Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:3-4hrs CookTime:10 mins Cuisine:Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
Lentils / Legumes are the best source of protein for vegan / vegetarian diet. Being the highest source of protein, I definitely include every single day diet.
Sometimes in the breakfast or snack or part of the main meal. We are so much used in having lentils in our daily life that, we get an empty feel with a meal that doesn’t have a lentil based dish in it.
I have already included many recipes with lentils / legumes in my blog. Link⇒ Lentil Based Recipes from my blog
Table of Contents:
- ‘DOSA’ recipes from my blog:
- Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Tri Dal Grain Free Uthappam / Tri Lentil Savoury Pancakes’:
- Health Benefits of ‘Tri Lentil Savoury Pancakes / South Indian No Rice Lentil Uthappam’:
- Other recipes from my blog:
- Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Tri Dal uthappam / Tri Lentil Savoury Pancakes’:
- Prepare Dosa Batter:
- Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
- Recipe Card & Print:
‘DOSA’ recipes from my blog:
- Oil Free – Healthy Dosa / Without Oil Dosa
- Puffed Rice Crepes / Murmura Dosa
- Saggubiyyam Dosa / Sabudana (Sago) Dosa
- Breakfast with Black Eyed Peas / Alasanda Dosa
- Dibba Rotte / Plumpy Roti (Andhra style)
Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Tri Dal Grain Free Uttapam / Tri Lentil Savoury Pancakes’:
Fermenting the batter: There is no need for fermentation, but its fine even if you do. After grinding the soaked lentils, transfer into a wide bowl. Leave the bowl on kitchen platform for about 6 to 8 hrs. Or else use an Instant Pot Yogurt Mode for fermentation.
Other suitable toppings: You may use any other toppings such as tomatoes, grated carrot, grated cucumber etc.
Using ghee: Adding a tablespoon of ghee instead of oil, while making the uthappam tastes even great with that fresh aroma.
Oil Free option: Yes, you can make these uthappam without using a single drop of oil. Just follow this method from my own blog⇒ Oil Free Healthy Dosa / Without Oil Dosa (Full Video recipe)
Health Benefits of ‘Tri Lentil Savoury Pancakes / South Indian No Rice Lentil Uthappam’:
Red Lentils, Black lentils, Split Pea Yellow Lentils: All these lentils are an excellent source of plant based protein, iron and folic acid.
To Conclude: It is evidently suitable for people with strict diet plans, and for those in search of easy protein rich recipe. A Vegan, Gluten free, Protein rich, Grain free, Keto friendly, Weight Loss Diet recipe. It comes under Keto Diet as it does not include any grains in it.
Other recipes from my blog:
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Recipe for the chutney in the pic⇒ Capsicum – Tomato Chutney / Pachchadi
Weight Loss Diet Recipes Collection⇒ Weight Loss Food / Low Carb Recipes
Breakfast recipes collection here⇒ Breakfast / Tiffin
Related Posts with ‘LENTILS’:
- Masala Vada / Lentil Masala Nuggets
- Pappu Pulusu / Indian Spicy Lentil Soup
- Green Cucumber Lentil Dal / Keera Dosakaya Pappu
- Andhra Kandi Podi / Lentil Spice Powder
- Cabbage and Masoor Dal / Red Lentil Pakoda
- Radish Lentil Salad / Kosambari
Ingredients: (for 12 uthappams / pancakes)
- Whole Urad dal/ Minapa Gundlu / Skinless Black gram – 1 cup
- Masoor Dal / Yerra Kandi Pappu / Split Red Lentils – 1 cup
- Chana Dal / Senaga Pappu / Bengal Gram / Split yellow lentils – 1 cup
- Salt – as per taste
- Water – as required (for soaking)
- Onions – 1 (chopped)
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – 3 tablespoon (finely chopped)
- Green Chillies – 4 (finely chopped)
- Cooking Oil – 1 tablespoon for each uthappam / pancake
- Green Chillies
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Tri Dal uthappam / Tri Lentil Savoury Pancakes’:
Prepare Dosa Batter:
- You can even soak the lentils overnight (7-8 hrs) and grind them in the morning to use them immediately.
- Be careful, with the batter consistency, it shouldn’t be too watery nor too thick.
- After pouring the batter on the griddle don’t try to spread it throughout the griddle/pan, like we do it for regular dosa.
- Let the uthappam be on the pan until the edges turn crispier.
- Storage: This batter can be stored in the refrigerator up to a week, and can be used for making uthappam / pancakes, instantly.
- The taste of these, tri dal uthappam / savoury pancakes is just mind blowing, mainly because of the toppings>> chopped onions, coriander, green chillies.
- It had crispy edges and perfectly cooked soft middle part.
- As in the pics below, we had these uthappam / pancake(s) with Capsicum – Tomato Chutney / Pachchadi as a side dip.
- Actually, you can just roll them and have as it is, tasted delicious even that way.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe Card & Print:
Tri Lentil Savoury Pancakes / Tri Dal Uthappam
- Wide Mixing Bowl (for making the batter)
- Dosa Pan / Pan Cake griddle
- 1 cup Whole Urad Dal/Minapa Gundlu/ Skinless Black Gram
- 1 cup Masoor Dal/Yerra Kandi Pappu/Split Red Lentils
- 1 cup Chana Dal/ Senaga Papu/ Bengal Gram/ Split Yellow Lentils
- 1 tablespoon salt (or as per taste)
- as required water (for soaking)
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- 4 small green chillies (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Cooking Oil (for each uthappam)
- Take all the 3 lentils into a large bowl. Wash them thoroughly 2-3 times under running water.
- Add double the amount of fresh water to the same & let them soak for 3-4 hrs. Leave the bowl on kitchen platform.
- Transfer this soaked dal / lentils into a blender/ mixer and grind it into fine batter. Add water as needed to make the batter. (use the soaked water)
- Add enough salt and mix the batter thoroughly.
- Put the dosa pan / pancake griddle on stove top under high flame and let it heat to its best.
- Sprinkle fistful of water onto the griddle/pan and rub it off with a paper towel or an onion piece
- Using a ladle, pour 2 ladles full of the batter onto the griddle / pan.
- Gently spread it a little,(not throughout the pan) let it be thick.
- Add the toppings, finely chopped onions, green chillies and coriander leaves.
- Pour in drop by drop of oil (½ teaspoon) throughout the circle/ending of the uthappam/pancake.
- Immediately close with a lid and let it steam cook for 2-3 mins.
- Now, put the lid aside, gently turn the uthappam / pancake to the other side. Do not cover with lid.
- Pour in drop by drop of oil (½ teaspoon) throughout the middle part of the uthappam/pancake.
- Let it be on the griddle / pan for 1 more min and transfer the uthappam / pancake to a serving plate.
- Repeat the same for the rest. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later use, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category