Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:1-2 hrs CookTime:10 mins Cuisine:Indian
This is the first time I made a salad with radish and was a bit uncertain about the final taste. But, surprisingly this salad turned really tasty that I had a second serving.
It is so quick to make ,we had it as part of our dinner. Of course, this, Radish lentil Salad / Kosambari is a Vegan+Gluten free recipe but protein rich because of the Lentils.
Kosambari is the name given to South Indian Salad seasoned with mustard seeds.
Health Benefits of Radish
Radish is one pinky vegetable that can be eaten raw or cooked and it has lots of health benefits. Mainly, it is high on fiber,controls blood pressure,improves immunity,high on nutrients,good for skin (Info from internet).
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned in the end.
My Salad recipes collection here⇒ Salads & Soups
Weight Loss recipes collection⇒ Weight Loss Food / Low Carb Recipes
Related Posts with ‘Yellow Lentils’⇒
- Pesarapappu Payasam / Yellow Moong Dal Kheer
- Broccoli-Squash Lentil Stew / Broccoli-Sorakaya Pappu/ Broccoli-Tinda Dal
- Sorakaya-Pesarapappu / Lauki-MungDal / BottleGourd-LentilStew
- Pink Radish – 2 small bunches (20 no’)
- Yellow Split Lentils/Yellow Mung Dal/Pesarapappu – ½ cup
- Coriander (chopped) – ¼ cup
- Grated Coconut/Desiccated Coconut – 2 tablespoons
- Water – for soaking
Ingredients for Tempering:
- Cooking Oil – 2 tablespoon
- Green chilly – 1
- Curry Leaves – 6 to 7 (minimum)
- Mustard seeds/Aavaalu – 1 teaspoon
- Sesame seeds / Nuvvulu – 1 teaspoon
Ingredients for dressing:
- Lemon juice – 2 tablespoons
- Sugar/Honey – 2 tablespoons
- Salt – as per taste (optional)
- Split Yellow Lentils
- Lemon Juice
Step wise pics Procedure:
- Firstly, wash the lentils/ pesarapappu thoroughly two to three times and soak them with double the amount of water.
- After 1-2 hrs drain the water off and take the lentils/ pesarapappu aside.
- Chop/Cut the radish into desired size/shape and finely chop the green chilli.
- Put a frying pan under medium flame on stove top and all the ‘Ingredients for tempering’.
- Saute them until the seeds splitter-splatter.
- Switch the flame off , add the lentils to the hot pan and give a mix.
- Take a wide salad bowl, add the radish pieces, chopped coriander and all the contents of the pan.
- In a small cup thoroughly whisk the ‘Ingredients for dressing’.
- Drizzle the dressing onto the salad and then add the coconut.
- Gently toss the salad using two wooden ladles, such that the dressing is coated over the rest of the salad. Done!!
- You can even use White Radish.
- Adjust salt and spice according to your taste.
- You can completely avoid the tempering,if you wish to.
- Even before tasting the salad, my tummy felt full, seeing the pretty pink and yellow coloured fresh salad.
- The taste of this, Radish lentil Salad / Kosambari is dominated mainly with the lentils, as the radish didn’t had any specific taste.
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest Link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category