Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:5 mins CookTime:20 mins Cuisine: Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
First things first, this recipe is from my own creation. I mean not-an-idea of any others or from any other source.
Generally, I try to incorporate sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, sesame seeds, watermelon seeds etc occasionally in my cooking.
But these days, I started to use them more frequently than before. This recipe once such, which my family adored.
My little son was given that small award (in the pic below) for his good performance throughout the year, in football course (end-of-year award).
That day, while he returned back home from school, he was so happy with such a big smile on his face holding that award. Bless him!
Marking this day, I made these energy balls / laddoos to celebrate. Coz, I know he is fond of laddoos, and so he would love them. 🙂
Table of Contents:
- Possible alterations in the recipe, ‘Sunflower Seeds Laddoo’:
- Health Benefits of ‘Sunflower Seeds Ladoo / Sunflower Seeds Energy Balls’:
- Other recipes from my blog:
- Step wise pics procedure for ‘Sunflower Seeds Laddu / Sunflower Seeds Energy balls’:
- Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
- Recipe Card & Print:
Possible alterations in the recipe, ‘Sunflower Seeds Laddoo’:
Instead of sugar add grated jaggery with the same quantity.
The desiccated coconut coating can be avoided, if not interested.
You might happily eliminate the Pistachio Nuts, to make the recipe completely nut free.
Vegans, will have to use coconut oil instead of ghee. Don’t bother it works well.
Health Benefits of ‘Sunflower Seeds Ladoo / Sunflower Seeds Energy Balls’:
Sunflower seeds Reduces Risk for Heart Disease, Helps to Prevent Cancer Due to High Antioxidant Content, Supports Thyroid Function, Helps Combat Osteoporosis, Bone Loss, and Muscle Cramps, Balances Blood Sugar Levels, Helps Ward off Diabetes. They are an excellent source of Vitamin-E.
Pistachios have high levels of unsaturated fatty acids and fibres. They help to keep the blood sugar and cholesterol under control.
Roasted Chana Dal is rich in protein and high in folic acid.
To conclude, these ladoo are gluten free, filled with protein, fibre, vitamin-E, good to control cholesterol.
Other recipes from my blog:
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Dessert recipes collection here⇒ Desserts / Mithayi
Healthy Sweet Treats within 20 mins⇒ After School / Lunch Box Sweet Treats
Air fryer recipes collection⇒ Air Fryer Recipes
- Atukulu Laddu / Poha Ladoo
- Carrot Coconut Ladoo / Sweet Treats
- Ragi-Nuvvula Laddu / Millet-Sesame Sweet Balls / Bhakri-Til Laddoo
- Minapa Sunnundalu / Urad Dal Laddoo
- Sunflower Seeds – ¾ cup
- Roasted Chana Dal / Roasted Split Yellow Chickpeas / Putnala Pappu – 1 cup (heaped)
- Sugar / Jaggery – 1 cup
- Pistachios – 5
- Melted Ghee / Melted Butter – ¼ cup
- Cardamom Powder / Elaichi Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Desiccated Coconut / Grated Fresh Coconut – 3 tablespoons
- Roasted Chana Dal / Roasted Split Yellow Chickpeas / Putnala Pappu
Step wise pics procedure for ‘Sunflower Seeds Laddu / Sunflower Seeds Energy balls’:
- Whatever might be the size of your measuring cup, the ratio should be the same.
- For the above quantity of ingredients, I got 20 laddoos of the above size.
- Vegans, can use Coconut Oil for Ghee / Butter that I had mentioned.
- I used unrefined cane sugar which is same as jaggery, so my laddoos colour is a bit darker.
- Be generous while using the ghee/butter, it will enhance the taste of laddoos.
- Apply some ghee / butter to your palms for rolling the laddoos.
- These energy balls / laddoos can be had immediately once they are rolled.
- Storage: They stay good up to 10 days at room temperature when stored in an air tight container. And they can also be stored in refrigerator for longer life.
- The taste of these, Sunflower seeds laddu / energy balls / ladoo, is just awesome. They were just simply sliding over the tongue & melted in the mouth! 🙂
- As we made powder of everything the texture is obviously smooth.
- Needless to say, my 3 kids loved these new flavoured laddoos soooo much!! 🙂 🙂 🙂
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe Card & Print:
Sunflower Seeds Ladoo / Laddu / Sunflower Seeds Energy Balls
- ¾ cup Sunflower Seeds
- 1 cup Roasted Chana Dal / Roasted Split Yellow Chickpeas / Putnala Pappu (heaped)
- 1 cup Sugar / Jaggery
- 5 count Pistachios
- ¼ cup Melted Ghee / Melted Butter
- ½ teaspoon Cardamom Powder / Elaichi Powder
- 3 tablespoons Desiccated Coconut / Grated Fresh Coconut
- Firstly, get all the ingredients measured. Finely chop the pistachios for garnish. Spread the desiccated coconut / freshly grated coconut onto a small plate. Put everything on kitchen platform.
- Put a frying pan / vessel on stove top under low flame. Add the sun-flower seeds and dry roast them until you get a pleasant aroma and they change their colour. At this stage switch the flame off and set them to cool completely.
- Using a spice blender / mixie, grind these (one after another) into fine powders>>> Roasted Chana Dal / Putnala Pappu / Roasted Split Chickpeas, Sugar, Roasted Sunflower seeds.Transfer the powders into a wide mixing plate. Add the powdered cardamom to the same. Combine all the dry powders thoroughly with a spoon.
- Warm the ghee and pour it little by little into the powder mix slowly. Using your hands, shape the laddoos between your palms, as you pour the ghee for enough consistency of making the laddoos / balls.
- After shaping each laddoo roll it onto the desiccated coconut so that it would stick to the wet laddoos. Then, top each with chopped pistachios and set them to dry.
- When dried, transfer the laddoos / energy balls, into an air tight container. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can find my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category