Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:2 mins CookTime:7 mins Cuisine:Indian
Lentils & Veg Rice, is the next recipe I made in my Electric Pressure cooker. Wanted to serve something for the family, which has more of protein & veggies in a one-pot meal. In that case, this is one basic option to feed the whole family easily within 10 mins.
Pressure cooking makes it much easier, to prepare such family meals during busy week nights, quickly & mess free. This rice recipe is called as ‘PULAGAM’ in South Indian Telugu language, which is generally made during Indian festivals or as breakfast item.
We all loved it plain without any side. You can have any chutney as a side too. My Chutney recipes collection⇒ Chutney / Dip
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
My Electric Pressure Cooker recipes here⇒ Electric Pressure Cooker Recipes
Curry Recipes Collection here⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
- White Basmati Rice – 1 cup
- Yellow Moong Dal – ½ cup
- Water – 1¼ cups or 1½ cups (for cooking) (See TIPS)
- Mixed Vegetables – 1½ cups
- Cashew Nuts – 10
- Fresh Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Green Chillies – 6
- Salt – 1½ teaspoon
- Whole Black Pepper – 1 tablespoon
- Black Pepper Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Whole Cumin – 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Fresh Coriander – handful
- Curry Leaves – 5 (optional)
- Chopped Coriander Leaves – 2 tablespoons
- Cooking Oil / Ghee – 2 tablespoons
- Green Chillies
- Turmeric Powder
- Curry Leaves
- Firstly, take the rice and lentils into same bowl, wash them thoroughly and add the water (for cooking). Set aside.
- Switch on the gadget, turn to the FRY MODE. Add the cooking oil / ghee, let it heat.
- Now, add the whole cumin, whole pepper, black pepper powder, curry leaves, slit green chillies, chopped ginger, cashew nuts and turmeric powder.
- Saute them until the cashew nuts turn colour.
- Add the mixed veggetables and salt. Mix everything.
- Transfer the rice, lentils and all the soaked water into the cooker vessel.
- Mix throughout gently, but be careful not to break the rice.
- Close the lid of the cooker, close the valve, select PRESSURE COOK mode, tap the START button. Takes just 7 mins only, to go to WARM MODE.
- Release the pressure naturally (NPR) , open the lid.
- Using a fork, fluff up the rice gently, garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Done!!
- Adjust the salt & spice, as per your taste.
- This is strictly a NO Onion & NO Garlic recipe. The combination doesn’t suit much.
- Add only 1¼ cup of water, if you prefer grainy rice texture. Add 1½ cups of water, if you prefer a bit of soft textured rice.
- This, Lentil & veg rice, stays good for 2 days at room temperature.
- It can also be stored in refrigerator for a week, and can be re-heated before serving.
- The colours seen in this, Lentils & veg rice, would undoubtedly attract anyone easily! Isn’t!?
- We all loved it plain without any side. You can have any chutney as a side too. My Chutney recipes collection⇒ Chutney / Dip
You can Pinit here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category