Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:20 mins CookTime:15 mins Cuisine: Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
‘Aloo Bonda’ / ‘Batata Vada’ / ‘Potato Vada’ can be referred to as Battered Vegan Potato Dumplings. It is an Indian snack recipe, which is one of the most popular street foods of India and is easily prepared at home too.
This tea-time snack is well accepted across India, and is equally liked by both adults and kids. The main reason is, for its texture being crispy on the outside and soft from the inside. This Potato Vada is used for assembling the VADA PAV.
Here, along with the traditional deep fry method, I even gave my take on making this mouth watering starter using an Air Fryer, without compromising in taste and texture. So, let’s get started!
Table of Contents:
- Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Aloo Bonda / Batata Vada / Potato Vada (Air Fry / Deep Fry)’:
- Full Video from my You Tube Channel:
- Other recipes from my blog:
- Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Aloo Bonda / Batata Vada (Stove Top, Air Fryer Methods)’:
- Prep Work:
- Prepare the Potato Balls and Aloo Bonda Batter:
- Stove Top Method Aloo Bonda:
- Air Fryer Method Aloo Bonda:
- Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
- Recipe Card & Print:
Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Aloo Bonda / Batata Vada / Potato Vada (Air Fry / Deep Fry)’:
Adding onions: Finely chopped onions (½ cup) can be added to the mashed potatoes, along with all other ingredients.
To eliminate Cooking Soda / Eno: You can eliminate, except that the bonda do not bulge much.
Different spices to add: Garam Masala ( 1tsp) , Amchur Powder (1 tsp) can be added additionally to get that North Indian flavour.
Eliminate Green Chillies: The authentic taste of the Aloo Bonda comes from the green chillies, ginger, curry leaves. Better not to avoid, but the other option would be Kashmiri red chilli powder (1 tsp).
Full Video from my You Tube Channel:
Other recipes from my blog:
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Air Fryer recipes collection⇒ Air – Fryer Recipes
Appetiser recipes collection⇒ Starters / Snacks
Instant Pot recipes collection⇒ Electric Pressure Cooker / Instant Pot Recipes
Smoothie recipes collection⇒ Drink / Beverage
Related Posts with ‘POTATO’:
- Chickpeas and Sweet Potato Soup (Instant Pot)
- Aloo Matar Masala / Potato Green Peas Gravy Curry
- Easy Aloo Paratha / Potato Stuffed Flatbread
- Potato Salad with Parsley
- Spicy Baby Potato Roast (Instant Pot / Stove Top)
- Aloo Methi Sabzi / Potato & Fenugreek Fry
- Potato Wedges with Rosemary (Air Fryer, Oven)
Follow me on⇒ Facebook / Pinterest / YouTube / Instagram
- Boiled Whole Potato / Aloo – 5 (medium size)
- Green chillies – 5 (small size)
- Fresh Coriander / Cilantro Leaves – 3 tablespoons (chopped)
- Curry leaves – 2 tablespoons (chopped)
- Ginger – 1 teaspoon (chopped/paste)
- Garlic – 1 teaspoon (chopped/paste)
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – 1½ teaspoons
- Turmeric Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Besan / Gram Flour / Chickpea Flour – 1½ cups
- Rice flour – ½ cup
- Baking soda / Cooking Soda / Eno – 1 teaspoon
- Vaamu / Carom Seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Turmeric Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Fresh Coriander / Cilantro Leaves – 1 tablespoon
- Hot Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Water – 1½ cups
- Cooking Oil – 3 cups (for stove top method)
- ” ” – 3 tablespoons
- Rice Flour
- Green Chillies
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Aloo Bonda / Batata Vada (Stove Top, Air Fryer Methods)’:
As part of the prep work, boiling the potatoes is very much required.
You can boil the potatoes either on Stove Top (or) in an Instant Pot. I have given both the methods, you can check accordingly.
Stove Top Method to BOIL POTATOES:
Instant Pot Method to BOIL POTATOES:
Prepare the Potato Balls and Aloo Bonda Batter:
Stove Top Method Aloo Bonda:
Air Fryer Method Aloo Bonda:
- Adjust the salt & spice as per your taste.
- The tiny bits of fresh ginger/garlic while eating these aloo bonda, gives a different taste than those made with ginger-garlic paste.
- Don’t forget to add hot oil (1 tbsp) while making the batter. This makes the aloo bonda to turn crispy.
- The batter has to be just like dosa batter consistency.
- You can use a fork/hand beater to make the lump free batter.
- Batter the potato balls just before frying only.
- Storage: These taste good at room temperature only for a day or at most 2 days.
- You can store in fridge for 2 more days, but you need to air fry them again for 2-3 mins, before serving.
- Both the Air Fried Aloo Bonda and Deep Fried Batata Vada, were really very tasty.
- They were crunchy on the outside and soft from inside.
- The flavourful combination of ‘ginger-curry leaves-coriander leaves-green chillies’, is the hero of this recipe.
- You can savour just as it is without any dip too. Fried fresh green chillies is often used for extra spice on the side.
- I served them along with 2 different dips>> Tamarind Date Sweet Chutney (shall share recipe soon) and Spice Mix for Roasted Veg / Vepudu Karam Podi
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe Card & Print:
Aloo Bonda / Batata Vada / Potato Vada (Air Fryer or Deep Fry)
- 2 Wide Mixing Bowl
- 1 Deep Frying Pan for stove-top method
- 1 Air-Fryer for air-fryer method
- 1 Small Brush (to apply oil)
For making Potato Balls:
- 5 count Potato / Aloo (medium size) (boiled)
- 5 count Green chillies (small size)
- 3 tablespoons Fresh Coriander / Cilantro Leaves (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Curry leaves (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Ginger (chopped/paste)
- 1 teaspoon Garlic (chopped/paste)
- 1½ teaspoon Jeera / Cumin Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
For making the Batter:
- 1½ cups Besan / Gram Flour / Chickpea Flour
- ½ cup Rice flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda / Cooking Soda / Eno
- 1 teaspoon Vaamu / Carom Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli powder / Kashmiri Chilli Powder
- as per taste Salt
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 tablespoon Hot Oil
- 1½ cups Water
- 3 cups Cooking Oil (for stove top method)
- 3 tablespoons " " (for air fryer method)
- You can boil the potatoes either on Stove Top (or) in an Instant Pot. I have given both the methods, you can check accordingly.
Stove Top Method to Boil Potatoes:
- Into a sauce pan, add 4 cups of water, drop the potatoes, place the lid on, put the vessel on stove top under high flame for 15 to 20 mins.Switch the flame OFF, strain the hot water. Run cold water over them, peel the skin.
Instant Pot Method to Boil Potatoes:
- Pour 2 cups of water into the inner pot. Place all the washed potatoes into a steel vessel and put the vessel on the steel stand that fits in the Instant pot vessel. Close the IP lid & valve. Set to PRESSURE COOK mode, for 5 mins under HIGH PRESSURE.
- Later, Release the pressure naturally (NPR) takes 10 more mins. Put the boiled potatoes in cold water, peel the skin.
MAKING 'ALOO BONDA/BATATA VADA':
- Gather all the ingredients at one place. Finely chop the green chillies, ginger, garlic, coriander leaves, curry leaves. Mash the potatoes perfectly without any lumps.
Prepare the Bonda/Potato Balls:
- Into a mixing bowl, take all the ingredients under 'INGREDIENTS FOR POTATO BALLS'Mix everything thoroughly well and make into small balls.
Prepare the Batter:
- Into a different mixing bowl, add all the ingredients under 'Batter' (except water).Keep adding water (1½ cups) little by little and mix everything to make a lump free, thick batter (dosa batter consistency).
Deep Fry Method 'Aloo Bonda/Batata Vada':
- Put a deep frying pan on stove top under high flame. Add cooking oil (3 cups). Let it heat well. Dip each potato ball into the prepared batter. Using a tablespoon, coat it thoroughly, then gently drop into the hot oil.
- Let them fry on all sides for 3 to 4 mins. In between, gently keep turning now & then. When they turn golden brown on all sides, using a slotted ladle remove them onto kitchen towel, to absorb any extra oil.
Air Fryer Method 'Aloo Bonda/Batata Vada':
- Line air fryer mesh with parchment paper. Using a large spoon, Dip each potato ball into the prepared batter, place on the paper. Close the air fryer. Set MODE to AIR FRY, time to 12 mins, temperature to 200ºC/390ºF. Half way through spray a teaspoon of oil.
- When the timer is done, open the air fryer brush each one with little oil. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category