Recipe Cooked , Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10 mins CookTime:10 mins Cuisine:Indian
Health Benefits of Couscous
Couscous is sugar- and fat-free. Couscous has carbohydrates and is rich in fiber but it has lesser calories than white and brown rice. Its is rich in vitamins and minerals like calcium, phosphorus, selenium, potassium, magnesium, fol-ate among others. With all these nutrients, it will strengthen your bones, muscles, and immune system. Eating couscous can also help improve your blood circulation (Info from internet).
- Biyyappindi Upma / Rice Flour Savoury Porridge
- Rava Upma / Semolina Savoury Porridge
- Broccoli & Carrot Stir Fry
- Couscous – 1 large cup/ bowl
- Mixed Vegetables(chopped) – ½ of large cup/ bowl
- Hot Boiling Water – 2 large cups/ bowls
- Ginger – 1 tiny piece
- Salt – 2 teaspoon
- Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Dry Red Chillies – 2
- Green Chillies – 5
- Curry Leaves – 5 to 6
- Onion – 1 large
Ingredients for Tempering:
- Mustard seeds / Aavalu – ¼ teaspoon
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric powder / Pasupu – ¼ teaspoon
- Sesame seeds / Nuvvulu – ½ teaspoon (optional)
- Chana dal / Split Yellow gram dal – ½ teaspoon (optional)
- Urad dal / Minapappu / Split Black gram – 1 teaspoon (optional)
- Curry Leaves
- Green Chillies
Step wise pics Procedure:
- First, take the Couscous into a large-wide bowl and add the hot-boiling water into it. Close it with lid and set it aside.
- Slit the green chillies length wise, chop the onions and ginger piece.
- Put a medium sized pan on stove top under medium flame.
- Add the oil and heat it.
- Then,add the ‘Ingredients for tempering’. Saute them until they turn golden brown.
- Now, add the red chillies,curry leaves and green chillies to the the pan.
- After a minute, add all the ginger and onion pieces.
- Stir fry the onions and let them become transparent.
- Next,add the mixed vegetables and let them cook.
- When the vegetables are cooked, transfer the couscous (from the bowl) to the pan and add salt too.
- Reduce the flame to lowest possible,combine everything gently and let it be on stove top for about 5 mins.
- Switch the flame off and serve. Done!!
- For the tempering, just add the ingredients whichever you have (among the list given).
- The couscous is put in hot boiling water for just 8-10 mins.
- Its going to absorb all the water and gets swollen/cooked.
- Don’t bother if you have added a bit less/more water, either way it would work.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- You can even avoid the tempering part in case you want to have it as a salad.
- You can add any vegetables of your choice.
- I used frozen vegetables, if you prefer to use fresh veggies chop them first and then start cooking.
- The taste of this, couscous upma / savoury meal, is just awesome.
- I truly love to have it as it is, while you can have it with any side or dressing or chutney or dip.
- Check my chutneys/dips here … Chutney / Pachchadi / Dip
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest Link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category