Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:3-4hrs CookTime:10 mins Cuisine: Indian
Lentils / Legumes are the best source of protein for vegan / vegetarian diet. Being the highest source of protein, I definitely include every single day diet.
Sometimes in the breakfast or snack or part of the main meal. We are so much used in having lentils in our daily life that, we get an empty feel with a meal that doesn’t have a lentil based dish in it.
Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Tri Dal Grain Free Uthappam / Tri Lentil Savoury Pancakes’:
This, tri dal uthappam / pancakes is basically an Indian breakfast recipe, but suitable for any time of the day too. You may use any other toppings such as tomatoes, grated carrot, grated cucumber etc.
Health Benefits of ‘Tri Lentil Savoury Pancakes / Uthappam’:
I have already included many recipes with lentils /legumes in my blog.
This uthappam / savoury pan cakes recipe is very unique because, it comes under Keto Diet as it does not include any grains in it.
It also has the goodness of protein from 3 different lentils.
It is evidently suitable for people with strict diet plans, and for those in search of easy protein rich recipe. A Vegan, Gluten free, Protein rich, Grain free, Keto friendly, Weight Loss Diet recipe.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Recipe for the chutney in the pic⇒ Capsicum – Tomato Chutney / Pachchadi
Weight Loss Diet Recipes Collection⇒ Weight Loss Food / Low Carb Recipes
Breakfast recipes collection here⇒ Breakfast / Tiffin
- Oil Free – Healthy Dosa / Without Oil Dosa
- Masala Vada / Lentil Masala Nuggets (Stove Top, Air Fryer, Oven Baked)
- Weight Loss Food / Low Carb Recipes
Ingredients: (for 12 uthappams / pancakes)
- Whole Urad dal/ MinapaGundlu / Skinless Black gram – 1 cup
- Masoor Dal / Yerra Kandi Pappu / Split Red Lentils – 1 cup
- Chana Dal / Senaga Pappu / Bengal Gram / Split yellow lentils – 1 cup
- Salt – as per taste
- Water – for soaking
- Onions – 1 (chopped)
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – 3 tablespoon (finely chopped)
- Green Chillies – 4 (finely chopped)
- Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoons (or) as needed
- Green Chillies
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Tri Dal uthappam / Tri Lentil Savoury Pancakes’:
- You can even soak the lentils overnight (7-8 hrs) and grind them in the morning to use them immediately.
- There is no need for fermentation, but its fine even if you do so.
- Be careful, with the batter consistency, it shouldn’t be too watery nor too thick.
- After pouring the batter on the griddle don’t try to spread it throughout the griddle/pan, like we do it for regular dosa.
- This batter can be stored in the refrigerator up to a week, and can be used for making uthappam / pancakes, instantly.
- You can use any other toppings like tomatoes, grated carrot, grated cucumber etc.
- Let the uthappam be on the pan until the edges turn crispier.
- The taste of these, tri dal uthappam / savoury pancakes is mindblowing mainly because of the chopped onions, coriander, green chillies topping.
- It had crispy edges and perfectly cooked soft middle part.
- As in the pics below, we had these uthappam / pancake(s) with Capsicum – Tomato Chutney / Pachchadi as a side dip.
- Actually you can just roll them and have as it is, tasted delicious even that way.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Tri Lentil Savoury Pancakes / Tri Dal Uthappam
- 1 cup Whole Urad Dal/Minapa Gundlu/ Skinless Black Gram
- 1 cup Masoor Dal/Yerra Kandi Pappu/Split Red Lentils
- 1 cup Chana Dal/ Senaga Papu/ Bengal Gram/ Split Yellow Lentils
- 1 tablespoon salt (or as per taste)
- as required water (for soaking)
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- 4 small green chillies (finely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons cooking Oil
- Take all the 3 lentils into a large bowl. Wash them thoroughly 2-3 times under running water.
- Add double the amount of fresh water to the same & let them soak for 3-4 hrs. Leave the bowl on kitchen platform.
- Transfer this soaked dal / lentils into a blender/ mixer and grind it into fine batter. Add water as needed to make the batter. (use the soaked water)
- Add enough salt and mix the batter thoroughly.
- Put the dosa pan / pancake griddle on stove top under high flame and let it heat to its best.
- Sprinkle fistful of water onto the griddle/pan and rub it off with a paper towel or an onion piece
- Using a ladle, pour 2 ladles full of the batter onto the griddle / pan.
- Gently spread it a little,(not throughout the pan) let it be thick.
- Add the toppings, finely chopped onions, green chillies and coriander leaves.
- Pour in drop by drop of oil (¼ teaspoon) throughout the circle/ending of the uthappam/pancake.
- Immediately close with a lid and let it steam cook for 2-3 mins.
- Now, put the lid aside, gently turn the uthappam / pancake to the other side. Do not cover with lid.
- Pour in drop by drop of oil (¼ teaspoon) throughout the middle part of the uthappam/pancake.
- Let it be on the griddle / pan for 1 more min and transfer the uthappam / pancake to a serving plate.
- Repeat the same for the rest. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later use, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category