Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:5 mins CookTime:15 mins Cuisine:Indian
There are quite a few recipes of broccoli including lentils in them. So, I felt this would be a great combination to get protein along with benefits of this green veggie. So a dal/stew cooked with this combination is definitely going to give the sufficient nutrients to the body. This is a very simple, quick recipe that’s Vegan+ Gluten free.
My kids did not even realise that the dal has broccoli in it. They truly liked it and asked for another serving too.
I used a pressure cooker to make this, Broccoli dal / lentil stew, but you can make it on stove top / instant pot, with the same recipe.
Health Benefits of Broccoli & Lentils
Broccoli is an excellent green vegetable, which is rich in folic acid, fibre and vitamin C, K. Yellow mung lentils/ pesarapappu has benefits of non-animal protein, rich source of dietary fibre and other nutrients.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Collection of recipes with GREEN veggies⇒ Recipes with GREENS
My dal recipes collection here⇒ Dal / Pappu / Lentil Stew
Curry recipes collection⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
- Broccoli & Carrot Stir Fry
- Cauliflower,Carrots & Peas Stir Fry
- Sorakaya-Pesarapappu / Lauki-MungDal / BottleGourd-LentilStew
- CherryTomato Pickle / Tomato Thokku
- Broccoli – 1 head
- Tinda / Any Squash / Sorakaya – 1 small/medium size
- Mung Dal / Yellow Split Lentils / Pesarapappu – 1 cup (medium size)
- Green Chillies – 10 to 12
- Coriander Leaves – handful
- Salt – 2 teaspoons
- Turmeric Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Chopped garlic – 1 tablespoon (optional)
- Water – for boiling and cooking
Ingredients for tempering:
- Cooking oil – 2 tablespoons
- Mustard seeds / Aavalu – ¼ teaspoon
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Asafoetida / Hing / Inguva – half of ¼ teaspoon
- Dry Red Chillies – 3
- Curry Leaves – 5
- Garlic cloves – 2 (optional)
- Slit Green Chilly – 1 (optional)
- Urad Dal / Minappappu / Black gram – ½ teaspoon (optional)
- Asafoetida / Hing / Inguva
- Green Chillies
- Coriander Leaves
- Close the lid, put the cooker on the stove top in high flame and cook until you get 3-4 whistles.
- Meanwhile, take the green chillies & coriander leaves into a blender/mixer and grind coarsely.
- After the pressure is released, open the lid and add the salt , turmeric powder, coarse paste and chopped garlic (optional) into the same.
- Add ¼ cup of water and switch the flame on under medium.
- Stir everything thoroughly and let it cook for up to 3-5 mins.
- Shift the pressure cooker from the flame and put a small frying pan on the stove.
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Broccoli-Squash Dal / Curry’:
STOVE TOP METHOD:
INSTANT POT METHOD:
TEMPERING (common for both methods):
- Add all the ‘Ingredients for tempering’ into the pan and sauté them.
- Switch the flame off and transfer all the content of the pan into the dal/pappu/cooked lentils.
- Give a mix and take it into a serving dish. Done!!
- For this recipe, you can use any lentils like masoor dal (red lentils), toor dal, chana dal (yellow split lentils) , etc.
- I have a small pressure cooker suitable for making the stew/dal, if not you transfer the cooked dal/lentils into a suitable vessel and continue with the recipe.
- Try not to over cook the broccoli, as it has tendency to become soft easily.
- You can use any squash or bottle gourd too. If not try to use tomato / cucumber.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste, but the expected spice for this recipe is mild.
- The storage time of this, Broccoli dal / lentil stew at room temperature is just 1 day but when refrigerated stays good up to a week.
- The taste of this, Broccoli dal / lentil stew is medium in spice and the texture is very soft.
- It is suitable as a side with any rice, quinoa, any bread or as it is too.
- As in the pic below, we had it with steaming hot white rice and spicy mango pickle as an accompaniment.
- Try this combination to give a heavenly feeling to your taste buds!!
- My kids did not even realise that the dal has broccoli in it. They truly liked it and asked for another serving too.
Broccoli, Squash & Lentils Curry / Dal / Stew
- Wash the tinda/squash and broccoli. Peel the skin off the squash/sorakaya. Cut the squash/sorakaya into one inch pieces and the broccoli into small florets. Slit the green chillies length wise.
STOVE TOP METHOD:
- Take the moong lentils/ pesarapappu into the vessel to cook and wash them twice thoroughly. Pour 2 times of water to that of dal.
INSTANT POT / ELECTRIC PRESSURE COOKER METHOD:
You can Pin it here for later use, Pinterest Link :
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category