Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10-12hrs CookTime:5 mins Cuisine:Indian
Dosa / Attu is the most admired, adored and famous breakfast recipe of South India. Its an age old traditional breakfast variety and there are literally umpteen number of dosa varieties.
Traditionally, the basic Dosa batter is made with just 2 ingredients rice and black gram. Not much of variation is there in making a Dosa, but the ingredients in making the batter definitely varied w.rt. time. The reputation of dosa is mainly because of its qualities like VEGAN, GLUTENFREE, FLOUR FREE, PROTEIN RICH, EASY TO MAKE above all its extremely tasty with the accompaniments like any chutney, curry or sambar.
On the contrary many people avoid having dosa frequently, bacause of the OIL it uses to get roasted. As,Oil cannot be excluded from making a dosa, so people try to find ways to avoid the oil usage.
With this thought in mind, I found this excellent recipe of, Oil-free healthy dosa / without oil dosa, tried it myself and felt like it would be useful for many others. Here you go, just try this recipe of, Oil-free healthy dosa / without oil dosa, you will surely love it. 🙂
We had these Oil-free healthy dosa / without oil dosa(s) with Chutney, Pickle and Curry as accompaniments.
- Recipe links for Chutney⇒ Beerapottu Pachchadi / RidgeGourd Peel Chutney
- Pickle⇒ Dosavakaya / Yellow Cucumber Pickle
- Curry⇒ Potato Mash Curry /Aloo Tadka / Bangaladumpa Koora
My Breakfast recipes collection here⇒ Breakfast / Tiffin
- Yellow Moong Dal Idli / Pesarapappu Idli
- Spicy Cereal Trail Mix /Oil Free Snack in 5 mins / Spicy Cereal Mixture
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
- Rice/ Chawal/ Biyyam – 1 cup
- Idli Rice/ Parboiled Rice/ UppuduBiyyam – ½ cup
- Atukulu/ Pressed Rice/ Poha – 1 cup
- Whole Urad dal/ MinapaGundlu – 2 tablespoons
- Murmura/ Puffed Rice/ Maramaraalu – 1 cup
- Methi/ Fenugreek Seeds/ Menthulu – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Water – for soaking
- Idli Rice/ Parboiled Rice/ UppuduBiyyam
- Murmura/ Puffed Rice/ Maramaraalu
- Take the Urad Dal/Minapagundlu, Rice and IdliRice/ Parboiled Rice into a large bowl.
- Wash them thoroughly for 2-3 times.
- Add the Poha/ Flattened Rice/ Atukulu, Murmura/ Puffed Rice/ Maramaraalu and Methi/ Fenugreek Seeds/ Menthulu to the same bowl.
- Then add double the amount of water. Let them soak.
- Leave the bowl on kitchen platform for 4 to 5 hours.
- Transfer this soaked content (including soaked water) into a blender/ mixer and grind it into a fine batter.
- Add extra water if needed.
- Leave the above batter in a warm, dry place for fermentation upto 7 to 8 hrs.
- After fermentation, add enough salt and mix the batter 3-4 times thoroughly.
- Put the dosa griddle on stovetop under high flame and let it heat.
- Sprinkle fistful of water onto the griddle and rub it off with a kitchen cloth or an onion piece.
- Using a ladle, pour 2 ladlefuls of dosa batter onto the griddle (do not spread) and immediately close it with a lid.
- Let it steam cook for 2 mins.
- Open the lid and turn the dosa to the other side.Do not cover with lid.
- Let it be on the griddle for a 30sec and then remove the dosa from griddle.
- Repeat the same for the rest. Done!!
- Fermentation is a must, so dont skip or lessen the time for it.
- Look at the batter consistency in the pics I added.
- After pouring the batter on the griddle dont try to spread it like we do it for regular dosa.
- The curry in the photo is the same aloo curry as per the link, but to get the gravy consistency I added curd to the curry.
- This batter can be stored in the refrigerator upto a week, and can be used for making these Oil-free healthy dosa / without oil dosa, instantly.
- The taste of these, Oil-free healthy dosa / without oil dosa(s) is normal like regular dosa, but the texture is extremely soft like cotton.
- Being oil-free these you will be completely guilt-free while eating them.
- As in the pics below, we had these dosa(s) with Chutney, Pickle and Curry as accompaniments.
- Recipe links for Chutney⇒ Beerapottu Pachchadi / RidgeGourd Peel Chutney , Pickle⇒ Dosavakaya / Yellow Cucumber Pickle and Curry⇒ Potato Mash Curry /Aloo Tadka / Bangaladumpa Koora
You can Pinit here for later use, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category