Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:1-2 hrs CookTime:5 mins Cuisine:Indian
This is the first time I made a salad with radish and was a bit uncertain about the final taste. But, surprisingly this salad turned really tasty that I had a second serving.
It is so quick to make, we had it as part of our dinner. Of course, this, Radish Lentil Salad / Kosambari is a Vegan+Gluten free recipe but protein rich because of the Lentils.
Kosambari or Kosumalli, is the name given to South Indian Salad seasoned with a simple tempering having mustard seeds and curry leaves. Hope you would try!
Health Benefits of ‘Radish – Yellow Lentil Salad / Kosambari’:
Radish is one pinky vegetable that can be eaten raw or cooked and it has lots of health benefits. Mainly, it is high on fiber, controls blood pressure, improves immunity, high on nutrients, good for skin.
Yellow Lentils / Moong Dal, has benefits of non-animal protein, rich sourse of dietary fibre and other nutrients.
To conclude, this salad is filled with protein, fibre and is low in calories. It is suitable for Plant Based, Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten free, Kids, Diabetic,Nut free, Grain free diets.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned in the end.
Other Salad recipes collection⇒ Salads & Soups
Weight Loss recipes collection⇒ Weight Loss Food / Low Carb Recipes
Kids Lunch Box collection⇒ Lunch Box Collection
- Pesarapappu Payasam / Yellow Moong Dal Kheer
- Broccoli-Squash Lentil Stew / Broccoli-Tinda Dal (Instant Pot, Stove Top)
- Green Mung (Sprouts) Rainbow Salad
- Nimmakaya Pappu / Lemon / Lime Dal (Instant Pot, Stove Top)
- Pink Radish – 2 small bunches (20 no’)
- Yellow Split Lentils/ Yellow Mung Dal / Pesarapappu – ½ cup
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – ¼ cup (chopped)
- Grated Coconut (fresh / desiccated) – 2 tablespoons (optional)
- Grated Fresh Carrot – ¼ cup (heaped)
- Water – 2 cups (for soaking lentils)
- Lemon / Lime juice – 1 to 2 tablespoons
- Salt – as per taste (optional)
Ingredients for Tempering:
- Cooking Oil – 2 tablespoon
- Green chillies – 2
- Curry Leaves – 6 to 7
- Mustard seeds / Aavaalu – 1 teaspoon
- Sesame seeds / Nuvvulu – 1 teaspoon
- Split Yellow Lentils
- Lemon Juice
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Radish Lentil Salad / Kosambari’:
- You can even use White Radish instead of pink radish.
- Adjust salt and spice according to your taste.
- If you soak the lentils in hot water they are ready to be used within 1 hr. But if you soak the lentils in normal water, they need atleast 2 hrs to be used for the salad.
- Grated Coconut is just an optional ingredient. But surely adds to the taste of the salad.
- I included this salad as part of our meal platter>>> Bhojanam/Thali/Platter # 4
- Whole Food Plant Based / Oil Free method: Avoid the oil, tempering and mustard seeds. Just take all the rest of the ingredients into a mixing bowl, toss and serve.
- Storage: This salad stays good upto only 1 day at room temperatur and upto 2 days when stored in fridge.
- Even before tasting the salad, my tummy felt full, seeing the pretty pink, orange and yellow coloured fresh salad.
- The taste of this, Radish lentil Salad / Kosambari is dominated mainly with the lentils, as the radish didn’t had any specific taste.
- The tempering and coriander leaves gave a nice aroma.
Radish – Lentil Salad / Kosambari
- Frying pan (for stove-top method)
- Wide Mixing Bowl
- 1 small bunch Pink Radish (10 count)
- ½ cup Yellow Split Lentils / Yellow Mung Dal / Pesarapappu
- ¼ cup Fresh Coriander Leaves (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Grated Coconut (fresh / desiccated) (optional)
- ¼ cup Grated Fresh Carrot (heaped)
- 2 cups Water (for soaking lentils)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Lemon / Lime juice
- as per taste Salt (optional)
Ingredients for Tempering:
- 2 tablespoon Cooking Oil
- 2 count Green chillies
- 6 to 7 count Curry Leaves
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds / Aavaalu
- 1 teaspoon Sesame seeds / Nuvvulu
- Firstly, wash the lentils/pesarapappu thoroughly two to three times, soak them with 2 cups of water. After 1-2 hrs drain the water off and take the lentils aside. Chop / Cut the radish into desired size/shape, grate the carrot and finely chop the green chilli.
- Put a frying pan under medium flame on stove top and all the 'Ingredients for tempering'. Saute them until the seeds splitter-splatter.
- Switch the flame off , add the lentils to the hot pan and give a mix.
- Take a wide salad bowl, add the radish pieces, chopped coriander leaves and all the contents of the pan.
- Top up with grated fresh carrot, grated coconut and lemon juice. Gently mix up everything using a ladle on each hand.
- Transfer to serving bowls. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest Link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category