Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:5 mins CookTime:15 mins Cuisine:Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
Happy Deepawali / Diwali to all my readers, those who are celebrating! This year, for Diwali I made this Kalakand Burfi recipe. The main funda here is, to make the Chenna / Chena (milk solids) from scratch at home. Until I started making, I felt a bit lazy, as I was under the impression that making chenna / chena at home is a prolonged process.
But, to my surprise I have realised making Chenna at home, is quite easy atleast takes less time when compared to Paneer. And the kalakand burfi using this fresh chenna / chena, is just made so easily within 10-15 mins.
If you would like to make, Kalakand by adding Mango in it. My detailed Step Wise Pics Recipe⇒ Mango Kalakand Burfi / Fudge
Table of Contents:
- What is Kalakand:
- What is Chenna / Chena:
- Possible Alterations & Tips for the recipe, ‘Kalakand Burfi with Homemade Chenna’:
- Other recipes from my blog:
- Step Wise Pics Procedure for ‘Kalakand Burfi with Homemade Chenna’:
- To Make Chena / Chenna from scratch:
- To make Kalakand:
- Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
- Recipe Card & Print:
What is Kalakand:
Kalakand is a milk based, traditional Indian dessert/sweet made with milk solids and sugar. It is the most popular festive sweets which takes the first place among Milk Based Sweets.
It might be considered as Indian style Milk Cake. This recipe has the prolonged process starting from making the Chena / Chenna from the scratch. If you have Chena ready to use, then its a time saver for you.
What is Chenna / Chena:
Chenna / Chena in simple words, is a variety of Indian style cottage cheese which is more moist and crumbly when compared to Paneer. Where Paneer is also Indian cottage cheese which is made from Chenna / Chena.
It can be taken as a fresh cheese made by curdling fresh whole milk while boiling. It is used in many Indian style desserts.
Chenna/Chena is the main ingredient for making Bengali Sweets like Rasmalai, Chana Payesh, Chum-Chum, Sandesh, etc.
Possible Alterations & Tips for the recipe, ‘Kalakand Burfi with Homemade Chenna’:
Instead of Chenna / Chena, you can use Crumbled Paneer too.
After straining the curdled milk solids, let it be a bit moist. Don’t press too much to release all of the water.
Keep stirring continuously, while you put the chenna-sugar mix to form thick mass. If not, the content will burn and the recipe will be ruined.
Kalakand Colour: I have used Unrefined Cane Sugar, hence my Kalakand has turned a bit off-white in colour. If you use white sugar the final colour would be white.
Do not overcook the Kalakand, it should be moist. Switch off the flame before it turns out dry.
Replacement for chocolate: In case you do not have chocolate bar, you might use Nutella.
Nut allergy: If you are allergic to nuts, just eliminate the Pistachio topping.
Other recipes from my blog:
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Other Dessert recipes here⇒ Desserts / Mithayi
Burfi recipes collection⇒ Indian Burfi / Fudge Recipes
Appetiser recipes collection⇒ Starters / Snacks
- Mango Kalakand Burfi / Fudge
- Mango Kalakand Dessert Parfait
- Dry Apricot Energy Balls (Vitamin C rich)
- Vegan Almond Energy Bars
Ingredients for Kalakand:
- Chena / Chenna – 1 cup (pressed)
- Sugar – ½ cup
- Cardamom / Elaichi Powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Pistachio (coarsely grounded) – ¼ cup
- Sweetened Chocolate Bar – palm size
- Ghee / Butter – ½ teaspoon (for greasing the tray)
Additional Ingredients for Chena / Chenna:
- Fresh Whole Milk – 2 litres
- Lemon Juice / Vinegar- 6 tablespoons
- Water – ¼ cup
Step Wise Pics Procedure for ‘Kalakand Burfi with Homemade Chenna’:
To Make ‘Chena / Chenna’ from scratch:
To make Kalakand:
- While mixing the lemon juice into the boiled milk, be careful that the milk doesn’t spill upon you.
- Instead of Cardamom Powder you might use same quantity of rose essence (or) butter scotch essence (or) vanilla essence.
- You can use store bought paneer, but make sure it is fresh and is crumbled before used in the recipe.
- Storage: Put these Kalakand Burfi in an air-tight container. They stay good for a week at room temperature and up to a month when stored in fridge.
- This crowd pleasing Indian dessert, Kalakand has turned out utterly delightful.
- The output is utterly luscious, and the chocolatey layer contributes in taking the taste as step ahead.
- I loved the addition of coarsely grounded pistachio, which gave that nutty texture in every bite.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe Card & Print:
Kalakand Burfi Recipe with Homemade Chenna / Chena
- Sauce Pan / Vessel (for stove-top method)
- Food processor / Blender / Mixie.
- Frying pan (for stove-top method)
Ingredients for Kalakand:
- 1 cup Chena / Chenna (pressed)
- ½ cup Sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Cardamom / Elaichi Powder
- ¼ cup Pistachio (coarsely grounded)
- palm size Sweetened Chocolate Bar
- ½ teaspoon Ghee / Butter (for greasing the tray)
Additional Ingredients for Chenna / Chena:
- 2 litres Fresh Whole Milk
- 6 tablespoons Lemon Juice / Vinegar
- ¼ cup Water
TO MAKE CHENNA / CHENA FROM SCRATCH:
- Put a sauce pan on stove top under medium flame, add the milk. Bring it to boil. Mix up the lime juice & water in a small cup. Pour this mix inot the boiling milk. Gently mix up everything.
- Leave the vessel under low flame for 15-20 mins, for the milk to solidify and the whey to form.
- Later, switch the flame off. Put a colander above a wide vessel such that it fits the colander perfectly. Pour the entire content of the milk solids along with water onto the colander. Leave it for 5-10 mins, let the whey water and milk solids separate. These milk solids are called Chenna / Chena.
TO MAKE KALAKAND BURFI:
- In a mixie / blender / processor, take the chenna (milk soilds) and sugar, as per measurements. Blend them into soft paste. Do not add any water.
- Transfer this smooth paste into a pan. Add the cardamom powder too. Put the pan on stove-top under medium flame.
- Keep mixing the content until the soft paste turns into solid mass as shown. Might take 15 – 20 mins.At this stage switch the flame off.
- Grease a tray with ghee/butter. Gently put the kalakand onto the tray. Leave it to dry until 20 mins.
- In the meanwhile, take the chocolate bar into a glass vessel, and melt it in the microwave for just 30 secs. Apply this melted chocolate onto the slab of Kalakand. Spread evenly.
- Immediately sprinkle the grounded pistachio onto the chocolate spread. Let everything dry for about 10 mins.
- Using a sharp knife cut the kalakand slab into equal squares or diamonds. Done!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category