Recipe Cooked , Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10mins CookTime:10mins Cuisine:Indian
- Couscous – 1 large cup/ bowl
- Mixed Vegetables(chopped) – ½ of large cup/ bowl
- Hot Boiling Water – 2 large cups/ bowls
- Ginger – 1 tiny piece
- Salt – 2 teaspoon
- Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Dry Red Chillies – 2
- Green Chillies – 5
- Curry Leaves – 5 to 6
- Onion – 1 large
Ingredients for Tempering:
- Mustard seeds / Aavalu – ¼ teaspoon
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric powder / Pasupu – ¼ teaspoon
- Sesame seeds / Nuvvulu – ½ teaspoon (optional)
- Chana dal / Split Yellow gram dal – ½ teaspoon (optional)
- Urad dal / Minapappu / Split Black gram – 1 teaspoon (optional)
- Curry Leaves
- Green Chillies
- First, take the Couscous into a large-wide bowl and add the hot-boiling water into it.
- Close it with lid and set it aside, as shown in pic below. Couscous along with water
- Slit the green chillies length wise, chop the onions and ginger piece.
- Put a medium sized pan on stove top under medium flame.
- Add the oil and heat it.
- Then,add the ‘Ingredients for tempering’. Saute them until they turn golden brown.
- Now, add the red chillies,curry leaves and green chillies to the the pan.
- After a minute, add all the ginger and onion pieces. See pic below.After the tempering, onions & chillies added to pan
- Stir fry the onions and let them become transparent.
- Next,add the mixed vegetables and let them cook. Mixed Veggies added to the pan
- When the vegetables are cooked, transfer the couscous (from the bowl) to the pan and add salt too. See pic below.Couscous from the bowl transferred to the pan
- Reduce the flame to lowest possible,combine everything gently and let it be on stovetop for about 5 mins.
- Switch the flame off and serve. Done!!
- For the tempering, just add the ingredients whichever you have (among the list given).
- The couscous is put in hot boiling water for just 8-10 mins.
- Its going to absorb all the water and gets swollen/cooked.
- Dont bother if you have added a bit less/more water, either way it would work.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- You can even avoid the tempering part incase you want to have it as a salad.
- You can add any vegetables of your choice.
- I used frozen vegetables, if you prefer to use fresh veggies chop them first and then start cooking.
- The taste of this upma/savoury meal is just awesome.
- I truly love to have it as it is, while you can have it with any side or dressing or chutney or dip.
- Check my chutneys/dips here … Chutney / Pachchadi / DipCouscous upma/ savoury meal servedKids loved having it with cucumber slices and friut
You can Pinit here for later, Pinterest Link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category