Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
Prep Time:2 mins CookTime:20 mins Cuisine:Indian
Dibba Rotte / Plumpy Roti is a copyright recipe of Andhra Pradesh. While Dibba means plumpy and Rotte means roti/ chapathi. It is completely Vegan and Gluten free recipe. Moreover, it is protein rich (because of the Lentils) and has equal quantity of carbohydrates (with the rice in it).
Every state of India have traditional breakfast recipes pertaining to that state. With that regard, I wanted to introduce this breakfast recipe of Andhra Pradesh (a southern state of India).
Traditionally, this rotte/roti is accompanied with jaggery and is topped with honey. As I had shown in the pic below. Seeing all this, I might consider this as the PAN CAKE of South India. I hope even you would agree seeing the pics.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end
Breakfast recipes collection here⇒ Breakfast / Tiffin
Chutney Recipes Collection⇒ Chutney / Pachchadi / Dip
Ingredients: (to make 2 dibba rotte)
- Idli Batter – 2 cups
- Salt – as per taste
- Cooking Oil – 4 tablespoons
Step wise pics Procedure:
- Firstly , we need to have the idli batter ready for this recipe.
- In case you need the recipe for Idli batter here is my recipe link⇒ Idli
- And my Idli batter looks like the below pic (when I make with the above recipe link).
- Take the required idli batter into a bowl, get the required consistency (as shown in pic below) by adding 3-4 tablespoons of water (ONLY if needed) and mix thoroughly.
- Take a small frying pan or dosa griddle, put it on stove top under medium flame.
- Add ½ teaspoon of oil onto the pan.
- Pour one cup of batter onto the pan, add a teaspoon of oil surrounding the batter.
- Don’t spread it like you do for dosa, just let it spread on its own.
- Immediately, close the pan with lids for it to steam.
- Let it cook with the lid closed, for about 3-5 mins approximately. Then open the lid.
- Now, change the flame to LOWEST possible and turn the rotte / roti to the other side.
- Add ½ teaspoon of oil around the rotte/roti and ½ teaspoon of oil onto the rotte/roti.
- Let it cook for more 3-5 mins under low flame, WITHOUT the lid on until its perfectly cooked. See pic below.
- Then take the rotte/roti from the pan onto a serving plate.
- Repeat the same for the next rotte too. Switch the flame off. Done!!
- Be generous while using the oil for this recipe. It does require more oil to get crispy outer part.
- Let the pan be closed with lid, for the batter steam perfectly, at the bottom.
- You can make the rotte(s) well before and store them in an air-tight container.
- They stay good upto a minimum of 2-3 days.
- Hence, these dibba rotte (Andhra Breakfast recipe), are perfectly suitable for travel and kids lunch boxes too.
- The taste of this, dibba rotte (andhra breakfast recipe), is just like a thick dosa.
- The texture is crunchy on the outside and soft in the inside.
- It can be served with any chutney. We had it Mint-Coconut Chutney / Pudina-Kobbari Pachchadi) and Karappodi/ Hemp Seeds – Chutney Powder)
You can Pin it here for later use, Pinterest:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category