shape.
Using Instant Pot, I tried making this curry using an Instant Pot Pressure Cooker, but I felt its more time taking when compared to the stove-top method and nothing to be pressure cooked for this recipe.
Prep options: You can make the base gravy well before. Store it in an air-tight container in the fridge for upto 15 days. Make the Kofta balls and freeze them. Just before serving, fry the kofta balls and add them to the gravy after heating up the gravy for about 5 mins.
WFPB / Oil-Free options: The ingredients used in this recipe are all Plant Based. If you are using an Air-Fryer, try them without oil-spray too. It did work for me. And while making curry omit the 2 tablespoons of oil used, but add the masala paste directly to the pan.
Other recipes from my blog:
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Curry recipes collection⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
Instant Pot Recipes Collection⇒ Electric Pressure Cooker / Instant Pot Recipes
Meal Platter Collection⇒ Bhojanam / Thali / Meal Platter
- Matar Paneer / Mutter Paneer Curry (Instant Pot, Stove Top)
- Courgettes Chutney / Zucchini Chutney / Nethi-Beerakaya Pachchadi
- Grilled Zucchini (Courgette) Vegan Sandwich
- Bajji Mirchi / Banana Peppers Gravy Curry (Instant Pot, Stove Top)
- Aloo Methi Sabzi / Potato & Fenugreek Fry(Instant Pot, Stove Top)
Follow me on⇒ Facebook / Pinterest / YouTube / Instagram
- Zucchini / Courgette – 1 cup (tightly pressed)
- Bread Crumbs / Powder – ¼ cup
- Besan / Gram Flour / Senagapindi – ¼ cup
- Green Chilli Paste – 1 tablespoon
- Ginger-Garlic Paste – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Turmeric Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Dry Red Chillies – 6
- Cashew Nuts – ¼ cup
- Whole Garam Masala – 2 tablespoons
- Onion – 1 (large size) (cubed)
- Tomatoes – 3 (medium size) (cubed)
- Cooking Oil – 2 cups (for stove top)
- ” ” – 2 tablespoons (for air fryer method)
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – a handful (for garnish)
- Hot Boiling Water – 2 cups (for soaking)
- Bread Crumbs / Powder
- Whole Garam Masala
Step Wise Pics Procedure for ‘Zucchini (Courgette) Vegan Kofta Curry (Stove Top, Air Fryer)’:
Stove Top Method Frying Zucchini Kofta:
Air Fryer Method Frying Zucchini Kofta:
Making Gravy for Zucchini Kofta Curry:
- Adjust the salt & spice as per your taste.
- In case you would need to add more of Grated Zucchini while making the kofta balls, just do so accordingly.
- For soaking the ‘ingredients for masala paste’, add enough water just to soak them. If you add more you’ll have to cook for more time until the gravy thickens.
- While making the Kofta balls, DO NOT ADD WATER, the water released from Zucchini (courgette) is enough to make the balls.
- The water from Zucchini is released within 5 mins, so get ready to fry them immediately. If not, the kofta balls might turn sticky and watery.
- If at all the Kofta Balls have turned sticky/watery, just roll them over bread crumbs and fry immediately.
- You can use any bread for making bread crumbs, either white, whole wheat, or 50-50.
- Stove Top method frying: Be very careful to keep an eye while frying the kofta balls. They take very less time to fry, if not they turn dark burnt colour very soon.
- Storage: This curry stays good at room temperature for 2 days.
- And when stored in an air-tight container in the fridge, it stays good for up to 10 days.
- ‘Zucchini (Courgette) Vegan Kofta Curry is finger licking’ is a very under statement to describe this dainty Gravy Curry.
- As shown in my pics, we had it as a side with homemade ghee roti. And not to forgot sliced onions, lemon wedges, green chillies that goes well with the platter.
- Being a mild in spice gravy curry, my kids said that its utterly delectable. Planning to make this, when I host my friends next time.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe Card & Print:
Zucchini (Courgette) Vegan Kofta Curry (Stove Top, Air Fryer)
- Food processor / Blender / Mixie.
- Frying pan (for stove-top method)
- Air-Fryer for air-fryer method
- Sauce Pan / Vessel (for stove-top method)
- 1 cup Zucchini / Courgette (tightly pressed)
- ¼ cup Bread Crumbs / Powder
- ¼ cup Besan / Gram Flour / Senagapindi
- 1 tablespoon Green Chilli Paste
- 1 tablespoon Ginger-Garlic Paste
- as per taste Salt
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ¼ cup Cashew Nuts
- 6 count Dry Red Chillies
- 2 tablespoons Whole Garam Masala
- 1 count Onion (large size) (cubed)
- 3 count Tomatoes (medium size) (cubed)
- 2 cups Cooking Oil (for stove top)
- 2 tablespoons " " (for air fryer method)
- a handful Fresh Coriander Leaves (for garnish)
- 2 cups Hot Boiling Water (for soaking)
PREP WORK (common to both methods):
- Masala Paste:Into a wide bowl, add all these>>> hot boiling water, cubed onion pieces, cubed tomato pieces, dry red chillies, cashew nuts, whole garam masala (cumin, star anise, Cinnamon sticks, whole black pepper, cloves, cardamom). Let them soak for about 15-20 mins,
- To Make Kofta Balls:Making Kofta balls: Into a mixing bowl, add all these>>> grated zucchini (courgette), bread crumbs, besan/gram flour, salt, turmeric powder, ginger-garlic paste, green chilli paste.
STOVE TOP METHOD FRYING ZUCCHINI KOFTA:
- Put a frying pan on stove top under high flame, add the oil and let it heat. When the oil is hot enough for deep fry, gently add the Zucchini Balls one by one.
- After 1 min, turn to the other side. When the balls turn golden brown as shown, then using a mesh ladle, remove them out of the oil onto a tray with paper towel.
AIR FRYER METHOD FRYING ZUCCHINI KOFTA:
- Slightly oil-spray /apply oil to the mesh of the Air-fryer. Place all the kofta balls onto the mesh tray. Again spray each with oil (or) apply oil. Close the air-fryer.
- Set the time to 7 to 8 mins, at a temperature 200ºC / 390ºF. Pause and reverse each kofta balls and again fry for 4 to 5 mins more at 200ºC / 390ºF. Done!!
TO MAKE THE GRAVY CURRY:
- Using a blender/mixie, grind all the soaked ingredients into a fine, smooth paste. Put a sauce pan on stove top under medium flame. Add 2 tablespoons of oil. Let it heat. Then, transfer this masala paste, into the samepan. Add the salt & ½ teaspoon turmeric powder.
- Using a blender/mixie, grind all the soaked ingredients into a fine, smooth paste. Put a sauce pan on stove top under medium flame.Add 2 tablespoons of oil. Let it heat. Then, transfer this masala paste, into the samepan. Add the salt & ½ teaspoon turmeric powder.
- Close the lid, let the gravy thicken and the oil show up on the sides of the pan. Then, add all the kofta balls into the gavy. After 2 mins, switch the flame off.
- Transfer the curry into a serving dish, garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Done!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category