Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10 mins CookTime:15 mins Cuisine:Indian
This Coconut rice recipe is a very easy peasy one. And is absolutely plain (without any masala) Vegan+Gluten free yet its full of flavours. This one-pot meal can be made with freshly cooked rice or with left over rice too.Try it and see! 🙂
Coconuts are excellent for one’s immunity. They are antiviral, anti-fungal, antibacterial, and anti-parasitic, meaning they kill harmful bacteria, viruses, fungi, and parasites. Because of that, if you consume coconut in any of its various forms, can help treat some of mankind’s worst and most resilient of illnesses such as influenza, lice, throat infections, urinary tract infections, tapeworms, bronchitis, and numerous other ailments (info from internet).
We had Pudina Raita / Mint-Yogurt Dip as a side along with this rice.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned in the end.
You might see my other Meal recipes here⇒ Main Course
- Carrot-Coconut Halwa / Carrot-Kobbari Halwa
- Mint-Coconut Chutney / Pudina-Kobbari Pachchadi
- Beetroot-Coconut Stir Fry / Beetroot-Kobbari Koora
- Rice (cooked) – With 3 cups of rice grains
- Fresh Grated Coconut – 1 cup
- Salt – 4 teaspoons (or) as per taste
- Coconut oil / Cooking Oil – ½ cup
- Hing/Inguva/Asafoetida – ½ teaspoon
- Dry Red Chillies – 5
- Green Chillies – 5
- Curry Leaves – 10
Ingredients for Tempering:
- Urad dal / Minapappu / Split Black gram – 1½ teaspoon
- Mustard seeds / Aavalu – 1 teaspoon
- Chana dal / Split Yellow gram dal – 1½ teaspoon
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Sesame Seeds – 1 teaspon
- Cashew Nuts – a handful
- Ground Nuts – 10 (optional)
- Fresh Grated Coconut
Step wise pics Procedure:
- Firstly, get the rice cooked and keep it ready.
- Cut the green chillies length wise.
- Next, put a frying pan on stove top under medium flame.
- Add half of the oil and all the items under ‘Ingredients for Tempering’.
- Saute the tempering items and then add the slit green chillies,dry red chillies & curry leaves.
- Saute them until the red chillies darken in colour, then add the grated coconut into the pan.
- At this stage, change the flame to low, add the rest of the oil and stir the contents frequently so that they are not burnt.
- Saute them for about 5-7 mins or until the raw smell & crunchiness of coconut is reduced.
- Mix everything thoroughly more than twice so that the coconut and tempering are all blended well with the rice.
- Let it be on stove for 3-4 mins, then switch the flame off. Done!!
- If you are using hot steamed rice, let it cool at room temperature and then proceed with the recipe.
- But for left over rice, you can use it right away for this recipe.
- You can use any type of rice for this recipe. I used Sona Masoori rice.
- The heart of this, Kobbari annam / Coconut rice, recipe lies in the grated coconut. So be careful, not to burn it.
- Coconut Oil works perfectly for this particular recipe but any cooking oil would be fine too.
- Adjust the salt and spice according to your taste.
- It can be made with freshly cooked rice or with left over rice too.
- It stays good for 1 day at room temperature.
- The taste of this, Kobbari annam / Coconut rice, is yummily delicious. Even my three kids just love it.
- It can be served with chilled curd/yogurt and with any chutney/dip on the side. Or can be eaten as it is.
- We had it with Pudina Raita / Mint-Yogurt Dip .
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest Link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category