Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:2 mins CookTime:10 mins Cuisine:Indian
If you remember my recent posts, the latest spice powder / podi that I made & shared was, Mint Leaves Spice Powder / Pudina Karam Podi, exactly 2 months back.
That small quantity which I made, lasted till yesterday. That was a chutney powder but here is something different I made today.
A new spice mix / podi which can actually be used in cooking distinctively. And here you go, I am sharing the recipe with you all dear readers.
Table of Contents:
- How to use ‘Indian Spice Mix for Roasted Veg / Vepudu Karam Podi’:
- Health Benefits for ‘Spice Mix for Roasted Veg / Andhra Vepudu Karam Podi’:
- Other recipes from my blog:
- Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Spice Mix for Roasted Veg / Vepudu Karam Podi / Indian Curry Powder’:
- Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
- Recipe Card & Print:
How to use ‘Indian Spice Mix for Roasted Veg / Vepudu Karam Podi’:
This, Spice powder goes very well as a topping for any Indian Dry Curry or as a topping for tacos, salads, wraps.
It pairs up pretty well with any roasted veg, especially potato, sweet potato, broccoli, eggplant, tindora, cauliflower, etc.
The aromatic flavour of whole fennel seeds / saunf, is the best part to feel & enjoy while roasting the ingredients. In my next posts, I shall share few recipes, specifically using this spice mix. Be ready!
Health Benefits for ‘Spice Mix for Roasted Veg / Andhra Vepudu Karam Podi’:
As you can see, this spice mix / podi has just a few basic ingredients but the benefits they provide us are numerous.
Just stating here the main benefits from each>>> lentils (rich in protein), cumin (helps in boosting immunity), fennel seeds / saunf (helps regulate blood pressure, reduces asthma symptoms), black pepper (high in anti-oxidants), coriander seeds (improves digestion).
To conclude, as per ayurveda, the usage of all these healthy ingredients in one simple recipe, makes this a wealthy mix.
Other recipes from my blog:
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Spice Powder / Podi recipes⇒ Powder / Podi
Curry recipes collection⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
Meal Platters / Thali⇒ Bhojanam / Thali / Meal Platter
- Menthaku / Methi Leaves Chutney Powder
- Mint Leaves Spice Powder / Pudina Karam Podi
- Vankaya Podi Koora / Eggplant Dry Curry (Air fryer, Stove top)
- Stuffed Brinjal Dry Curry / GuttiVankaya Podi Koora
- Coriander Seeds / Dhaniya – 1 tablespoon
- Cumin Seeds / Jeera – ½ tablespoon
- Fennel Seeds / Saunf – ½ tablespoon
- Black Peppercorn / Miriyalu – ½ tablespoon
- Urad Dal / Skinless Black Lentils – 2 tablespoons
- Dry Red Chillies – 8 (long) or 12 (short)
- Salt – as per taste
- Fennel Seeds / Saunf
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Spice Mix for Roasted Veg / Vepudu Karam Podi / Indian Curry Powder’:
- Keep stirring continuously while dry roasting the ingredients. No multi-tasking please!
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- Let the roasted ingredients cool completely and only then grind/blend. If not the powder would be wet and would not have long shelf life.
- Here I have used Kashmiri Red Chillies, but you can even use Guntur Red Chillies too.
- You can use any dry red chilly variety, either long or round.
- But if you use the short, round size dry red chillies, you will have to double the count.
- Always use a clean & dry spoon for usage.
- Storage: For longer shelf life, store in a clean, dry, air-tight container at a cool dry place.
- It stays fresh up to 1-2 months. After which it tastes good but the spice level might reduce a bit.
- The main highlight of this spice mix, is the aroma of whole fennel seeds which has such a mesmerising flavour.
- This, Spice powder goes very well as a topping for any Indian Dry Curry or as a topping for tacos, salads, wraps.
- And even for a spicy tinge on any air fried or deep fried appetisers.
- It pairs up pretty well with any roasted veg, especially potato, sweet potato, broccoli, eggplant, tindora, cauliflower, etc.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
Recipe Card & Print:
Spice Mix for Roasted Veg / Vepudu Karam Podi
- Frying pan (for stove-top method)
- Measure all the ingredients & take them into a tray.
- Put a frying pan on stove top under low flame. Add all the ingredients, except salt and red chillies.
- Dry roast by stirring continuously, until they turn golden brown / leaves a nice aroma.Switch the flame off, add the dry red chillies and mix.
- Let them cool completely. Take everything into a mixie / spice blender. Add salt and grind everything coarsely.
- Transfer the powder into a clean & dry air-tight container. Done!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category