Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:5 mins CookTime:15 mins Cuisine:Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
Bulgar wheat / dalia pulao is one of my go to, quick & easy meal recipes, with easily available ingredients at home. One other such recipe being Rava Upma / Semolina Savoury Porridge, Did you notice the prep time is just 5 mins?? Ya, thats the prime concern for many of us, Mums. Yesterday, when my kids were pretty hungry and were waiting for their dinner, I made this just within 15 mins (from start to finish). Such meals are always quite handy for such circumstances.
We all loved it, so much, that my kids were interested to be packed for their lunch box. Made the same during the weekday for their lunch box, they loved it even when it has turned cold by the afternoon.
We had this pulao along with Sweet Mango Raita and Tomato Chutney (recipe link⇒ Roasted Tomato Chutney / Kalchina Tomato Pachchadi and lemon slices to squeeze upon.
What is Bulgar Wheat?
Bulgar is a whole grain made from cracked wheat. The best feature of bulgar wheat is, it cooks very easily in minimum time. Because of its low calories, Bulgar wheat is one of the alternative grains for rice.
Bulgar wheat is called as godhuma ravva / godhuma nooka in South India and as Daliya / Dalia in North India.
Possible alterations in the recipe, ‘Bulgar Wheat Pulao / Dalia Pilaf’:
Under the ‘Ingredients for Tempering’, just add whatever you have readily available. Adding any of those spices and pulses gives the actual flavour to the entire dish.
Additional Flavour: You might add a teaspoon of garam masala powder (or) even curry powder as a seasoning to get that exceptional aroma.
Vegetables to be used: If you are short of mixed vegetables, just use same amount of potatoes.
Health Benefits of the recipe, ‘Bulgar Wheat Pulao / Dalia Pilaf’:
Bulgar Wheat, When compared to refined wheat, Bulgur/Bulgar wheat is a much better source of vitamins, minerals, fibre, antioxidants and Phyto nutrients. It is low in fat, high in minerals like manganese, magnesium and iron, plus it’s a good source of plant-based protein. It can help you lose belly fat (info from internet).
Mixed Vegetables, are filled with healthy nutrients, vitamins, minerals and dietary fibre.
To Conclude, This is quick and easy to make, one pot, wholesome, plant based meal filled with minerals and anti-oxidants. Suitable for diabetic, low carbs, weight loss diet. Bear in mind, though this recipe is Vegan, its NOT GLUTEN-FREE.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
My other Meal recipes here⇒ Main Course
Breakfast recipes collection⇒ Breakfast / Tiffin
Instant Pot recipes collection⇒ Electric Pressure Cooker / Instant Pot Recipes
- Aloo-Matar Masala / Potato-Peas Gravy Curry
- Rava Upma / Semolina Savoury Porridge
- Lentils & Veg Rice (Electric Pressure Cooker)
- Bulgar / Bulgur Wheat – 2 cups
- Water – 3 cups
- Salt – 2 teaspoons (or) as per taste
- Green Chillies – 6 (slit length wise)
- Ginger – 1 inch piece (minced)
- Onions – 2 small (chopped)
- Mixed Veggies (chopped) – 1½ cups
- Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – handful (for garnish)
Ingredients for Tempering:
- Urad dal / Minapappu / Split Black gram – 1½ teaspoon
- Mustard seeds / Aavalu – 1 teaspoon
- Chana dal / Split Yellow gram dal – 1½ teaspoon
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – 2 teaspoons
- Sesame Seeds – 1 teaspon (optional)
- Dry Red Chillies – 2
- Curry Leaves – 4 to 5
- Bay leaves – 2
- Cinnamon Stick – 2 small
- Cloves – 6
- Green Chillies
- Bay leaves
- Cinnamon Stick
Step Wise Pics Procedure for ‘Bulgar Wheat Pilaf / Godhuma nooka / Dalia Pulao’:
STOVE TOP METHOD:
INSTANT POT METHOD:
- Adjust the salt & spice according to your taste.
- You can add any vegetables of your choice.
- If using stove top pressure cooker, let it cook for 2 whistles.
- This dish stays good just for 1 day at room temperature.
- However, it can be stored in refrigerator up to 2-3 days and warmed before serving.
- The taste of this, Bulgar wheat / dalia pulao is not spicy, but yes it is full of flavours from all the spices we added.
- Its a family friendly recipe, you can get your kids to eat mixed veggies in every portion.
- We had this pulao along with Sweet Mango Raita and Tomato Chutney (recipe link⇒ Tomato Chutney / Tomato Pachchadi) and lemon slices to squeeze upon.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Bulgar Wheat Pulao / Dalia Pilaf
- Frying pan (for stove-top method)
- Sauce Pan / Vessel (for stove-top method)
- Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker (for IP method)
- 2 cups Bulgar / Bulgur Wheat / Dalia / Godhumaravva
- 2 cups Water
- 2 teaspoons Salt (or as per taste)
- 6 count Green Chillies (slit length wise)
- 1 inch piece Ginger (minced)
- 2 count Onions (small size) (chopped)
- 1½ cups Mixed Veggies (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons Cooking Oil
- a handful Fresh Coriander Leaves (for garnish)
Ingredients for Tempering:
- 1½ teaspoon Urad dal / Minapappu / Split Black gram
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds / Aavalu
- 1½ teaspoon Chana dal / Split Yellow gram dal
- 2 teaspoons Jeera / Cumin Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Seeds (optional)
- 2 count Dry Red Chillies
- 4 to 5 count Curry Leaves
- 2 count Bay leaves
- 2 count Cinnamon Sticks / Dalchini
- 6 count Cloves
STOVE TOP METHOD:
- Put a wide frying pan, on stove top under medium heat. Add all the ‘Ingredients for Tempering’, saute them and let them splutter.
- Next add the slit green chillies, chopped ginger, onions. Fry them until the onions soften.
- Add the chopped mixed vegetables, stir fry everything for a minute and switch the flame off.
- Transfer all the above content into the stove top vessel. (or rice cooker/ stove top pressure cooker).
- Add the salt & enough water as per given measurement.Give a mix, put the vessel on stove top under low-medium flame with the lid closed.
- Let it cook for 10-15 mins. Later switch the flame off. Open the lid, using a spatula very fluff up / combine everything thoroughly. Garnish it with chopped coriander and serve. Done!!
INSTANT POT METHOD:
- Switch ON the GADGET, set to SAUTE mode for 5 mins. Add the OIL, let it heat. Transfer all the 'Ingredients for tempering'. Sauté everything until the pulses turn light brown in colour.
- Immediately transfer all the chopped onions, ginger, slit green chillies. Fry just for 1 min, let the onions soften.
- Next, add the bulgar wheat and the chopped mixed vegetables. Give everything a stir. Cancel the SAUTE MODE.
- Add the salt & enough water as per measurement. Give a mix, close the lid, seal the valve, set to PRESSURE COOK MODE under HIGH PRESSURE for 4 mins.
- Later release the pressure naturally. Using a fork gently fluff up the pulao, garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category