Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:5 mins CookTime:15 mins Cuisine:Indian
When compared to refined wheat, Bulgur/Bulgar wheat is a much better source of vitamins, minerals, fibre, antioxidants and phyto nutrients. Bulgur /Bulgar wheat is low in fat, high in minerals like manganese, magnesium and iron, plus it’s a good source of plant-based protein. It can help you lose belly fat (info from internet).
Bulgar wheat / dalia pulao is a one-pot meal recipe for which I have used a rice cooker, but you can even make it in a pressure cooker / instant pot / stove top too.
This is the quickest of all, b’cos bulgar cooks up very soon, just within 10-15 mins. My entire family liked it very much, and I even packed it for my kids lunch box. Bear in mind, though this recipe is Vegan, its NOT GLUTEN-FREE.
As shown in the pics below, we had this pulao along with Sweet Mango Raita and Tomato Chutney (recipe link⇒ Tomato Chutney / Tomato Pachchadi and lemon slices to squeeze upon.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
My other Meal recipes here⇒ Main Course
Breakfast recipes collection⇒ Breakfast / Tiffin
Chutney recipes collection here⇒ Chutney / Pachchadi / Dip
- Tamatar Ka Salan/ Stuffed Tomato Gravy Curry / Gutti Tomat
- Aloo-Matar Masala / Potato-Peas Gravy Curry
- Couscous Upma / Savoury Meal
- Bulgar/Bulgur Wheat – 1 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Salt – 1 teaspoon (or) as per taste
- Green Chillies – 4
- Bay leaves – 2
- Cinnamon Stick – 1 small
- Cloves – 4
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Onions – 2 small
- Mixed Veggies (chopped) – 1 cup
- Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Coriander – 10 twigs
Ingredients for Tempering: (optional section)
- Urad dal / Minapappu / Split Black gram – 1½ teaspoon
- Mustard seeds / Aavalu – 1 teaspoon
- Chana dal / Split Yellow gram dal – 1½ teaspoon
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Sesame Seeds – 1 teaspon
- Dry Red Chillies – 2
- Curry Leaves – 4 to 5
- Green Chillies
- Bay leaves
- Cinnamon Stick
Step wise pics Procedure:
- Firstly, peel the onions, chop the ginger and onions finely.
- Slit the green chillies length wise and finely chop the coriander.
- Put a wide frying pan, on stove top under medium heat.
- Add all the ‘Ingredients for Tempering’, and let them splutter.
- Next add the slit green chillies, chopped ginger, bay leaves, cinnamon and cloves. Saute them for a minute.
- Transfer the chopped onions and saute them until they become transparent.
- Add the chopped vegetables, stir fry everything for a minute and switch the flame off.
- Transfer all the above content into the rice cooker/ pressure cooker/ stove top vessel.
- Measure and add the Bulgar wheat & water.
- Add enough salt , gently mix everything.
- Close the lid, switch on and let it cook until it turns to warm mode.
- Open the lid, using a spatula very gently combine everything thoroughly.
- Garnish it with chopped coriander and serve. Done!!
- The ‘Ingredients for tempering’ part of the recipe is optional, you can skip it and start off from the next step.
- Adjust the salt & spice according to your taste.
- You can add any vegetables of your choice.
- If using pressure cooker, let it cook for 2 whistles.
- For stove top just 15 mins of cooking time should be fine.
- This dish stays good just for 1 day at room temperature.
- However, it can be stored in refrigerator up to 3 days and warmed before serving.
- The taste of this, Bulgar wheat / dalia pulao is not spicy, but yes it is full of flavours from all the spices we added.
- As shown in the pics below, we had this pulao along with Sweet Mango Raita and Tomato Chutney (recipe link⇒ Tomato Chutney / Tomato Pachchadi) and lemon slices to squeeze upon.
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category