Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10 mins CookTime:5 mins Cuisine: Indian
Whenever somebody talks about fried rice, many people think of only, the restaurant style fried rice, which usually has egg in it. But pure vegetarians and vegans always miss tasting / making such recipes. So, to fill up that gap, I come up with this Vegan Fried rice recipe, added to that I made it in my own Indian way. Got me right, as Indian style of cooking is more convenient to me.
Here, I have used very basic ingredients and couple of veggies. But, just believe me, there’s no need of any wet / dry / gravy side to have along with this flavour filled rice. You can have it just as it is and greatly suits for kids lunch box, Thali / Meal Platter.
Things to remember, related to this recipe, ‘Easy Vegan Indian Fried Rice’:
The prep time mentioned above is just for chopping the veggies. Not for cooking the rice.
Get the Basmati Rice cooked and keep it ready. And for best fried rice, the cooked rice need to be completely cooled down.
Here is my detailed post about cooking perfect rice >> How to cook rice perfectly (Instant Pot, Stove top)
This is an Indian style recipe, so there’s no need of any soy sauce, don’t add it.
Basmati is the best fit for this Indian style fried rice recipe.
Health Benefits of, ‘Easy Vegan Indian Fried Rice’:
Rice is rich in starch and hence in carbohydrates too. Its GLUTEN FREE and provides fast and active energy. Brown rice is a whole grain, so its highly nutritious than white rice. White rice, has lower arsenic levels as the outer part is removed.
Carrots are low in carbs and are a great source of beta carotene, Vitamin K, folate, vitamin A & anti-oxidants
Green Beans are low in calories, low in fat, source of energy. But they are nutrient dense, rich in dietary fiber, folic acid, Vitamin C & K. Hence, these are good for pregnant ladies & feeding mothers.
Cinnamon / Dalchini is loaded with anti-oxidants and has anti-inflammatory qualities. It lowers blood sugar and powerful anti-diabetic properties.
Cloves is a winter spice and are dried flower buds that come from clove tree. They can kill bacteria and improve bone health. Clove oil is mainly used for wellness of teeth. (info from internet)
To conclude this is a one pot main meal recipe, which is completely Plant based, Gluten free, Low fat but filled with carbs, but has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Instant Pot recipes collection here⇒ Instant Pot / Electric Pressure Cooker Recipes
Appetiser recipes collection⇒ Starters / Snacks
Other recipes with RICE⇒ Main Course
- Tri-Capsicum Chinese Fried Rice
- Pudina-Carrot Rice / Mint-Carrot Rice
- Lentils & Veg Rice (Electric Pressure Cooker)
- Green Moong Beans (Sprouts) Pulao (Instant Pot / Stove top)
- Basmati White Rice – cooked with 1 cup of rice grains
- Water – as required (for cooking rice)
- Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Bay Leaves – 2
- Whole Cardamom / Elaichi – 4
- Cinnamon Sticks / Dalchini – 2
- Whole Cloves / Lavang – 6
- Onion – 1 (large size)
- Fresh Carrot – 2
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Fresh Green Beans – 5
- Green Chillies – 3
- Salt – as per taste
- Crushed Black peppercorn / pepper powder – ½ tablespoon
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – handful (for garnish)
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Easy Vegan Indian Fried Rice’:
- Get the Basmati Rice cooked and keep it ready. Here is my detailed post about cooking perfect rice >> How to cook rice perfectly (Instant Pot, Stove top)
- If the rice just cooked, spread it on a plate for 15 mins, to make it cold & reduce the wetness. So that the fried rice wouldn’t turn sticky.
- If you are using already cooked & cold rice, skip the above step.
STOVE TOP METHOD:
INSTANT POT METHOD:
- Here is my detailed post about cooking perfect rice >> How to cook rice perfectly (Instant Pot, Stove top)
- Adjust the salt & spice as per your taste.
- You might use any variety of rice, like Sona Masoori, Jasmine rice, Long grain rice too. I have used Basmati rice as its flavour is much suitable for the Indian spices I have used.
- Instead of finely chopped fresh ginger & fresh garlic, you could even use ginger-garlic paste too.
- Most important tip, is to get the rice cold enough, it should not be wet or hot.
- Keep in mind, that the veggies are to be only half cooked, which means they are expected to be a bit raw, for the perfect fried rice flavour & taste.
- If you wish to make this fried rice even more quick, chop the veggies well before and store in fridge in an air tight container.
- The rice was bursting out of flavours, from the whole spices which we used.
- We didn’t feel any need for any side like any gravy / fry, for this Easy Vegan Indian Fried Rice.
- But as a starter I served some freshly made green salad. And as a dessert we had my homemade spongy fruit cake. I have a plan to share both these recipes later.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Easy Vegan Indian Fried Rice
- WOK / Frying pan (for stove-top method)
- Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker (for IP method)
- Basmati White Rice – cooked with 1 cup of rice grains
- as required Water (for cooking rice)
- 3 tablespoons Cooking Oil
- 2 count Bay Leaves
- 4 count Whole Cardamom / Elaichi – 4
- 2 count Cinnamon Sticks / Dalchini
- 6 count Whole Cloves / Lavang
- 1 count Onion (large size)
- 2 count Fresh Carrot (small size)
- 1 inch piece Ginger
- 2 pods Garlic
- 5 count Fresh Green Beans
- 3 count Green Chillies
- ½ tablespoon Crushed Black peppercorn / pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon Vinegar
- as per taste Salt
- 1 handful Fresh Coriander Leaves (for garnish)
- Peel the onion, chop it length wise. Very finely chop>> the carrots, green beans, green chillies, ginger, garlic and coriander leaves.
- Get the basmati rice cooked, Here is my detailed post about cooking perfect rice >> How to cook rice perfectly (Instant Pot, Stove top)spread it on a plate for 15 mins, to make it cold & reduce the wetness. So that the fried rice wouldn't turn sticky.
STOVE TOP METHOD:
- Put a frying pan / WOK on stove top under medium flame. Add the oil & heat it. Later add the cloves, bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, whole cardamom and chopped onion. Sauté everything until onion softens a bit.
- Now add the finely chopped green chillies, carrots, green beans, ginger, garlic and salt. Stir fry everything until they are half cooked. Takes just 3 mins.
- Next transfer the cooked Basmati rice into the pan / WOK.Add the crushed whole black peppercorn / pepper powder, vinegar and half of chopped coriander leaves.
- Gently mix up everything, so that all the ingredients are thoroughly coated to the rice. Let the pan be on flame, until the rice warms up.
- Switch the Flame OFF. Transfer the fried rice into a serving dish, garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Done!
INSTANT POT / ELECTRIC PRESSURE COOKER METHOD:
- Switch the Gadget ON. Select SAUTE mode for 5 mins. Add the oil, cloves, bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, whole cardamom and chopped onion. Sauté everything until onion softens a bit.
- Immediately add the finely chopped green chillies, carrots, green beans, ginger, garlic and salt. Sauté everything by stirring in between. Let them be half raw.
- Now transfer the cooked Basmati rice into the pot.Add crushed whole black peppercorn / pepper powder, vinegar and half of chopped coriander leaves.
- Gently mix up everything, so that all the ingredients are thoroughly coated to the rice. Let the Gadget be on Sauté Mode, until the rice warms up.
- Switch OFF the Instant Pot. Transfer the fried rice into a serving dish, garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Done!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category