Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10-12hrs CookTime:5 mins Cuisine:Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
Are you surprised looking at the title of this post? Its quite obvious when something exceptional like this is seen. 🙂
So read through my recipe below and do try for yourself, this unique South Indian breakfast, No Oil Dosa. I have given how I fermented the dosa batter in an Instant Pot and even at Room temperature.
Table of Contents:
- What is ‘Dosa’:
- Why to make ‘Oil Free Dosa’:
- How to serve, ‘Oil Free Healthy Dosa / Fat Free Dosa’:
- Other recipes from my blog:
- Full Video for ‘How to make Oil Free Healthy Dosa’:
- Step Wise pics Procedure for ‘Oil free Dosa / Without Oil Dosa / Steam Dosa Recipe’:
- Soaking & Grinding:
- Fermentation at Room Temperature:
- Dosa Batter Fermentation in Instant Pot:
- Cooking ‘Oil Free Dosa’:
- Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
- Recipe Card & Print:
What is ‘Dosa’:
Dosa / Attu is the most admired, adored and famous breakfast recipe of South India. Its an age old traditional breakfast variety and there are literally umpteen number of dosa varieties.
The reputation of dosa is mainly because of its qualities like PLANT BASED, GLUTEN FREE, FLOUR FREE, PROTEIN RICH, EASY TO MAKE above all its extremely tasty with the accompaniments.
Why to make ‘Oil Free Dosa’:
On the contrary many people avoid having dosa frequently, because of the OIL it uses to get roasted. As, Oil cannot be excluded from making a dosa, so people try to find ways to avoid the oil usage.
With this thought in mind, I found this excellent recipe of, Oil-free healthy dosa / without oil dosa, tried it myself and felt like it would be useful for many others.
Here you go, just try this recipe of, Oil-free healthy dosa / without oil dosa, you will surely love it. 🙂
How to serve, ‘Oil Free Healthy Dosa / Fat Free Dosa’:
In general, any traditional dosa is served with a variety of accompaniments that complement its flavours. They are>> Sambar, Tomato Chutney, Coconut Chutney, Peanut Chutney, Idli Podi.
Here are few Dosa Accompaniments from my blog:
- Coconut Almond Chutney / Kobbari Badam Pachadi
- Cherry Tomato Pickle / Tomato Thokku
- Peanut Chutney / Palli Pachadi
- Mint Leaves Spice Powder / Pudina Karam Podi
As shown in the pic below, we had these Oil-free healthy dosa / without oil dosa(s) with Chutney, Pickle and Curry as accompaniments.
- Chutney⇒ Beerapottu Pachadi / Ridge Gourd Peel Chutney
- Pickle⇒ Dosavakaya / Yellow Cucumber Pickle
- Curry⇒ Potato Mash Curry /Aloo Tadka / Bangaladumpa Koora
Other recipes from my blog:
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Breakfast recipes collection⇒ Breakfast / Tiffin
Chutney recipes collection⇒ Chutney / Pachadi / Dip
Drink recipes collection⇒ Drink / Beverage
Full Video for ‘How to make Oil Free Healthy Dosa’:
- White Rice/ Chawal/ Biyyam – 1 cup (uncooked)
- Idli Rice/ Parboiled Rice/ Uppudu Biyyam – ½ cup
- Atukulu / Pressed Rice / Poha – 1 cup
- Whole Urad dal / Minapa Gundlu – 2 tablespoons
- Murmura / Puffed Rice/ Maramaraalu – 1 cup
- Methi / Fenugreek Seeds/ Menthulu – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Water – as required (for soaking, grinding)
- Idli Rice/ Parboiled Rice/ UppuduBiyyam
- Murmura/ Puffed Rice/ Maramaraalu
Step Wise pics Procedure for ‘Oil free Dosa / Without Oil Dosa / Steam Dosa Recipe’:
Soaking & Grinding:
Fermentation at Room Temperature:
Dosa Batter Fermentation in Instant Pot:
Cooking ‘Oil Free Dosa’:
- Fermentation is a must, so don’t skip or lessen the time for it.
- After pouring the batter on the griddle don’t try to spread it like we do it for regular dosa.
- Forming of holes is the quality of perfect dosa in this recipe.
- On reversing the dosa to the other side, you can close it with lid if you prefer a soft dosa. But do not cover with lid, if you prefer crispy one.
- The curry in the photo is the same aloo curry as per the link, but to get the gravy consistency I added curd to the curry.
- Storage: This batter can be stored in the fridge up to a week, and can be used even without thawing.
- If you store the batter in freezer, it stays good for more than a month.
- The taste of these, Oil-free healthy dosa / without oil dosa(s) is normal like regular dosa, but the texture is extremely soft like cotton.
- Being oil-free these you will be completely guilt-free while eating them.
- As in the pics below, we had these dosa(s) with Chutney, Pickle and Curry as accompaniments.
- Recipe links for Chutney⇒ Ridge Gourd Peel Chutney , Pickle⇒ Dosavakaya / Yellow Cucumber Pickle and Curry⇒ Aloo Tadka / Bangaladumpa Koora
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe Card & Print:
Oil Free – Healthy Dosa / Without Oil Dosa / Steam Dosa Recipe
- 1 Blender/Grinder/Mixie.
- 1 Wide mixing bowl (for making batter) (for fermentation at room temperature)
- 1 Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker (for IP method) (for fermentation)
- 1 Dosa Pan / Pan Cake griddle
- 1 cup White Rice / Chawal / Biyyam (uncooked)
- ½ cup Idli Rice / Parboiled Rice / Uppudu Biyyam
- 1 cup Atukulu / Pressed Rice / Poha
- 2 tablespoons Whole Urad dal / Minapa Gundlu
- 1 cup Murmura / Puffed Rice / Maramaraalu
- 1 teaspoon Methi / Fenugreek Seeds / Menthulu
- as per taste Salt
- as required Water (for soaking, grinding)
Soaking the ingredients:
- Take the Urad Dal, White Rice and Idli Rice into a large bowl. Wash them thrice thoroughly & drain. Into the same bowl add all these>> Poha, Murmura, Methi Seeds.Add water (3 to 4 cups) until everything is well soaked. Leave the vessel on kitchen platform for 6 to 8 hours.
- Transfer soaked content (including soaked water) into a wet grinder / mixer. If needed, add little more water in between while grinding into smooth batter.
Dosa Batter Fermentation at Room Temperature:
- Leave the bowl of batter for 8 to 10 hrs, in a warm, dry place in the kitchen, for fermentation. After fermentation, add enough salt and mix the batter 3-4 times thoroughly. Use it right away or else store it.
Dosa Batter Fermentation in Instant Pot:
- Transfer whole of the smooth batter into the Instant Pot vessel. Close the gadget with any other suitable lid, but not the IP lid. Set the mode to YOGURT and time to 10 hrs.After 10 hrs, switch off the gadget, remove the lid, add salt & mix everything thoroughly. Use it right away or else store it.
Making Steamed Dosa on Stove Top Pan:
- Put dosa pan on stove top under high flame and let it heat to max. Sprinkle fistful of water onto the pan, rub it off with a kitchen tissue / onion piece.
- Using a deep round ladle, pour 2 ladles full of batter onto the pan. Do not spread. Immediately close with a lid. Reduce the flame to medium.
- Leave it to steam cook for few mins. Removed the lid after 2-3 mins Open the lid and turn the dosa to the other side. Do not cover with lid. Let it be on the pan for 1 more min, then remove the dosa from the pan. Serve. Repeat the same for the rest. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later use, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category