Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:5 mins CookTime:10 mins Cuisine:Indian
Upma otherwise translated as Savoury Porridge is the cheapest, simplest comfort food of any common man in India. There are many varieties of Upma, while this is one of them made with Upma Rava / Bombay Rava / Semolina .
Its made as morning breakfast, for brunch with other items, or for dinner, or for lunch boxes, or any other occasion as a supplement. It takes hardly 10-15 mins to make this superb simple dish. It can be taken with any curry or chutney or curd or any pickle or just as it is. Tastes good in any way.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned in the end.
My Breakfast / tiffin recipes collection here⇒ Breakfast / Tiffin
- Biyyappindi Upma / Rice Flour Savoury Porridge
- Couscous Upma / Savoury Meal
- Instant Jonna Attu / Jowar Dosa / Sorgham Crepe
Platter of Cashew Rava Upma / Semolina Savoury Porridge served with Ginger Chutney and Tomato Chutney.
- Upma Rava / Bombay Rava / Semolina – 1 large cup/bowl
- Ginger – 1 tiny piece
- Salt – 1½ teaspoon
- Cooking Oil – 4 tablespoons
- Dry Red Chillies – 2
- Green Chillies – 4
- Hot water – 3 large cups/bowls.
- Curry Leaves – 5 to 6
- Onion – 1 large
Ingredients for Tempering :
- Cashew Nuts – 1 fistful
- Mustard seeds / Aavalu – ¼ teaspoon
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds -½ teaspoon
- Chana dal / Split Yellow gram dal – ½ teaspoon (optional)
- Urad dal / Minapappu / Split Black gram – ½ teaspoon (optional)
- Hot water
- Curry Leaves
- Cashew Nuts
- First, cut the green chillies length wise, cut the onion and chop the ginger piece.
- Put a medium sized pan on stove top under medium flame.
- Add the oil and heat it.
- Add all the items under ‘Ingredients for tempering’. Sautee them until they turn golden brown. See pics below.
- Now, add the red chillies,curry leaves and green chillies to the sauteed items in the pan.
- After a minute, add all the onion pieces.
- Stir fry the onions and let them become transparent.Adding chopped onions to the tempered ingredients
- While the onions are getting fried get the water boiled.
- Add the water slowly to the pan and add salt too. Give everything a gentle stir.
- Wait until the water forms bubbles.
- At this stage reduce the flame to lowest possible.
- Then, slowly pour the rava / semolina into the hot boiling water with left hand. And continuously gently stir with the right hand.
- Until, it forms thick in consistency.
- Cover the pan with lid for the rava / semolina to be cooked perfectly and to get the flavours.
- After 2-3 mins remove the lid, turn the flame off and serve. Done!!
- Don’t try to avoid the tempering, as its the main source of flavour for the entire dish.
- You can increase the quantity of cashew nuts or remove completely.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- You need to be careful that lumps are not formed, while adding the semolina and mixing.
- You can reduce or increase the water quantity to get your desired consistency. But what I mentioned is the apt ratio for this Upma.
- The shelf life of this, Rava upma / Semolina porridge, is 1 day at room temperature. But it can stored in fridge, warmed and served. Stays fresh in fridge up to 2-3 days.
- The taste of this dish is absolutely simple with cashew nuts dominating, as we wanted it to. 🙂
- We had this Upma / Savoury Porridge with Tomato Chutney/Tomato Pachchadi and Ginger Chutney/Allam Pachchadi just to balance it with spicy chutneys.Platter of Cashew Rava Upma / Semolina Savoury Porridge served with Ginger Chutney and Tomato Chutney.
You can Pinit here for later use:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can find my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category